Monday 10 August 2015

32

As usual 
Monday is doctor day
Every Monday 
For the last ten years
I've made my way to my doctors 
To collect my script
Being on methadone
It's mandatory to see your doctor every week
As no more than one week can be dispensed at a time
Methadone is a controlled drug
In that there are strict guidelines around dispensing it
It even has its own special script
Which is more like a form
Also a doctor who wants to dispense methadone has to do a course in order to be licensed to dispense it
I used to have to go to Dublin once a month to see the head doctor of methadone 
But I haven't seen her in years 
Going to Dublin was dodgy for me
As often I would end up using while there

Ten years ago
I started on a dose of 70 mls
Over the years 
I worked my way down to 18mls
It's a slow process 
But I was on my way to coming off it completely 
Then when I was misusing my meds
My doctor increased my dose to 36 mls
Which is double the dose I was on
Over them last couple of months
He has decreased it again
And I am now on 32 mls
I am so bold though
I always put up such a resistance to a reduction
And I know I can be manipulative in doing so
I'm just so afraid to come off it
And I round be happy if I was left on it forever
But
That's not really an option
I'm hoping that I will come to a place where I feel able and strong enough to be methadone free

After I saw my doctor
I saw Breda
Who is my addiction counsellor
I settled in her room
And she comment that she hadn't seen me in a while
Which is true 
I haven't seen her in about six weeks
She said that was far to long to leave it in between appointments 
I filled her in on what has been happening
About my course 
And generally how things are going
I mentioned that I haven't been to a meeting in a couple of weeks 
She said that wasn't like me
And it's not 
But I have noticed over the last couple of months 
That I've pulled back from my supports 
Including my meetings
She said that its really important that I am consistent with my supports
She is right 
I really need to get back on track
Link in with my recovery friends 
Sometimes
When things are going well
I start thinking that I don't need to go to meetings 
Or see my therapist
But the thing I have to remember 
Is that they are the reason that I am doing well
And I need to do the right thing and keep my supports in place
So that's my goal this week
To keep my appointments 
And to get to at least two meetings

I read somewhere that over thinking is the art of creating problems where there are none
I definitely do this a lot
Things are going well for me at the moment 
My mood is stable 
My anxiety is manageable  
My physical and mental health are the best they've been in a long time  
I'm clean and sober 
My ED is somewhat under control 
All in all 
Life is good 
I do my best every day 
Not to hurt myself or anyone else 
I try to be the best person I can be
I am ok 
I. Am. Ok
I just need to remember that 

I made the mistake of weighing myself yesterday 
And almost had a mini meltdown 
It's funny
That little number doesn't have as much power over me as it once had 
18 months if I had seen the number that I did yesterday 
I would have gone from zero to suicidal in seconds 
I would started either binging and purging
Or starving 
And crash dieting 
Disgusted with myself I would say the most horrible things to myself 
Bully myself 
But at the moment
I feel ok
Not amazing 
But not terrible either
I can look in the mirror
Without wanting to smash it
I can wear a bigger size item of clothing 
And accept that I am the way I am 
And that is ok
I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be 

Breda commented that my confidence seems to be improving 
I hadn't noticed until she said it
But I think she's right 
My confidence in myself is growing all the time
I'm not so timid  and agreeable 
I'm more sure of myself 
And not apologising for my very existence 
I've always struggled with confidence and self esteem 
So to finally feel good about myself is nothing short of a miracle 
Breda made the comment that I look really well
It's still very hard to accept compliments 
My ED brain still misconstrues it as a negative scenario
I get that people think they are giving a compliment 
They can see that I've improved 
And want to acknowledge it
However
In my mind
When someone tells me that I look well
My thought process goes something like this 

Person: You lookl well Ruby

Public Ruby: Oh thank you!

Private Ruby: Well? Well?
Well equals I've put on weight 
Well means I'm over weight 
Well means I'm fat 

I've chosen my outfit for Saturday
So I will show you during the week
I'm also getting my hair done on Friday
I have a style in mind
And I'm really excited to get it done
It's a busy week
The first of the visitors arrive on Wednesday
I am going to try my best to enjoy it
To participate 
And give my mum a lovely time
After all
She deserves it

So that's it for today folks
Take care
And have a good day
See you on the next post....


11 comments:

  1. It’s so strange, I’ve been off methadone for 8 years, and it still feels like I was going through the rigmarole yesterday. Prescriber appointments (every 1-3 months) pharmacists, TAs (I never got more than 3 though, and one bottle per dose).
    For me, contemplating getting off it was worse than the actual experience, which was scary, but at least interesting. I also found it easier to envision not having it after I had been on 15 ml for a month or so. I was a bit clearer mentally, and remaining dependent on such a small amount seemed kind of pointless. But it’s definitely a big life change.
    Good luck with your mum’s do BTW..sounds like it will be fun xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there,

      Thank you for this
      It's always good to hear from people who have been in the same situation as me
      Breda was saying today that it should never have been increased the last time
      And she is right
      I manipulated that situation to suit myself
      But I just needed a bit of slack
      As I was really struggling

      How did you find the detox?
      Was it hard when you got down to the low numbers?
      Do you miss it at all?

      The thing I fear most is relapse
      I dread it so much
      Glad to hear that you are off it though
      You are doing amazingly well x

      Delete
  2. Thanks. I don’t often talk about all this, even though it’s never far from my mind.I started using at 16, and am about the same age as you now, so it’s a big chunk of my life. I do miss methadone, but I don’t miss the malaise/ennui/ etc etc that came along with it .
    The detox wasn’t too bad. I was coming off a low dose of benzos at the time too so it was a bit surreal, which made it more tolerable, somehow. 15mg didn’t really do very much, anyway. I did use a few times just after ‘jumping’ and realised that I did not want to go to that place again. It didn’t seem worth it.
    Since then, I’ve had periods of complete abstinence, but in the past few years, have used mild opioids (codeine tramadol) to excess. Overall though, I feel more ..functional?? I guess, than I did before.
    RecoverING, rather than recovered.

    You are doing amazingly well too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same
      I get short periods of clean time
      But always seem to go back to some form of the drug
      My latest being the poppy tea that The Boy was growing
      But like you too
      I am functioning and pretty stable most of the time
      My only thing now is my meds
      And misusing them
      Really need to get that in check
      So I can really put drugs behind me once and for all
      I just can't stand the banality of reality
      I'm always looking for ways to escape it
      I guess I should be looking for healthy ways to cope with it

      Anyway
      Thanks for your help today
      And for reaching out to comment
      I really appreciate it

      I wish you all the best for the future
      And hope all your dreams come true x

      Delete
  3. getting QUITE the late start this "morning" & need to get this to you straightaway!! (haven't read the post yet, but will do right following!)

    →Wanted to coordinate w\@ least 1 of your many cuppas 2morro so we could toast our Smoke-Quit anniv togeva-??!←
    [A small thg in the grand scheme, but it'd be evr so meaningful My end-!!] :D
    We are 8 hres apart, (I BELIEVE England & Eire are same time-zone…-??)

    AW, if you could Please let me kno, I'll 'synchronise' mi watch-!
    <3 jils

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!
      Absolutely yes!
      Let me know what time suits you
      Are you behind 8 hours or forward?

      Just sent you a little email x

      Delete
    2. Waah, just lost my comment!!! :'(

      YaY, MAILE-! :D

      Delete
    3. Just emailed you hun
      Tea tomorrow for sure!! X

      Delete
  4. You'll get there eventually. I know you're not sure if you even want to come off it completely, but I have faith you'll be able to one day. You've already overcome so much and achieved a lot of things I'm sure you once thought impossible. And until then, you still deserve kudos for staying clean and sober.

    Good luck with your goals. I think going back to meetings is a very wise decision.

    <3
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the methadone is distressing to you.
    I can see it makes you feel like you are 'cheating'


    However I will reiterate what I have said before.
    If your weight causes you stress and small things set you off kilter and your purging is still an issue I'm worried that you will have a relapse of both issues. I'd really try to stop purge cycle and get to the heart of that first. Otherwise reality might be too much to handle for a while.

    X shelby

    ReplyDelete
  6. My love! Just catching up with what I've missed!
    I love you to bits and I've missed you ♥♥♥♥
    Take care my dear, you are strong and you are doing so well ^-^
    Love,
    Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x