Wednesday 18 March 2015

A weighty issue....

I just spent about 45 minutes trying to take a flattering photograph of myself
To post here on my blog
I put on make up
Tried on different clothes
Put my hair up
Took it down
Straightened it
Tried different poses
Smiling
Frowning 
Pouting
But no matter what I did
In my eyes
I looked like a beached whale
I actually hated the way I looked
And it reduced me to tears
I finally gave up
Certain that no matter what I did
I would still be a fat girl with wonky teeth and lines around her mouth and eyes

I won't lie to you
Since I stopped using
My food issues are spinning out of control
I'm binging and purging like it's going out of fashion 
And am hating every second of it
When I am binging and purging one of two things happens
I either lose a lot of weight very quickly
Or I gain a lot of weight very quickly
Unfortunately for me
The latter is happening 
And I've gained 5 pounds in the last week
5 pounds may not sound like a lot
And of course it could be a fluctuation
But to me
It might as well be 50 pounds
It is bothering me that much 

I weigh myself every morning
And that little number that shows up has the power to ruin or make my day
That number dictates my self worth
Self esteem
And confidence for that whole day
That number can send me shooting into euphoria
Or spiralling down in to depression
I hate that it has so much power over me
But it does
I might be perfectly fine 
Mood stable
Feeling good in myself
Then I step on the scale
And my whole world comes crashing down
I shit you not

Because the scales is in my bedroom
Members of my family come in to weigh themselves from time to time
My other sister was down on Sunday
And she asked me if she could weigh herself
I accompanied her down to my room
As I am always fascinated to watch others weigh in
For me weighing is an intensely personal thing
I do it alone
And the only other person who I would let see was Mary
Of course I also like to watch others weigh
As I compare my number to their number

So my sister and I went down to my room
She removed her boots
And stood on the scale
I hope she won't mind me revealing her weight 
She was 142 pounds
She stands at about 5'2
I was fascinated to watch her reaction
According to her she had gained about 10 pounds since the last time she weighed
She was a bit disappointed
But she didn't let it get to her
She said she knew she had gained
As her clothes felt tighter recently
But five minutes after she had weighed
She had forgotten all about it
And got on with her day

My other sister is the same
She weighs herself in my room from time to time 
Just to keep track of it
And again the number makes little or no difference to her
She sees the number 
She may feel a bit happier or a bit disappointed momentarily
But then she moves on
And gets on with her day
How I would love to be like that

I just ran over to my neighbour 
To tell her I would walk her dog in a while
I mentioned that I am going to have reflexology done today
She seemed interested in it
So I was explaining that my counsellor referred me to it
My neighbour asked me how I am doing
And I told her I am good for the most part
She told me that I look great
Compared to what I looked like 18months ago
I thanked her 
But it's still hard to accept compliments
I know people are kind
And want to acknowledge my getting better
Their heart is in the right place 
I understand that
But I still find comments about my weight hard to take
Maube in time that will improve
But I guess it's still early days for me

My Dad has been staying with me for that last few days
While my Mum and sister are away
He has noticed the binging and purging
And mentions it sometimes
A lot of the time 
I am not even aware of it
I'm on auto pilot 
Matching from the kitchen to the bathroom
Over and over and over again
It's constant
Non stop
And it's exhausting
Soul destroying
Relentless
I hate it so much
And yet I can't stop

Breda tell me that I have been referred back to Mary
Although I haven't heard anything yet
I don't know if I mentioned it
But Mary has been reinstated to her job of ED therapist 
Which is just awesome!
So hopefully I will hear from her soon
As I really need the extra support right now 

I turn 34 this year
That means I've clocked up 16 years in the midst of this illness
Almost half my life
And my self worth has been intrinsically linked to my appearance and weight in all that time
It's not that I want to go back to being underweight
I really don't want to go back down that road
Where I was sick and miserable and emaciated
Been there 
Done that 
Bought the extra small t-shirt
I want to be healthy
I was to be strong and fit and able
I want to look like my age
But I also want to feel good in my own skin
I want to be able to walk down the street and not burst in to tears when I catch my reflection in a window
I want to be able to look in the mirror and think
Hey, you look ok
I want to be confident when someone takes out a camera to take a photo
And I want to look at that photo and not want to die inside
I just want to be ok to be me
And to look like me
You know?

So yes
I'm about 5 pounds heavier than I would like to be
Not a huge amount
But enough to make me feel quite uncomfortable 
I'm not going on a diet 
Or anything like it
But I am going to be mindful of what I am eating
And try to make healthy choices
On the other hand
I guess I could try to accept these 5 pounds
I could try to love them the way I'm trying to love the rest of me
I am still in the lower range of healthy
So maybe I can afford to carry 5 extra pounds
And maybe I will lose them as quickly as I gained them
 
And anyway
Us ladies are under a lot of pressure to be thin
And to look perfect
Imperfection just isn't tolerated 
Ads on tv are all about trying to make us feel inadequate 
So we will buy that anti ageing cream
Or that lash volumizing mascara
The advertisers like to keep us in a state of insecurity 
So we will buy whatever it is they are selling

And the thing is
The people who love us
Will love us no matter what we look like
No matter what dress size we are 
And no matter what we weigh
I know i don't judge people by how they look 
So why do I think others judge me?

Today I will accept the extra five pounds that clings to my body
I will hold my head up high
And walk with confidence
I will do my best to love myself
And to be kind to myself
God knows I've hated myself for long enough
It's time to call a truce on my body
It's time to let bygones be bygones
To forgive and move on
To let go of all that hate that I've held on to for so long 
And to rock
And make the most of what I've got
Are you with me ladies?
For today
Just for today
Let's stop hating and bullying ourselves 
Let's be ourselves
And feel beautiful in our own skin 
I'm tired of hating on myself 
Are you?

11 comments:

  1. I'm am so glad that Mary's coming back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really feel the same,can't imagine being so free. i try to think why it bothers me.at christmas my family like to jump on the scales before and after dinner (fully clothed!)
    just for fun to see who can put the most on.i can only watch in amazement. hope you can get the purging down soon it is miserable for you.try to take care of yourself,tomorrow is a new day..so pleased about mary,love jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jo it's great about Mary
      So glad she is coming back x

      Delete
  3. Aw darling Ruby you are beautiful. And good to hear that Mary's coming back :)

    Love,
    Christie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruby don't let go now!! You were doing so wonderfully. Maybe you need to take a step back, read over your blogposts from the past year - don't forget what you're doing this all for: your family, your dogs and most of all YOURSELF. don't run away from what you deserve: a good life. Best wishes, a longtime reader xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hey there
      I love to hear from readers
      So thank you for commenting
      I'm not giving up just yet
      Just need to balance myself and get back on track x

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you are feeling a little better but please consider getting rid of your scale. If you truly want recovery you know daily weighing and living for that number is a backwards step.
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x