Friday, 4 November 2016

Week 3

And so it's Friday again 
Another week over 
I swear the weeks are flying by
But I am so glad that this week is over 
And I have a couple of days to recharge my batteries 
This week was better in a lot of ways 
I wrote last week about feeling a bit like an outsider in my class 
I think I probably judged that all wrong 
In fact I was probably making too much of an effort in an attempt to fit in
It's never easy coming in to a new group 
Especially when there are big personalities 
I am on the quiet side 
And it takes me a while to open up and be myself 
So I made a huge effort to infiltrate the group 
And I have learned that that's maybe not the best way to go about things 
This week 
I decided to be myself 
And be the way I am around my family 
Natural 
Sarcastic 
Mickey taking 
Comfortable in my own skin
And not afraid to speak up
I basically just relaxed 
And stopped trying so hard 
Less is more I figure
And you know what?
That worked a lot better than being an eager little puppy begging people to like me 
We had a short week this week
Now my day is an hour shorter 
As I get a later bus in to town 
Which means I don't have to get up at the butt crack of dawn 
Yesterday and today we were in the stables 
Which I both love and hate in equal measures 
First we go in to the classroom 
And do some theory 
That lasts about 40 minutes 
Then it's down to muck out 
Today I mucked out Balou
Who was a total pet
My strength is definitely improving 
Which is great 
I can do the work a lot quicker now 
Yesterday I mucked out Blue 
My best buddy 
Then we groomed our horses 
And tacked them up 
With a lot of help from my tutor Joanna 
I am slowly but surely getting the hang of the equipment 
It takes me a while 
But I get there eventually 
Yesterday morning we had our first riding lesson 
And I was on Blue 
I love Blue 
I do 
But Jesus H Christ is he lazy 
There were four of us in the lesson 
And the others were on much bigger horses 
And Blue was just not keeping up 
I do acknowledge that that is partly down to me too 
But he cuts owners 
His walk is funereal 
And his trot can be laboured 
It just makes life more difficult for me
I am working so hard 
And getting little in return 
The lesson went ok though 
When I am riding 
I tAlk to my horse 
And I always rub them and tell them they are a good horsey 
After the lesson 
Joanna said it was lovely of me to do that 
And she said it to the others to do it too
I felt chuffed about that 
In the lesson we did a lot of trotting 
Sitting trot 
Jumping position 
Circles 
And some small jumps 
I enjoyed it 
Even if Blue made life a bit more difficult 
After the lesson 
I untacked Blue 
And brushed him down 
Before putting on his rug 
Then we all headed out to the yard 
To watch the farrier shoeing the horses 
Which was really interesting 
At 1pm
We breaked for  lunch 
I'm finding it hard to eat breakfast and lunch when I'm at school
But I ate half a sandwich yesterday 
So I guess that's better than nothing 
We kicked back for an hour 
And then it was back down to the yard 

For my second lesson
I tacked  up a beauty called Jigsaw 
Bigger and livelier than my buddy Blue 
I was excited to ride a different horse 
I mounted him from the ground 
And straight away 
I felt so comfortable 
He felt like a better fit for me
He was also quicker and more forward 
Which made life a bit easier for me
We even got a little canter in 
Which I love 
It's funny the way some horses seem to suit better 
And even Joanna commented that we were a good match 
I thoroughly enjoyed the lesson 
And all too soon it was over 
I dismounted Jigsaw 
Untacked him
And brushed him down again 
Before I knew it 
The day was over 
I'm definitely feeling a bit more confident in myself 
With the group
The riding 
The theory 
And the equipment 
It's basically learn on the go
Ask lots of questions 
Ask for things to be explained
And then it's a case of trial And error
I was chatting to one of the girls today 
And I was telling her about the horse therapy that I had been doing 
I swear to God
Those lessons were gentle compared to what I'm doing now 
With therapy 
I literally turned up 
Got on the horse 
Ride him 
Got off the horse 
And went home 
I had no clue about the equipment
Not ev n how to adjust my stirrups 
Now I am expected to tighten the buckles and the girth from the saddle 
Which let me tell you is a skill in itself 
In therapy we did a lot of walking 
A good bit of trotting 
And a couple of canters 
I didn't get out of breath at all
Now I am sweating bullets when I come out of a lesson 
And the inside of my hat is damp with sweat 
We are constantly on the go
And you need some serious stamina to keep up with that shit 
But 
It's getting easier 
I'm sure I'll get stronger and fitter in time 
 
Something that struck me today 
Is that if I were still sick 
Still underweight 
There is not a hope of a chance that I would be able to do this course 
Not a hope in hell 
If I were still unwell
I just wouldn't last 
And it feels amazing to have the strength to control a horse 
To muck out 
To do all the things I am doing 
And it's a huge incentive to stay well
Yesterday 
I had a bit of a crisis of confidence 
And I spoke to Joanna 
She told me that I am doing far better than I think I am 
I hope so 
Because a lot of the time 
I feel like the class dunce 
But look
I am doing my level best 
And that's all I can do 

This week 
I discovered a little grey pony in one of the fields near my house 
She is a small chubby little mare
But cute as a button 
So I've taken to stopping to see her once a day 
Usually 
She is way down the field 
So I whistle 
And she comes running up to the gate 
I bring her a carrot or an apple 
And she takes them from me gratefully 
I don't know who owns her 
But she doesn't seem well looked after 
So I will keep an eye on her for now
Just to make sure she is ok

Ok 
On to the photos 
I forgot to get a photo of Jigsaw 
But Blue and arrow and my new pony friend are all there 
Enjoy...














3 comments:

  1. I love reading about how well you're doing on the course. I wonder how long it'll be until you lose track of the weeks?

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x