Thursday 12 June 2014

Change

Even though I threw my scale in to the lake
There is still a scales in the house
I brought it in to my room a couple of days ago
Since then I have been daring myself to stand on it
The argument in my head went something like this

Anorexia: Why don't you weigh yourself, you know you want to

Me: No, it will only wreck my head

Anorexia: Go on, just once, I promise I won't get mad so long as you are under Xkg

Me: I'm not falling for that trick, I know that no matter what I weigh, you will be mad

Anorexia: You and I both know that you have gained weight, wouldn't you like to lose just a little bit?

Me: A little bit?

Anorexia: Yea, just a few pounds, you will feel so much better about yourself. Summer is here and you want to feel good in your body don't you?

Me: Of course I  want to look good but I know if I lose a bit, I will want to lose more

Anorexia: No I promise you, just a few pounds

Me: The last time I lost a few pounds, I ended up in hospital

Anorexia: That was your own fault, you were careless, you let people know that you were struggling
Don't you want to be thin and delicate and fragile

Me: Not if it means that along with the weight I lose my mind and almost my life

Anorexia: Let's just see what you weigh before you decide

Me: Ok just this once.........

I was changing my clothes and the scales was there
Mocking me
Daring me to stand on it
I wanted to but I didn't want to
I wanted to know that number but I didn't want to know
I knew that if it was over a certain weight, I would freak the fuck out

My heart was racing as it does everytime I go to weigh myself
My anxiety was through the roof
I knew that if I stood on the scale, my good mood could change in an instant
But curiosity got the better of me
I tapped the platform and the little red zero popped up
When it settled I carefully stepped on
Holding my breath as if that would effect the number
The numbers climbed and climbed and I was starting to think that this was not a good idea
Eventually the numbers stopped
The number was the exact same as it was the last time Mary weighed me 8 days ago

I had mixed feeling about this
I was glad that I hadn't gained any weight
But I was also slightly disappointed that I hadn't lost any
I haven't been trying to lose weight
But these is still that anorectic part of my brain that wanted to see a lower number

Technically I am still underweight
But I really don't feel it anymore
I feel, well, normal I guess

Although gaining weight is not in any way fun
There have been some benefits
I feel better in myself
I no longer get dizzy when I stand up
I feel stronger
More able
Up until a couple of months ago I felt weak and lethargic
I remember being in a shop one day I had this feeling like I was going to pass out
My car was just outside but I remember thinking that I am never going to make it to my car
It was scary

Another change that has come with weight gain is that I have got my period back
It had been absent for 10 years
All through my twenties
Through my addiction and my ED
I never had a period
And now it's back
It's a strange feeling
It's like I got my first period all over again
I guess it's a good thing as it means that my body is working the way it should
And it's a sure sign that my health is improving
But it's still hard
It means that I am moving further away from my ED
I'm not sure why but that makes me a bit sad

There is a lot of change going on in my life right now
And most of it is positive
But change is hard
It's new and unfamiliar and scary
And a huge part of me wants to run straight in to the arms of my ED
I will keep going though
I will keep fighting for a better life
What is the alternative?







4 comments:

  1. And by writing, by sharing, you'll hopefully get some support....
    You áre fighting. And it IS hard. And it's okay to write about that, it's okay to feel it.... just don't let your fears get the better of you...

    Love from a still very warm Holland ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks A
      And thank you so much for your continued support
      You are truly a star x

      Delete
  2. I can relate so much. Scale is not my friend. It has never been one but now I can finally see that. I still have to fight the urge to weigh myself every single day though, so I know what you're going through.
    I know old habits die hard and coming back to the things you know is really comforting, but stay strong and don't give in, no matter how scary and uncertain the future is.
    Hang in there, dear.

    ~ Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Meg,

      I am glad but also sad that you can relate
      It's a confusing place to be

      Thank you for your well wishes
      I wish the same for you x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving some love x