Monday 9 May 2016

To Tramadol or not to Tramadol.....

Monday morning 
And back to the usual routine 
Saw my doctor first thing 
He asked about pain
I said that had a little bit 
He checked my abdomen 
To see where the pain was
And prescribed a medication for ulcers
I can't lie 
I was so tempted to ask for Tramadol 
I really was 
But 
I didn't 
I figured why make life difficult for myself 
A relapse is a slippery slope
Why invite that kind of shit in to my life?
I need to be awake 
As my mother needs me
So I resisted 
To distract myself 
I asked if I could weigh myself 
I had no clue what my weight was 
As I have no scale at home 
And hospital and being sick always messed with my weight
So I'm down about a kilo since the last time I weighed 
And just a bit lower than my target weight in hospital 
So I am happy enough with that
Well
As happy as a person with an ED can be with their weight
Anyway 
I have bigger fish to fry 

My course was cancelled today
So I find myself at a loose end
Although it's nice to have a few hours to myself 
Oh 
I must give you an update on the lunatic driver 
That tried to ruin the Darkness into Light walk
After he ploughed in to the crowd 
He actually hit one person
Who suffered minor injuries 
Not long after 
The mini was found in a ditch
The driver had been drinking all day
And was out of his mind 
I hope they lock him up
What a really horrible things to do
To try and scare the shit out of hundreds of people 
Who are trying to do something good 
But 
He didn't succeed in ruining it for us 
In fact 
This year was the most enjoyable Darkness into Light walk to date 

So things are ticking along nicely at the moment 
Apart from my little holiday on Tramadol last week
I am doing just fine 
I know if I continued to take the Tramadol
I would be hooked before I knew it
And I'm supposed to be caring for my mother for the next few weeks 
I can't do that if I am out of my head
It can happen so quickly and so sneakily though 
They say while you are in recovery 
Your addiction is doing press ups 
Getting stronger 
While I was in hospital 
I took advantage of their liberal prescribing ways 
I asked for sleeping tablets 
Which I got 
And didn't really need 
I asked for more painkillers 
Which I also got 
I know I can be manipulative 
I can play people
But I didn't want to bother my doctor this morning 
And also 
Things are going so well at the moment 
It would be such a shame if I relapsed again 
I'm just not willing the let that happen

In other news 
I got word that my prospective employer rang my two references 
So I'm thinking that's a good sign
They both gave me a glowing report 
Which I am so grateful for 
Given my history 
There aren't a lot of people who I can get a good character reference 
But the two I have are pretty solid 
One is my elderly neighbour 
Who I help out a lot 
And the other is the owner of the little pizzeria I used to work in
So hopefully I will be offered this job 
I will most definitely take it if I am

I will be back horse riding Again this week 
And I can't wait to get back on the saddle 
To see Star 
And to see everyone else 
I missed it do much last week 
So it's great to get back to it 
That's where I get my kicks these days
So no 
I don't need external substances to make me feel good 
I can look inside myself 
Use my own reserves 
And be strong 
I don't need drugs 
I don't need to escape 
I can do this 
I can live in reality 
And heck
I might even enjoy it!
Thanks for your concern after my last post 
And you are right 
I probably should never have been prescribed it at all 
But 
That's ok 
I will get through it

Right 
I'm off to make lunch for Mam
See you on the next post....

7 comments:

  1. SO glad you're going to take the job.

    Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Took a moment to swallow my judgment (pot, kettle... you know). You made the right decision not to ask for more. I know everyone reacts to each medication differently, but tramadol gave me ten times the "high" that Vicodin ever did, yet the U.S. has Vicodin higher on the controlled substance regulation system. Tramadol wasn't a controlled substance at all when it came out, but those of us who filled scripts in the pharmacy knew it was causing problems.

    Stay here with us, Ruby. You can't live - really live - if you're taking more meds for jollies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will Tempest
      Don't worry about that
      I'm. Not going anywhere x

      Delete
  3. I'm glad to hear your decision on Tramadol. I'm also quite surprised that you were given it at all.

    I was given a script for it recently but it does nothing for me. I haven't found much that works that also allows me to remain sane.

    Good news about the potential job. Another positive thing in your life to keep you focused. I can't remember what you said about this, will it mess with your disability status?

    Wishing you the best, as always.

    Hugs. JJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really surprised that you're given such strong painkillers. But I'm proud of you for resisting the temptation to ask for another script. I actually saw a really good doco on prescription drug abuse the other day - I just dropped you an email about it.

    Wow, that driver is nuts! Good thing they caught him, and that no one else was more seriously injured. I still love the concept of walking from darkness into light.

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x