Thursday 5 May 2016

Home

I was really hoping to get home yesterday
The boredom and routine of the hospital was sapping the life out of me
And I was losing the will to live
They took blood yesterday morning 
And it took a couple of hours for the results to come back 
I paced the corridor as I was off my drip
Asking the nurses every half hour if they were back 
I have to say though 
The nurses are nothing short of fantastic 
A few of them remembered me from my last admission
And they just couldn't do enough for me
I had cups of tea coming out my ears!
And if I never see toast again it will be too soon
My Dad came in to collect me
So he also had to wait 
At about 4 30pm
The results came back 
My amylase was down by 100
So that was good news 
Now I just had to wait to see the doctor to be discharged
I was all set for another epic wait
I swear I'd done nothing but wait since I set foot in that hospital
But to my surprise
He arrived after only a few minutes
With his possey in tow
And gave me the go ahead to go home
They didn't need to tell me twice
I quickly packed my bag 
And rang my Dad who was down stairs 
I went to say goodbye to all the ladies in my ward 
The lady beside me especially 
We used to sit in our respective chairs
And have a fool ol' natter
She was in a tremendous amount of pain
And was drugged up to the eyeballs 
It didn't bother me though
I was getting Tramadol and a sleeper 
So I was happy out

The day in hospital is long 
I was well enough to be conscious of what was happening 
Not sick enough to not be bored
My pain was being managed with the Tramadol
I asked many of the nurses and doctors what I could do to prevent further attacks
But they could be me no answers
And one even told me to pray!
So there seems there's nothing I can do to help myself 
And may just have to put up with this
And learn to live and manage it
I guess in hospital they only treat the symptoms 
They patch you up 
And send you on your way as soon as you begin to improve 
I left hospital at 5pm
And I was delighted to get home
To see Mam and the dogs 
The dogs knew something was up the last few days. 
And they were being unusually quiet
They gave me a lovely welcome though
I had some dinner 
Changed in to my pyjamas
And settled down for the night
Mam is feeling stronger
And is getting around a bit more easily
I'm glad to be home to help out 
I'll whip the place in to shape in jig time

So this morning 
I had to see my doctor 
I had no appointment 
So I just rocked up at 9am
And planted myself outside his room
Avoiding the receptionists 
As I knew if I went through them
I would never get to see him
The surgery was so busy
So I was hoping my doctor would see me
I knocked on his door 
And he called me in
I apologised for skipping the queue 
But he saw me
Which was very decent of him
He asked me about my hospital stay
And again 
He could not give me any answers
Apart from avoiding alcohol
Which I do any way 
I forgot to bring my Tramadol prescription
So I asked my doctor for some 
He was really reluctant to give me some
But agreed to give me two days worth
Albeit half the dose I was getting in hospital
I was so glad he saw me though
At least now I can relax that I have my meds
That's the thing about methadone 
I am so dependant on it
And waiting around for it in hospital was a nightmare 
But the nurses were fantastic
And did their best to get it for me as soon as they could 
Nurses really are the unsung heroes of the health care system
Every time I have a hospital admission
I am so impressed with their kindness
Their efficiency
And their patience
It really is a vocation
Even the student nurse was amazing 

Now I am back home 
And I'm trying to get the house in to some kind of order
My poor sister is absolutely wrecked
She has been on nurse duty now for over a week
Then she had to bring me in to casualty 
I feel so bad for her
But I am home now 
And I can get stuck in
I guess I just need to be careful now
And stay as healthy as I can 
That includes diet, exercise and looking after my mental health
That's all I can do
And hopefully I won't get another attack any time soon 

I'm feeling a lot better though
My pain is minimal
And I'm going to go to my course today all being well 
It's just so lovely to be home 
And have the freedom to do what I like 
Ok I'm off to do some cleaning 
See you on the next post....

11 comments:

  1. Just been catching up with the last three posts. You poor thing¬! I'm thinking of you and sending a prayer up.

    Lots of love

    firefly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Firefky
      You are sweet x

      Delete
    2. Apologies
      Firefly I meant
      Still not with it.... X

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you're feeling better, and that your doctor could see you right away. I'm curious, what is a hospital "ward" like in Ireland? It may be different in some rural areas, but around here city hospitals have one patient to a room. There is a nurse's station or two, as well as medication and supply rooms and sometimes a nook for the doctors. It's rare to have two patients in one room, both for patient preference and to prevent violating our very strict healthcare privacy laws. Most people stay in their rooms unless they're out with physical therapy or something. It sounds like your wards are set up differently, for patients to be meeting each other and having chances for conversation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From my own admissions
      I've been in both a ward and a single room
      But I think most people are put in a ward here
      There could be up to six people in a ward
      And we are literally inches away from each other
      There is also a nurses station
      Some single rooms
      Kitchens
      And utility rooms
      There are advantages and disadvantages to being in a ward
      Of course illness can spread easily
      But if you are well enough to chat to others
      It's nice as everyone supports each other
      At least that's my experience
      Being in a room on your own can be quite isolating
      But if you're not well
      You probably don't care
      And are glad of the peace and quiet

      There is a two tier health system in this country
      Private hospitals are like hotels
      Mum has her operation in a very nice hospital
      Where as I opted to go public for my admission
      I arrived in casualty at about 3pm
      And didn't get a bed until 2am
      But I've heard of worse cases

      It's interesting the differences in health care systems
      What is your experience like? X

      Delete
  3. Your doctor is amazing that would never happen here glad your on the mend and well done on your dressage test x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is anon
      He's been so good to me
      Gone out of his way to help me x

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you're back home. Hopefully you'll be feeling better soon! Sending you so much hope and love xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie
      It's so good to be home
      And now I can concentrate on getting mum well

      Hope you're doing ok
      Need to catch up on your blog x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving some love x