Thursday 17 July 2014

Day 1, New teeth

So today was the day
Step one of getting my new crowns for my teeth
Today I had short term temporary crowns fitted on my upper seven teeth
They will last 2-3 months
When they will be replaced by long term temporary crowns
These will last 7-8 months
After that the permanent crowns will be fitted
It's a long and expensive process
But my family and I agree that it will be worth
For my confidence and self esteem alone

My appointment was at 2pm today
I was so excited
But I completely underestimated what a long and uncomfortable process it would be
First impressions were taken of my teeth
Then my teeth had to be filed down
Until they were little more than stumps
This took almost an hour
And I got such a fright when I put my hand to my teeth
There were just shards of my teeth left
There was no going back now
Then the crowns were shaped to fit my teeth
This took another solid hour
All in all the process took two and a half hours
With only one short toilet break
I am pretty pleased with the result
I now feel that I can smile without feeling self conscious
And this is an important step in my recovery

Of course now it is my responsibility to look after them
I need to cut down my smoking
And tea drinking
And of course purging
I think having nice teeth is incentive enough

Anyway
On to the photos

Before (At home)

This is what years of bulimia does

After

Smiling confidentially for the first time in years

27 comments:

  1. so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!

    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Lilly

      Much love to you my little star x

      Delete
    2. bigest hug!!! i am so proud of you - this must have been terrifying! But look how far you have come!

      x

      Delete
    3. *biggest, so excited that i type even worse than usual!!
      xxxxx

      Delete
    4. He he, thanks Lilly
      Big hug right back atcha x

      Delete
  2. Wow, they look just like the real thing! I am so happy for you! I can't believe you could do it without being sedated; I would have fainted when they started filing :X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?
      I don't know if I would have gone through with it had I known what I was in for
      An hour of drilling and filing?
      I thought that I would never get out of there
      But the result was definitely worth it x

      Delete
  3. Congratulations. Your teeth look beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats amazing ruby! and you're very brave,love jo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking so beautiful Ruby :-) I'm so glad it makes you feel more confident - that makes it 100% worth it!!
    You've written a lot about what recovery means recently and I found this definition of it that I really liked:
    'A deeply personal, unique process of changing one’s attitudes, values, feelings, goals, skills and/or roles. It is a way of living a satisfying, hopeful, and contributing life even with limitations caused by the illness. Recovery involves the development of new meaning and purpose in one’s life as one grows beyond the catastrophic effects of mental illness'
    I liked it because it emphasises that recovery means something different for everyone, it describes recovery as a process, not an end goal, and is just wonderfully positive and hopeful. Amy xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy
      And I love that description of recovery
      It's so true
      Recovery is different to everyone
      I'm sure to some people getting there teeth done is not a big deal
      But to me it was huge

      Hope you're doing ok x

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness look at that smile! Radiant. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my god, Ruby, your teeth look amazing! I am so so happy for you. It's wonderful to see you smile.
    <3 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bella dear
      I think I will be smiling a lot more now........ x

      Delete
  8. Looks awesome. I have a friend going through the same sort of process. She's had crowns before, but now she's doing 5 front teeth at once. It's a result of her eating disorder. I don't think she fully owns that (she's the queen of denial). I am proud that you see it and that it's your responsibility to care for them.

    I'm so glad to see you smile like that. I hope you can feel more confident and keep smiling :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look fantastic! So glad to see you with a big smile on your face. It suits you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look great! I also really love how you acknowledge that you need to make some changes to really take care of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alie
      Yea I really do need to take of them now
      I really do x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving some love x