Saturday 4 April 2015

A is for anxiety

Eek I've been averaging about a meeting a day for the last two weeks 
And boy had it made a difference
To my head
My mental health
My mood 
My peace of mind 
My self esteem
All of these things have improved so so much
Now I am wondering why I didn't go back to meetings sooner!
There have been many times over the last few years
When I have slowly driven by a meeting venue
Dying to go in
Yet it seemed so impossible
I just couldn't muster the courage to step in to that room
Thinking about it used to send me in to a frenzy of panic and anxiety
I really doubted that I would ever get back to meetings 

Like a lot of things with me
It was a mental thing
Once I wrapped my head around the fact that if I wanted to get well I had to go to meetings
Then it seemed a lot more doable
It felt possible
Manageable
It was the same when I gave up smoking
Once I made the decision in my head 
And decided to give up
That was half the battle
It just goes to show the power of the mind
And how much it can help or hinder us

I went to an NA meeting last night in town
I was on my own driving in
So I was feeling a bit anxious
I'm not too confident driving in town either
I'm so used to country roads
And back roads
So motor ways and main roads scare me some
Anyway
I made it to the meeting
I was a bit late 
So slipped in to the room
And took a seat
There was about 10 at the meeting
And for some reason I felt majorly anxious
My breathing was short and shallow 
As if I couldn't get enough oxygen in to my lungs
I was dreading having to speak
And at one point didn't think I'd be able to speak at all
But towards the end of the meeting
I found myself saying

My name is a Ruby
And I am an addict

I find speaking quite hard at the best of times
So talking in front of a room full of people can be quite the scary experience
And it's speaking about done very personal stuff
So there is the fear of what people will think of you
As I spoke
I could feel the words falling out of my mouth at a terrific speed 
I could feel one of my legs shaking nervously
As I twisted my other foot around and around 
I'm not entirely sure why I felt so anxious
Sometimes I speak at meetings
And I feel totally comfortable 
With no anxiety at all
But then other times
Anxiety hits me hard
And that makes everything so much harder

Looking back on my life
I can see that I began suffering with anxiety when I was a teenager
I can remember sitting in school
And feeling this overwhelming feeling of panic and fear
I didn't call it anxiety at the time
But now I can see that is what it was

I was bullied in high school too
By girls from another school
It wasn't anything too serious 
But it knocked my confidence
And fuelled my anxiety
I began to get wary around other people
Especially meeting new people
Or people who reminded me of the bullies
That experience has effected me to this day
And how I see myself and others
Since then
I have categorised people in to different sections 
Those I feel comfortable around
Those I fear
Those I can be myself around
And those I want to like me
I can usually make up my mind very quickly who belongs where 
I know this might sound a little strange 
But this the effect that bullying had on me

I deal with anxiety every single day 
In one form or another 
More often than not 
It's the anticipation of an event
That makes me more anxious than the event itself 
It's the run up to it
The thinking about it  
Over thinking it
Analysing 
And dissecting it
The event itself is usually fine

It's such hard work and feeling anxious
I find that I change my personality to suit whoever I am with
Not too much anymore 
But I used to do it a lot  
It is aWlways so refreshing being around someone who you can totally be yourself around
My sister is a good example of this 
She is one of the few people that knows me inside and out
I can be my crazy bat shit self around
And she doesn't bat an eyelid
But when I am out and about 
Anxiety can cripple me 
Not can stop me living my life to its full potential
I am on medication for anxiety 
But I do wonder how much it really helps

I was wondering about you 
Do you suffer from anxiety?
If yes
How do deal with it?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ruby dear ^-^
    It's strange how one can be really anxious in the same situation they were so comfortable in before and vice-versa.
    I think it has a lot to do with where you are mentally at that point in time; how your day has been, the people you are with, the little things that happen to you set your mental tone, especially when it's so hard to balance like with people with anxiety. Little things set the tone.

    I myself suffer from terrible anxiety and I deal with it with breathing exercises at the time and positivity enhancing activities the rest of the time because, according to my therapist, the neural pathways that we use more (the negativity ones in my case) get deeper and deeper, causing all sorts of insecurities and anxieties, so I have to force myself to use the positive "pathways" and after a while it becomes habit, because you use them more often than the negativity ones and so *they* get deeper. If that makes sense. I made a blog post about it today actually.
    Yoga and Mindfulness exercises have been quite helpful for me

    It doesn't cure anxiety of course, but it makes it so that it's not as crippling when it hits me, it doesn't hit me as often and it's more manageable.

    Take care sweetheart, I hope you have had a great easter ^^

    Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi ruby ,yes anxiety is my main prob along with anorexia,i tend to over analyse after the event though but rarely go out now unless work or school.it is such a physical thing isn't it if not i would try to ignore it.but if you can't hide it,what do you do? jo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The eating disorder and substance abuse I have suffered, I believe, stemmed from anxiety and cause greater anxiety. When I am healthier and stronger, managing the anxiety is easier, of course, but I hate that the anxiety issue is still with me after years of trying to manage it/defuse it. Medications have only led to different problems for me. Exercise has been medicinal in a positive sense until recently when I was under-eating and overdoing it--more anxiety. I can look at my face in the mirror and see the anxiety expressed, and I crave for a relaxed softness sometimes....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x