Saturday 13 June 2015

General Update

You might have noticed that I deleted a post called Sisters
I wrote it from place where I am still reeling from the argument
So I decided it was better to delete it
As I'm sure we'll be back to normal pretty soon
So I decided to do a general update instead

On the whole
Things are good
The best they've been in a long time
My mood is better
I've accepted that my base line mood is probably lower than the average person
It's just in me to be on the melancholic side
But that's ok
It just makes my happier moments all the sweeter
I tend to be more of a pessimist than an optimist
A kind of expect the worst, hope for the best type of person
But that's ok too
It just means I enjoy it all the more when things do go right

My weight is stable
Praise the Lord my weight is stable!
Like I would let you forget that little nugget of information
I know
I often write about my weight
But it's a big thing for me (excuse the pun)
As I'm sure it is for any one struggling with an eating disorder
And those in recovery
Those numbers become ingrained in our brains
I only have to look at a photo of myself
And I can tell you exactly what weight I was then 
My weight has yo-yo'ed for so long
I've been every weight from emaciated to healthy 
And have clothes in all those sizes too
But my weight now seems to have settled at a BMI of about 20
Even though Mary has asked me not to
I still weigh most days
I can't help myself 
Sometimes it's to reassure myself
Sometimes to torture myself
Whatever the reason 
I weigh a lot 
I guess it's all part of the disorder
It's an addiction
And a need to control
My weight fluctuates about five pounds up and down over the course of a month
When it's lower I feel better
And when it's higher I am trying to get it down again
But I'm sure it has a lot to do with periods 
And bloating before that time of the month

Looking at myself in the mirror
I think I am seeing myself as I really am
There was definitely a time when I was at my thinnest
That I couldn't see how thin I was 
But I think that distortion has gone now
When I look in the mirror
I feel just about ok with what I see
Not disgusted
Not fantastic
Just pretty much ok
And having a tan is a big part of that I think
I know it's not healthy to be tanning 
But I feel compelled to do it 
As I think it's helping me accept my body
My eyes still go to my flabby bits
My wobbly bits
The round bits 
And the bits that used to be toned
But I think that's normal for any woman
Not just someone with an ED

Of course maintaining a healthy weight 
Is not just about the aesthetics
It's essential for a healthy body 
Underweight 
Or overweight
Whatever I may be
It effects my health
My organs
The systems of the body
Hair, nails and skin
Everything
I went without a period for over ten years
And even though they are now back
The are still very irregular 
My physical health has drastically improved since regaining weight
I didn't realise how unwell I was 
Until I started to feel better

What else?
There is always the subject of my meds
I'm not managing too well in that respect
I misuse them about every second day
Which is not good
I was at a meeting during the week
And someone told me that I looked 'alert'
And that sometimes I look like I am 'nodding off'
I was mortified to hear this
I know some days I've gone to meetings feeling sleepy
But I didn't think I was actually falling asleep
My sister also challenged me about this during the week
So why am I still doing this I hear you ask
I'm deliberately not telling Mary or my doctor
I'm getting my meds dispensed weekly now
So I have the opportunity to abuse them
Again
It goes back to my inability to live in reality
That urge to get out of my own head
To escape
The thing is 
I am planning to start a course in September 
They rang this week to arrange a date for my interview 
Which is in a couple of weeks
I know if I want to do this 
And be really present 
I have to get on top of this meds situation
Or else I am going to slip further and further down the rabbit hole 

Food wise
Things could also be better 
But like the veritable ostrich
I am burying my head in the sand
And pretending that everything is ok
The last time I saw Mary
She asked me not to weigh
And to keep a food diary
Neither of which I have been doing
I still believe that if I stop purging
My weight will spin out of control
I guess I won't know this until I try
But I don't know if I want to try 
Which is a terrible thing to say
But it's the truth

So I guess
Overall
A lot of work has been done
But there is still work to do
As I always say
Baby steps all the way

5 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear you've been arguing with your sister. I know you two are close though, and I have no doubt things will be back to normal once the wounds have healed.

    It's really good to know that things are going well for you at the moment. God knows it can change at a drop of a hat, for any of us. It's great that you can even weigh yourself without it being such a trigger. I hope it's not too much longer before you get to the point where you recognize monthly fluctuations for what they are, and stop trying to change them.

    It's a real worry that you're deliberately not telling your doctor or Mary about how your meds are going. The thing is, the only way reality and living in your head will become more bearable is by telling the people who can help. I know it's a bit obvious, but it's something I've realized recently too.

    Yes, baby steps all the way! <3
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really horrible Bella
      But thankfully things are back to normal now
      I guess it's part of life
      Falling out with people we love
      And not holding grudges or resentments

      I know
      Ideally should tell my doctor and Mary about the meds situation
      I'm just reluctant to stop
      Which is a terrible thing to say
      But it's the truth
      I will think about it though
      And thanks for your concern my dear Bells x

      Delete
  2. I agree with Bella....but at least you are recognizing that it's the best thing to do for yourself and you are considering it. That's a healthy first step.

    I find keeping a food journal to be easy (I actually am a bit obsessive about it.) My problem is being honest in it. I want to keep it perfect, y'know? A bad day seems to mar it and I have a difficult time writing it all down. But there's no one to see it except for myself. Dishonesty in my journal is a bit like cheating at solitaire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just remember "OK" is fine.

    It's good to be "ok".

    Maybe you feel the need.to be.perfect. fight that need.

    I think your progress Is amazing. You're amazing. I think you should quit the scales before focusing on the meds problem.

    After all, you need to be comfortable before you can really tackle the methadone. The discomfort is really at the base of the need to zone out.

    Some people love their food diary. For me, I just eat 3 meals and one snack. I don't care what it is. I wolf it down and empty my mind of any guilt or in thoughts at all. Then i get on with life. It's working. It's taken ages though.


    I didn't see your post on your sister. But these things happen. We all argue as we are all human.

    we are not perfect.

    we are mainly "ok". And ok is fine.

    xoxo xoxo shelby

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that you've done incredibly well from reading this. I know there is always work to do, but just the fact that you have changed and overcome so many things is huge. You should be very proud of yourself. I know I am! It's just so great to see someone actually doing it.

    I feel like I haven't been putting my all in to my ED treatment. We set goals each week but I never can seem to actually go through with them all. I don't even know if I try? Which is scaring me, because if this doesn't work, I think I might consider inpatient, I feel like I might need that kick in the ass to start working on this. But it's nice to know you have made improvements, very inspiring.

    I often wonder about the numbers too. Like, will they ever not matter or control my mood? I feel doubtful. And the mirror, I've been seeing myself warped for almost ten years, so I don't know if I will ever truly see myself the way I am.

    I get why you abuse your meds. I'll be honest, sometimes I skip a dose of methadone just so I can double dose one day that week. Then I feel overwhemled with guilt because I'm supposed to be in recovery, not still trying to find some way to get high without actually going out to get high. Do you mind if I ask what meds you're on? I'm only on anti-depressants and Clonidine for sweats and the methadone, so I don't really have much to abuse. I used to get sleeping pills and Xanax, but I don't trust myself enough, so I've stopped getting them by choice. Just curious what it is you're abusing is all.

    Anyways, try not to dwell on the things you haven't done and focus on all the great you have done! It's a lot of hard, horrible things you've overcome. So you have tons to be happy about.

    Much love, xx.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x