Tuesday 11 August 2015

1 Year

Today is the 11th of August
Which means at 10 30am
This time 
Exactly one year ago
I smoked my last cigarette
So today is my one year anniversary!

I'm very excited to have reached this milestone 
I was a dedicated smoker for 20 years
I started smoking when I was 13 years old
I was a 30 a day girl
And was spending €100 a week on my precious cigarettes 
Which was more than half of my weekly income 
I was constantly broke when I smoked 
So it's nice now to have a little bit extra money

I know I've written it before 
But let me tell you the story of how I gave up
It was last July
My uncle had brought me home two cartons of cigarettes from Turkey 
I had been thinking about giving up
So I decided I would smoke what I had
And then give up
I timed it so that I would be away in London when I gave up
As I thought it might be a bit easier away from home
So I smoked my way through the two cartons 
I smoked my head off
And enjoyed every one 
All too soon 
I found myself with one cigarette
I saved it until I really really craved it
It was 11 August 
At 10 30am
I went out to the garden with my cigarette and my book
Made a cup of tea
Settled on the bench 
And smoked my last cigarette
I relished it 
Thoroughly enjoyed it
I knew it was my last one
So I took a last drag
Extinguished it
And said my goodbyes 

I had no expectations on how long I would stay off them 
I just took it day by day 
But now 
Here I am a whole year later
And it feels great!
To celebrate
My sister is cooking my favourite dinner 
Which is boeuf bourguignon
So I'm really looking forward to that

My mum and sister left a card and a coaster for me by the kettle this morning
How thoughtful of them
You can see the photos below

Today is a good day 
A day to mark achievements 
I never thought I would be able to give up smoking
But it just goes to show 
That of you put your mind to something 
It can happen 
It really can




25 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the one year mark. I'm so happy for you. Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done ruby! thats fantastic,everyone must be so proud of you, hasn't this year gone by quickly?,enjoy the day,love jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo
      I know
      This year just flew by
      It's scary how fast time goes by

      Hope you are well x

      Delete
  3. Rubyyyyyyy *-*
    Well done my dear!!! Words can not express how proud of you I am ^-^
    What a lovely card and coaster haha your family is so sweet.
    Take care my dear, have a cuppa on me ^^
    Love you *hugs*
    Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Mandy
      You are sweet
      Shame we can't celebrate together
      With cups of tea in our hands
      And dogs at our feet

      Love you too x

      Delete
    2. There is nothing I would enjoy more right now to be honest ♥

      Delete
    3. There is nothing I would enjoy more right now to be honest ♥

      Delete
    4. There is nothing I would enjoy more right now to be honest ♥

      Delete
    5. Me too hun

      He he, I think blogger posted your comment three times x

      Delete
    6. Right; so it's Twice erased Mine, but TREBLED Hers…-!?
      Good knoing there's balance in the Blogiverse…

      ; ) Jils

      Delete
  4. Awwww your family is the best. <3
    Happy anniversary!
    X Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww massive congratulations to you Ruby on this whopping achievement! I am so proud of you and you should be so proud of yourself! It seems your family is super proud of you too, what with giving you a card on this momentous day! Hopefully it gives you the motivation you need to keep it up! I know you can do it! Lots of love xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie
      Today was such a lovely day
      So nice to have something to celebrate
      The card and coaster were so unexpected
      But so delighted to get them
      My Mum and sister are the best ever! X

      Delete
  6. if i could give something up for 1 day i might make it. i think you are great

    ReplyDelete
  7. Late to the party, but sent you maile a few hres ago…

    Happy HAPPY 1er, Anniversary-mate !!!!!!

    All my <3, Jils
    PS: How was your tea-??…… ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my lovely
      I enjoyed my tea and thought of you x

      Delete
    2. * : } *
      likewise, Amiga-FIERS !!

      Delete
  8. Yay! Congrats Ruby!! I was thinking just the other day that you're one-year mark must've been coming up soon.

    I can only imagine how much money you've saved (read: spent on clothes ;)). I recently added up how much money I've spent on smokes so far this year (one of the many things I track in my smoking book). Let's just say it's definitely a kick up the butt!

    Three cheers for Ruby! Hip hip...... :)

    <3
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Hun
      You know me so well
      He he, any spare money has gone on clothes
      If I can do it
      Any one can x

      Delete
    2. he he, très CLEAVER, Bells:
      ' kick up the "butt" ' indeed-!! :D :D

      Ahahahaha…

      Jils, GFAL
      [gasping 4 air, laughing] ;)

      Delete
  9. congrats on hitting the 1 year mark! it's insane, isn't it?

    reading the comment above made me smile. honestly, i'm glad it went to clothing instead of smokes. i think a bit of retail therapy beats slowly destroying your lung tissue any day. besides, your body deserves so much and by gosh, you deserve to get new clothes. <3 you deserve to give your body gifts. you've destroyed it for so long that it is your body's RIGHT to be given gifts.


    -Sam Lupin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Better late than never, right?... CONGRATULATIONS!

    Quitting smoking is SUCH a huge step toward health and restoration, Ruby. I'm very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x