Tuesday 4 August 2015

'Tell me why I don't like Mondays....'

I do know that it's actually Tuesday
But I'm in Monday mode
As yesterday was a bank holiday
So doctor day was today
The weekend was not great
I I over indulged in my meds during the week
So I was left with two days meds to last me four days
I guess I could have spread them out
But where's the fun in that?
This morning couldn't have come soon enough
Even though we are in August
And the height of the summer
The weather here is woeful
As if it was the middle of winter
The dogs usually wake up between 5am and 6am
So I get up and let them out
And go back to bed for an hour
Before getting up properly at about 7 30am
We headed in to the doctor for 9 10am
Me, my mum and the two dogs 
Mum usually brings the dogs for a walk while I go to the doctor
But it was so wet and wild this morning that no walk was to be had

I arrived at the doctor on time
Checked in at reception
Found a half decent magazine to read
And settled on a seat in the circular waiting 
My favourite thing to do when waiting is to play 'Guess the ailment'
I scan the room 
And try to guess what each person is there for 
There were a few oldies
It's always hard to guess what they are there for 
It could be anything really 
From a sore throat to piles to deep vein thrombosis 
I suspect a lot of them come to the doctors as a social outing

Next
A young guy came in and sat down opposite me
He was wearing a hat with a marajuana leaf on it 
Then his mother came in and sat beside him
She looked none too happy either
I suspected she might have marched him in there because he had a substance misuse problem
Obvious choice
But it was a safe bet

Various other people came in 
And I diagnosed a bad back
Flu 
And a sty in the eye
It kept me busy as I waited to be called

Twenty minutes later 
My name was called
I followed my doctor in to his room
And sat down in my usual seat
He apologised for keeping me waiting 
He explained that he is the deputy coroner
And had a pile of paper work to fill out
I don't think I've mentioned it before 
But after my doctor increased my methadone to 36mls
He promptly reduced it again
Over the period of about a month
To 32mls
I fought it all the way
He wanted to reduce it every week 
To get me back down to where I was
But I am a difficult customer to say the least

So today he asked me how last weeks reduction went
I told him it was ok
He said he wouldn't reduce it this week 
But would next week
I asked him if he would wait until I got back from Turkey 
(Did I mention I'm going to Turkey next month)
He asked me when I was going 
I told him the end of next month
He laughed
And said not a chance
So I compromised 
And suggested reducing it once a month
Which he agreed to
He filled out my script 
I thanked him
And left 

Next stop was the chemist 
It's a short walk from the doctors surgery to the chemist 
But I got thoroughly soaked in the mean time
I arrived in to the building
And my script was now a soggy piece of paper
I handed it in
And sat to wait
My usual pharmacist is on maternity leave
And there is a very nice guy in her place
I wasn't too fond of the woman pharmacist 
But she was efficient
And never made mistakes 
The last two weeks the new pharmacist hasn't given me enough tablets 
And when I was on the way home 
I realised he'd done the same thing this week
What a pain in the....

Anyway
I had one more stop before I could head home
I wanted to pick up a battery for my scale
Which I keep forgetting to do 
So I braved the rain again 
To head to the supermarket 
After wandering go around the shop for a while 
I finally found them by the check out
I chose the right ones
Paid 
And ran back to the car

I was glad to get home
I put the kettle on
Went to the privacy of my bedroom to weigh
I fitted the new battery 
Stripped
And tentatively stood on the scale 
The numbers flashed 
And settled on a number 
I've lost about 3 - 4 pounds since I last weighed 
And I have it in my head that I want to lose 5 more
I know, I know
That is dodgy territory 
And sounds absolutely daft
It's like asking an alcoholic to have one drink
I'm not naive 
I know it's dangerous to try and lose weight
I just feel I look and feel my best when I am 5 pounds lighter than I am now
I have my reasons 
I have a big family do on the 16th
And also my holiday next month
So I want to look and feel my absolute best 
I want to be confident
Wear what I want to wear 
And just feel comfortable in my skin
I mean
I don't want to be super skinny anymore 
I don't want to be sick and underweight 
I'm kind of ok with my body
I am curvy now 
And that look is growing on me
But I would still feel a lot better if I was just that few pounds lighter
I know 
It's hard to put the brakes on when losing weight 
But I feel confident that I can 
Watch this space I guess 

There are other things that I need to work on at the moment
I have not been to a meeting in two weeks
Which is not good 
I want to go back
I really do
But I feel like such a hypocrite 
Abusing my meds
And going in and pretending to be clean and sober 
I know first I need to get my meds under control
But it's just really hard 
Me and reality just do not mix well
I find day to day life boring 
Monotonous
And endlessly tedious
I mean
I get through one day
Only to start another
I get through one year
Only to find myself back at the beginning of another
And time is flying by at an alarming rate 
I really want to press pause
And stand still for a moment 
I overtake my meds 
To keep myself in a state somewhere between being awake and asleep
I love to sleep
Or at least to be sleepy
I love that feeling of being so tired that I could fall asleep at any moment
I hate being alert and wide awake
Is that my addiction speaking?
I think so

I guess the main thing is that I am ok
My health is ok
My mental health is ok
My weight is ok
My mood is ok
I am ok 




8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're okay. Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are not a hypocrite going to meetings, what would be the point if you don't need help,don't know what else to say to you as everything you say i share the struggle. think of you you give me strength xx jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ex-ACTLY !! [Spot -on, Jo];
      Meetings are there for the ill, not the 'Cured,' --what would be the point-?!?

      Hope you're doing well-!!
      <3 jils

      Delete
    2. Right--NOW it wks!!! I'm just so
      GAH!!

      Delete
  3. GRRrrr!!! >: (]
    I've erased TWO comments, I'll hfta try it again latr, Rubly!!! >: (

    I cant… GRrr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Reply' shud be HERE; sorry, Jo [& Rubly]!!
      I'm done

      Delete
  4. Have you thought about trying to give up the scale again? I'll be honest, some of this post sounds like the ED is doing a lot of your thinking. Feeling your best 5 pounds lighter is the ED thinking. Please take care of yourself, little dove. We all love you. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x