Wednesday 1 July 2015

Days like these....

I'm not feeling great today
I have this most awful feeling of dread hanging over me 
It's hard to be positive all the time
It's hard to look on the bright side 
I just have this horrible feeling that something terrible is going to happen
Or that  maybe it already has 

As you know
My meds have been increased
And I'm still adjusting to it
The increase in my methadone has been substantial
And has been making me very drowsy
Yesterday for instance
I took my meds as prescribed
And yet by mid afternoon
I was on the nod 
Falling asleep
And generally feeling a bit out of it
I've been so sleepy 
That I felt like I have used something
And it's no different to when I was misusing my meds 

There's other things too
I've cancelled a couple of reflexology appointments recently
And today got a text from the lady  saying that there was no point in continuing 
And to contact her when I felt better
I felt really bad about this
As I feel like I've messed her around 
Even though she sent me a lovely text
And told me to take care of myself 
I still feel really guilty that I have messed that relationship up

I guess I'm feeling like I mess everything up
That I burn bridges 
Mess people around 
And generally royally f**k up everything I do

I spoke to my mother this morning
Told her how I was feeling
She reminded me about what I said in my interview the other day
That slips and relapses are part of recovery
And it doesn't mean failure 
It's just a bump in the road 
She told me to concentrate on one thing at a time
And asked me what do I want to sort out first
My meds are the first thing that come to mind
But I don't know what else I can do there
I mean
I am taking them properly 
It's just that I am on too much now
I guess I could talk to my doctor
Or maybe I just need to wait until I get used to the new dose 
I don't know 

It's days like this that I really struggle 
I haven't been to a meeting
I'm feeling sorry for myself 
And it's on days like this
That I go from zero to suicidal in a matter of minutes
My mother reminded me that I am doing ok
To think of this time last year
When I was really struggling
And that's true
There have been many struggles overcome
But on days like this
It's very hard to see past the negative

The thing is 
That I want to be a good person
I want to do the right thing
My fear is that I  am not ill 
And am in fact a bad person
A selfish person
And I don't want to be

So what to do on a day like this?
I guess recognise that this is a bump
A slip 
It's just how I am feeling today
And feeling fantastic every moment of every day is allowed
Even the most grounded and well adjusted person has a bad day
Everyone has bad days 
And that's ok
It's all part of life

So yes
Acknowledging I'm not ok
Giving myself space and time to feel like this
Without trying to cheer myself up
Or force myself to be happy
Talk to someone 
Talking really does help
Providing your speaking to someone who has your best interests at heart 
Blogging helps me massively 
I know that when I am finished writing this post
I will feel heaps better
And later on when I get get some comments
And I don't feel so alone
That will make my heart swell
And remind me that I have so many people cheering for me
And willing me to do well

I guess on days like this
We take extra care
We are kind to ourselves 
We are gentle with ourselves 
We remind ourselves that it's baby steps we need to take
And that we are in fact, exactly where we should be
So today I will take care
I will walk my dogs 
Write my blog 
Sit in the sun and read my book
Eat properly 
And generally take it easy on myself
Try to at least

With all that said
I was wondering about you
How do you get through days like these?
What helps you?


23 comments:

  1. My dear! We all have days like that. don't for one moment think it makes you any less inspiring to me.
    When I'm down I drink extra tea, make my spaces extra cuddly and only focus on things that relax me, like drawing, writing, crochetting etc. Life and it's responsibilities can be put on hold for a while.
    Keep busy, talk to people (I'm an email away and you can add me and chat to me on Facebook if you wish ) watch your favorite boxset and drink warm drinks eat your favourite foods. Have a pampering day.
    You deserve a Ruby day. You have done so much and come so far in such a short space of time it's no wonder your spirits crash a little now and then.
    Progress is exhausting.
    Don't worry it's all part of what you are accomplishing here.
    Take care my lovely Ruby. Feel better ♥
    Lots of love and hugs.
    Mandy xx

    P.s this is posted from my other gmail account cos my phone is acting up (I need a new one XD)
    Love you♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey hun,

      Aw thanks sweetheart
      That means a lot
      I am feeling a lot better thank God
      And just taking it easy today

      Hope you are doing ok
      Love you too x

      Delete
  2. I know that feeling well. At this point in my life, I feel like every decision I have ever made was wrong. It's tough not to dwell on it, but the only way to get past those feelings is to remember that we have a lifetime of possibly good decisions ahead of us.

    Maybe the increase in methadone was not the best decision on your doc's part; it might be something to discuss with him. Opioids are essentially depressants, so the increase could be the cause for your drop in mood.

    Distractions are important on these types of days. An activity that will take up all of your available brain-space so there's no room for the bad thoughts to fester and spread.

    Take care of yourself today. And remember, if we only ever had good days, we wouldn't have good days at all because we'd have nothing bad with which to compare it. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like that as well
      I'm second guessing all my previous choices and they are all bad bad bad. Also thrown heaps of opportunity away. At first i felt ok with my life choices but just lately...not so good. trying not to dwell as well.

      Hugs,

      Shelby

      Delete
  3. Exactly Mich
    Sometimes I feel like everything I touch turns to shit
    Like the opposite of King Midas

    You are right though
    I have the rest of my life to do the right thing
    And yes
    I guess if every day was fantastic
    Then they wouldn't count
    I'm feeling better today though
    And the day is nearly over
    So u can start afresh tomorrow x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ruby,

    I have literally had the exact same today - feeling like I am not ill but that I just people people away, that I am a selfish horrible friend (one 'friend' told me so on Monday and now another friend has left me out of plans that we had for this weekend) and that my job is all I'm good for on this planet. I know that I have dealt with worse crap than this in life before, as have you, but I think it's just a culmination of a lot of things and now something so small has been the straw that's broken the camel's back. Now my phone is doing an update so I can't talk to the friend who let me down so she'll think I'm ignoring her. I really cannot wait for today to be over.

    Just letting you know that you're not alone today

    L xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi L,

      Yes it's exactly that
      A cumulative of feeling and emotions
      All coming together to overwhelm us
      I'm sorry that you are having one of those days too
      I'm just waiting for tomorrow
      A fresh start
      And a clean slate
      I'll hold on if you will? X

      Delete
  5. I hate days like the one you're describing. The most difficult thing is that it feels permanent. Like you're in it, and you're going to stay in it. Just tell yourself, as many times as you need, that it is temporary. You know that intellectually, but you've got to repeat it so that the message sinks in to your heart, where you can feel it and believe it.

    Small xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Small
      I know
      Today has been endless
      But thankfully it's nearly over
      And you know what?
      We got through it
      As we always do x

      Delete
  6. Darling;
    You are STILL 'Rubly,' even on days like this--ESPECIALLY on days like this !!
    (I'm so sorry you're having to go through it, however). : (

    You MOST DEFINITELY are NOT OPPOSITE to King Midas; you actually have a golden ♥, something quite rare & precious [also, have you seen the price of the stuff in recent years-!?!] ; )
    You do so many good & right things, & so much of it for others--how could you see yourself as selfish?! Just the very fact you think you are means you're NOT--the truly selfish font waste time considering whether they are,; they're too busy thinking about THEMSELVES …-??
    Everyone has bad days, but I think also part of this is b/c you've made such ultra-strides of late that the illnesses sense their 'swan-song' & are threatened by you !! Think about it: Cowards ofttimes hide their fear & insecurity under masks of bullying & over-the-top bravado; now your tormentors are raising their voices in a last vain attempt to thwart you!! >: (

    Please don't give in to believing this utter CRAP--it's all NONSENSE & Lies!!!

    I also agree w\Mich, the depressive nature of opioid would understandably affect you. →You've had such a significant increase (& in a short time) that simply taking it according to the Script is actually over-medicating!!← I'm no dr, but your body obviously cannot handle this current amount!!
    THESE THINGS I ADVISE:
    • I'd NOT 'adjust' myself to the new dosage!!! [remember, you had EXTRA, {even AFTER your Sunday amount-!! :) YaY, you} obviously you don't even need it-!!]
    DO STUFF TO MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER, INCLUDING:
    • Go to a mtg !!!!! [not being pushy, but u said it wkd]
    • Book another reflexology appt [& GO]--you haven't 'Ruined the relationship'; you yourself said she sent a lovely text: She's NOT mad @ you !! : )
    Remember how GOOD these both made you feel.
    • if you need alone time, mebbe GO FOR A SWIM??
    [onea your favourite things-!! :D] but please not whilst you're drowsy, Love! ; )
    These things are great anxiety-busters.

    We all have rough days, I just wish You didn't have to have them !! : (
    Well done talking to Mum about it.

    I journal when I'm low, & I also Pray-- like you semi-recently suggested to 1 of our now-mutual Blogger mates…-?? Maybe give it a go yourself, as it surely cannot hurt. I'll be Praying for you from My side of the Pond-!!!! ; D

    Ay, sorry for the wall of text… : ( + : S
    (((hugs))) Jils

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thank you Jils for your wall of text
      I've read it three times now
      And you make so much sense
      As everyone here does
      This is one of the reasons I blog
      To connect with people like you
      And you are right
      Bad days come and go
      We all have them
      They are like waves
      They eventually retreat and become part of the ocean again

      Thank tou for your much appreciated common sense
      You are amazing!! X

      Delete
    2. -!! 3X…WoW : )
      *blushes* : }

      Aww, hunni,
      I'm just SO GLAD you told us lot you were having a rough go so we could love on you & offer our heartfelt support; (fully meant to say this as I gave the 'shout-out' for your talking to Mum, but I actually forgot!! >.>)

      →We do ♥ you, 'Rubly'…←

      (((hugs)))∞
      PS: Hope 2day is better 4 you.

      Delete
  7. I also have days like this. Went down a dark dark road where living felt too painful.

    I shouted at everyone yesterday as a result and I'm not proud. I'm bad a expressing sadness. I usually seem angry but I'm dying underneath.

    Sometimes a day or two of success or having visitors can spark it off....no idea why. It's like I'm over stimulated and then crash and burn.

    I've noticed it happens to a lot of people that way inclined.

    Xoxo shelby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't beat yourself up Shelby
      As you say
      We can all have a bad day
      The ones that matter will forgive us
      Don't be too hard on yourself hun x

      Delete
    2. Aye;
      The ones that matter don't mind,
      & the ones that mind don't matter-!!

      ; ) Jils

      Delete
  8. Rubs, thank you for giving us the insight into your down times, it makes me feel adequate within my journey of hills and valeys
    Sharing inside of your soul with us like this makes you a good person, a kind person and a caring one and mostly us with lots on our plate, a dish we definitely haven't ordered but might have to pay for , we need to know that it's ok to lose to momentum of progress
    The doubts are so cruel, meant to be making us stronger for following daybreak, but I just wanna scream why oh why, why me ...and then I turn a corner and think maybe some of us have to go through so much hardship so we really appreciate the bliss that's somewhere in the future, near or far
    Good on you for making a time to look after yourself, it'd be so easy to be self destructive, it is for me
    But because of you, there's a red lentil and tomato soup on the stove that I will have with my boy when he gets home from school
    Gonna do sewing and gardening now thanks so much for the push
    Bless your heart xxx k

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh K
      That makes me so happy to read that you are going to have a bowl of soup with your little boy
      That is exactly how we get better
      All the little things
      That add up to be huge strides
      It has made my day to read this
      Thank you for sharing it with me x

      Delete
  9. Rubs you're a sweetie. I know little changes are the stepping stones of any journey ahead and it feels so good to be in the moment when you know how hard it was to get there. I wish the quiet pride would carry me through for longer, instead the tension grows and ends up in a horrid binge at night. What a mess
    Thank you k xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. are you ok rubes? sorry didn't leave comment last couple days been a bit frantic. but reading and thinking of you, lots love jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey ruby me again

    What about committing to never missing an appt again. I made a commitment to being reliable and though I sometimes screw up by not being organized I have become quite reliable and dependable.

    Make the promise to yourself.

    Xoxo shelby

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shelby this is a golden plan. Whenever I happen to let people down simply through being all over the show and late, I am so embarrassed because it could have been avoided and I know that there is no excuse to make other feel like they're not important to me. The opposite is true, I need others and being accountable is one of the best ways to stay focused. Thanks Shelby for your straight up words xxx k.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x