Tuesday 6 October 2015

Driving Test

I My preparation for my test has been extremely rushed
Even though I've been driving for quite a while
There are still things I need to brush up on
At the moment I have a learners permit
And have managed to dodge my test thus far 
But 
I've procrastinated for too long now
It was time to do it

Yesterday 
I had a two hour lesson
Which went well
But man, there were many things that I did not know
Like this constant mirror, signal, mirror checking 
I mean
Of course I check my mirrors
But not as obsessive as I was being told to
We also practised the manoeuvres 
The three point turn
Which I was ok at 
And the reversing around a corner
Which I struggled with 
My teacher said that was my weak point
Another thing I was really worried about
Was the fact that I had to drive in to the car park for the test
And reverse in to the car parking space 
I practised it a bit this morning 
And it was pretty hit and miss
Ay ay ay
I just couldn't wait until it was all over
I can't tell you how nervous about I was this morning
And I was afraid to take any of my meds 
In case they made me drowsy
So driving down to the test centre
I could almost feel myself going in to withdrawal
But that might have been in my imagination

The test centre is about an hour from my house
In a town that I don't know very well
And only really drove around for the first time yesterday
I picked this town as it's the quietest town near to me
The lesson yesterday was really cutting it fine
The instructor tried to squash everything in tithe two hours
But it was nigh on impossible
Too much information
Too much to remember in such a short space of time
I got back from my lesson yesterday
Got straight in to my pyjamas
And rested for the evening
Then this morning
I got up early 
And my sister came out with me to practise
I practised reversing in to a space
It was hit and miss at best 
The other manoeuvre I would be asked to do was reversing around a corner
I do that every day to leave my house 
But this was on the other side
And it just confused me

I was beyond nervous and anxious this morning 
I just could not wait for it to be over 
The test was at 12 45pm
So my mother and I set off at about 11 30am
We were driving through one of the villages
I had just rounded a corner
When a woman in a brand new big f**k off car
Pulled out in front me
Without indicating 
And without looking
I had to swerve across the road
And thank God there was nothing coming on the other side
I was so shocked I had to pull in for a second
The woman drove by me
And I gave her a filthy look
But she seemed oblivious to what she had just done 

An hour later 
And we arrived at the test centre
Now I had to reverse in to a space
The car park was tiny 
And there really was only one space I could go for 
It took me three attempts 
And it on my second attempt
Someone walked in to the car park that o recognised
I knew the face 
But I couldn't place them
Then it came to me
It was my sisters ex-fiancé 
The one who messed her around 
And who my entire family hate
I hadn't seen this guy in years 
Typical that I would run in to him on the day of my driving test
He saw us 
And quickly looked away
Another filthy look was in order
Then I promptly reversed in to a sign 

Eventually
I managed to get the car between the lines
In a somewhat straight position
I felt shook after my two incidences
But I persevered
My mum went for a cup of coffee after wishing me luck
And I headed in to the test centre
I sat waiting for about five minutes
Hoping that I wouldn't run in to ex-fiancé again
I didn't
And soon I heard my name called
A short stout mam in his fifties ushered me in to a room
He introduced himself 
Explained what was going to happen
He asked for my permit
Which I had stupidly left in my car
So I had to run out to get it
Bad start right there
And the test began

First 
He asked me some rules of the road 
Some I knew
Some I didn't 
Some I blatantly guessed
Then it was out to my car
He checked all my paperwork was in order
Checked my lights 
Asked me to pop the hood
Which I only learned how to do yesterday 
He asked me various questions about where the oil goes etc
I managed that part ok
Then it was time to drive
I started the car
But my nerves were getting the better of me
And I hit the curb on the way out 
You guys 
I failed before I even got out of the car park! 
I could help but curse
'Shite' I said
'Is that it?' I asked  him
'The test isn't over yet' he replied 
So I kept going
And tried to be positive
As I said 
I don't know this town at all
There were many roundabouts 
A one way system
And I was generally very confused a lot of the time 
I remembered to use my mirrors
And check my blind spots 
But there were so many things I neglected to do 
Or didn't know how to do
I just wasn't sure of myself 
Or what I was doing 
I need a lot more practise

My car is an automatic
So there are only two pedals
Brake and accelelorator
No clutch
Usually I use both feet to use the pedals 
But the tester told me that I was doing it wrong 
And only to use my right foot
This completely threw me
As I tried to remember the correct way to do it
I tried my best

Then it was time to do the reverse around the corner
That went shockingly bad
And I hit the curb again
I just wanted to cry at that point
I felt like such a loser 
Next was the three point turn
Now this something that I can actually do
And it went pretty smoothly 

After about 40 minutes
The tester directed me back to the t St centre
I turned off my car 
And he invited me inside
I sat on the blue chair and sighed
'I don't have good news for you' he said
'I know' I replied 
So that was it 
I failed 
But then 
I already knew that 
He mentioned the pedals again
He said strictly he should have cancelled the test because I was using both feet
But he saw I was making an effort 
So he gave me a chance
He told me what else I need to brush up on
And there is a lot
He also said to get a few lessons 
And get to know the test town
Both of which I will do

So thats it guys 
I didn't pass
But I'm not too upset
I knew I hadn't had enough practise and preparation
I will apply for it again soon
And get back behind the steering wheel
I did my best
And it was good experience 
Hopefully next time will go better 

I am so tired now
It's only 3pm
But when I get home
I am getting straight in to my pyjamas 
Taking my meds
And relaxing for the evening 
I mean
I know I'm not a horrible driver
There are just at things I need to brush up on 
And I will 
Just not today 







19 comments:

  1. Don't feel too bad about the test. You did your best and you can try again. It took me four tries to get my licence that I don't use nowadays.
    The first time the hazard lights in my car didn't work so u couldn't even do my test. The second time I failed because I went a little ways down the wrong side of the road (oops). After I failed my mum bought me a 1.3kg bag of red frog lollies to cheer me up. I can't remember why I failed my third test and I barely got it on my final attempt. I also suck at parking. I'm Terrible at driving and need to relearn everything because I need a car in my new town.
    I hope you get it on your next attempt.
    Take care dear and I hope you don't run into any more assholes.
    Anne Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne
      For making me feel a little better x

      Delete
  2. I failed five times, and then I gave up :D

    Now you know what happens, so you'll be better prepared next time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes CP
      At least I can chalk this one up to experience x

      Delete
  3. Sorry you failed. But please don't drive without someone in the car with you. It's really dangerous and also illegal. And not worth the potential guilt and trauma that would follow if you had an accident. I hope this doesn't come across as overly harsh but it's really not ok to drive without a license.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seems to be some confusion around this
      But I do have a license
      A learner permit
      And I do have to have someone in the car with me when I drive
      Which I always do
      I am breaking no law
      It doing anything wrong x

      Delete
    2. I do admit that there have been times when I've driven alone
      But most of the time I do have someone with me

      Delete
  4. Wait, so you badly failed and you drive anyway? That's illegal! And also incredibly selfish. If you hit and hurt somebody because you can't drive safely how would you feel? Plus you aren't insured to drive alone so if you damage anyone else (car or person!) they will be fucked as well. Just don't do it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am insured
      I do have a license
      Go troll someone else....

      Delete
    2. I think the Yanks assume everyone else's driving laws are exactly like America's.....

      Delete
  5. I failed the written test three times before I passed it. You can't get your permit here without passing the written test, so I was the only person in my year starting senior year without a license. Got it eventually though, and only because the actual driving test here is a joke--whole thing in a car park, and you're not allowed go over 15 MPH. If they'd seen me in my natural habitat, I never would have passed.

    Half my cousins still have their learners and never got a license, but they're all driving. You're not allowed to drive alone on a permit here. If you get caught, you get some kind of suspended license charge that prevents you from getting your license for up to a year. I think that's what happened to the girl who flew out in front of me and totaled my car. :/

    keep practicing, and good luck on the next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mich
      I don't have a lot of words today
      But thank you
      You are amazing x

      Delete
  6. I haven't commented in a while and I am catching up with your posts. You have done so well during your holiday, you still had methadone on your way back, you did not freak out because of scales, so good! you are such a role model to me. Purging 5 times a week is NOTHING. I am happy if i can stick to once a day at the moment! well done! you kept me motivated with your post so many times. thank you!

    But - are you allowed to drive without a license in Ireland? Because weren’t you driving all the time? If what the above anon said is true and it is illegal and you have an accident and are not insured...Ruby, Ruby, that could potentially financially ruin your whole family for good. Please so not do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope this clears things up
      But I do have a license
      I am insured
      I am not doing anything wrong
      If I have an accident
      I am covered
      I just need to have someone on the car with me
      Which I always do
      There seems to be a lot of confusion around this
      I hope I am explaining myself correctly x

      Delete
  7. Sorry u didn't pass- at least you know what u have to work on now- just don't give up. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true
      At least it was good experience
      I won't give up
      I promise x

      Delete
  8. You did your best! Please don't be too hard on yourself for not passing the first time. Over here it generally takes people a few tries too. You'll get there soon enough.

    <3
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You drove to that guy's house on your own? You drive to the beach with your dogs? If you drive alone you ARE breaking the law and your are NOT insured. That's facts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry you didn't pass lovely. It could happen t anyone so don't feel too downhearted about it. Brush yourself off and go for it again. You know what to expect now. Take care hun xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x