Thursday 3 September 2015

Dog Shelter

I'm just back from my appointment at the dog shelter 
When I spoke to them on the phone the other day
They asked me to call in today 
To meet me
And to fill in some paperwork 
My Mum offered to drive
So I took her up on the offer
And we set off at about 10am
The shelter is about half an hour away
I haven't been there in ten years
When I picked up Honey
And brought her home
So I was really excited to go back

We arrived at the shelter just after 10 30am
Mum parked 
And I made my way to the office
The whole way down in the car I was thinking how I should take photos to show you all
But of course 
Once I was there 
I forgot to take any at all

I went through the gate marked 'Office'
And found myself face to face with a rather large Alsation
Beyond him I saw two little dogs
And beyond that two people
One of whom beckoned me in
The dogs gave me a great welcome
And as I sat down
The Alsation kept bringing me over a stick
Which I tried to throw for him
But was a bit difficult as we were in quite a small room

One of the ladies introduced herself as the owner of the shelter
And asked me how they could help me
I said I had been speaking to someone about volunteering 
At that point 
She produced an application form 
And asked me to fill it in
The form was the usual
Name 
Address
Etc 
At the end there was a question asking what type of work I wanted
It named things like dog walking
Cleaning
Laundry
I ticked them all
Except for garden maintenance
As I am no gardener 
I handed the form back
And the lady looked over it
All seemed fine 
The owner then asked one of the ladies working there to show me around

This was the fun part
Getting to meet all the dogs
The first dog I was shown was nothing short of freakin' adorable
The lady told me that he had been found abandoned in a shed
My mind boggles
As I don't know how anyone could do that to a living dog/cat/anything
I swear I wanted to bring that dog straight home with me
But I knew this would happen
I knew I would want to save them all
But I also know that my Mum would have a fit if I started bringing dogs home
So I will resist 
For now

The lady brought me around all the kennels
Introduced all the dogs to me
Some were giddy
Some were shaking with fear
Which broke my heart
Some had tried to climb out 
Some tried to eat me
But that's ok
I understand that some of them are not happy well adjusted dogs
But most of them just wanted attention
And I hope that I can do that

After the tour 
I went back to the office to thank them
The owner told me that I can ring them the day before I want to go down
Which is great 
As then it can be a different day each week if need be
All in all I am so looking forward to starting 
And all being well
I will start next week

Right
Must dash 
As have an appointment with Mary 
See you on the next post ...

15 comments:

  1. Oh Ruby, I love this post! Thank you so much. I laughed out loud at the bit about going through a gate marked "Office" and finding yourself face to face with an Alsation! I wish that happened to me when I go into "offices"! I am so, so glad you are getting involved in this place. Your love for the dogs shines through, and I am so pleased and happy for you -- and for them too. Enjoy, and have fun. Have a good meeting with Mary too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm glad it gave you a laugh
      It was funny!!

      I'm so looking forward to being part of these dogs lives
      And hopefully helping them in some way x

      Delete
  2. I suppose it's a good thing you've got someone at home to stop you bringing more dogs home. That's how my cousin ended up at one point with 12 cats, 3 pitbulls, and an Alsatian. I'd probably be the same!

    Boggles my mind as well, I don't understand how anyone could be so cruel. A friend volunteers at a shelter and I see so many posts on facebook about pets that people just left there because they up and decided they didn't want them anymore. It's a really good thing you're doing, volunteering there. Not many people are strong enough and selfless enough to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!
      I know
      I know a girl who at one point had 17 dogs in her care
      That would so be me if I had my own place

      That's the one part I'm not looking forward to
      Seeing the abuse and neglect of those animals
      But hopefully I will learn to cope x

      Delete
  3. I know that feeling all too well. The feeling of wanting to save them all, to keep them all and wrap them in bubble wrap so they're safe from horribly cruel people.
    I foster kittens with my mum - or at least I did before I moved out - and I can't tell you how many kittens I wanted to keep. It's hard to resist. But you will enjoy working at the shelter and I think it's the right fit for you.
    Maybe get some pictures next time?
    Looking forward to reading the updates.
    Anne Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Anne
      I just wanted to put them all in my car and drive home
      And give them all a little corner of my house to call home
      But
      I know it's not possible
      So I will do what I can to help them from a voluntary capacity

      I will for sure get pics next time! X

      Delete
  4. Although I could never work in a shelter (I'd bring them all home with me) I think it's a good place for interaction, both with humans and with animals. You'll do great :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting! This is actually happening for you! I'm so happy for you!! I can't wait to hear all about how you get on when you start to work there! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool, so happy for you !!! ^_^

    [he he, just a random thought, (& possibly way off/ non-applicable), but do you thk that's perhaps why dear Mum volunteered to drive you in, (thus ensuring against your arrival bk home w\8-20 new brothers & sisters for Hons & Li-??) Not saying that Mum isn't v altruistic, but yet-&-still she DOES kno her daughter…] ; )

    <3 Jils
    PS: Dreamt of you last nite !! [-?!]

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so good congratulations on the position, I am sure you'll do great, I absolutely love dogs, would love to do something like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done!

    xoxo.
    shelby

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome to read Ruby! It sounds like a good environment, and definitely a positive one. I know you've been feeling a bit lost lately, but I think you'll be better off volunteering in something you're truly passionate about rather than studying a course that doesn't interest you.

    Good luck next week <3
    xx

    P.S, Jils - it must be going around. I've been having bloggers pop up in my dreams a lot lately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. -!
      it's strange: I knu it wasn't u nor Ang tho I don't recall what she lkd like, (& she didn't hv her accent!) but I SENSED it was Ruby… [if that mks any sense…-?!?]
      Hey, Sweetie, glad u're still spkg 2 me-!!! : o I've been horrendous & hvnt mailed; I'm well behind, but u & AnisA are my priorities 2day-!! Hope you're feeling better <3 Jils

      Delete
  10. Ugh I love dogs. School doesn't give me much free time to volunteer but I'm not sure I could at a shelter as it was because I would want to take them all home! I'm like a crazy dog lady! I found mine on Craigslist and only had to pay $25 for him. :D His owner went to prison and the family had five little dogs so a big old 75 pound rottweiler blue tick hound mix was a little much as an extra dog. Couldn't imagine life without him now of course. I hope you have a ton of fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x