Saturday 6 September 2014

Progress Report

I got a letter in the mail this week
It was from the hospital I was in earlier this year
A survey to fill in now that 6 months have passed
I was surprised that it has been 6 months already
In some ways it feels like I have just left hospital
But in others it feels like forever since I left
I was in hospital twice in the last year
It didn't work
It never does
I seem to get worse in hospital
If that is possible
I become sneaky  and devious
I lie and lie
And manipulate
And deceive
Trying to stay one step ahead of the staff
Trying to find the exact moment when I can sneak to the bathroom to purge
Then lying about it
It's exhausting
Draining
It's a full time job trying to hide your ED
But was I really hiding it?
Probably not
The staff can tell by your appearance
By your blood pressure
And of course by your bloods
I was fooling no one
Least of all myself

I was discharged from hospital both times for failing to gain weight
In fact I lost weight in hospital
And continued to lose weight when I got home
Dropping to 40kilos at one point
I still thought I was fat



I was at a loss when I came home from hospital
I didn't know what to do
I had exhausted all my options
Nothing was helping
This culminated in me taking an overdose
I didn't tell anyone
It wasn't until a week later that I told Mary
Because I was afraid I was going to do it again
She took action immediately
She contacted my doctor and psychiatrist
I saw him the next day
He changed my meds
Increasing my olanzapine
And putting me on Prozac
I took it like a good little anorectic
But I had little faith that it would help at all

The next few weeks I white knuckled it
Barely hanging on
Trying to keep it together
Trying to find a reason not to disappear
The gradually I noticed that I felt a little better
I didn't feel so down
I didn't feel like I wanted off this earth
And also the binging and purging stopped
That was a minor miracle
I had been purging 10 -15 times a day
I had a path worn from my kitchen to my bathroom
It was such a relief

Then I noticed that my weight was going up
At first I was terrified
I didn't want to gain
But it was happening anyway
I'm still getting used to the weight
It's taking a lot of time and a lot of patience
Now I realize that if I want to stay well
If I want peace of mind
I have to be a healthy weight
I can't have one without the other

My thinking has changed too
Because I feel a bit better about myself
I no longer need to depend on my anorectic identity
I no longer need to hold on to that girl
Because I know that I am enough just the way I am
I don't need to be underweight in order for my family to love
My family and friends will love and accept me no matter what I weigh
And no matter what I look like

The biggest difference in my frame of mind is that I no longer want to die
That's saying it bluntly
I now feel like I can handle life
And reality
I want to live
I want to experience things
I used not care whether I lived or died
It just didn't matter to me
Now it matters
It matters a lot
I have a family
Friends
2 dogs that depend on me
And would be heart broken if I died
I want to live
I. Want. To, Live

So here I am
Warts and all (And there are a lot of warts)
If you don't like me because of what I weigh
Or what I look like
Then I don't want you in my life
There is more to me than skin and flesh
I am more than a number on a scale
I am more than the size on an item of clothing
Those numbers don't define
They don't begin to explain what I am about
Or what you are about
I don't measure my worth by these numbers
I measure my worth by how I live my life
How I help others
How I contribute to my family
How I keep my dogs
How I bounce back from the hurdles in my life
How I keep fighting even though I suffer from 2 chronic illness'
How I stay positive even on the darkest day
How I smile and laugh even though I may feel I am dying inside
How I fight every single day to stay well
This is what I am made of
This is what defines me
This is what really matters

My past doesn't define me
I am changing the script of my life
I shouldn't have survived
I shouldn't be here
I died many times
But I am still here
I am alive and kicking
There must be a reason for that
Because it's not by choice
I welcomed death
I sat in it's waiting room
But each time I was turned away
Told it wasn't my time
I still had things to do
And so I will do them
Tough times don't last
Tough people do





5 comments:

  1. Well...
    How to reply to such an honest and strong blog?
    By saying progress is visible. You know, you always wonder about what people think of your appearance? I finally found a difference. You don't look like you're dying any more. And it has NOTHING to do with weight. It's in the eyes. Most of former pictures were with fake smiles and a look of loss or hopelessness in the eyes. And now there's a sparkle there.
    sort of saying: 'I am facing my fears, and I am still standing, I am still alive and I am going to show the world....'.

    I hope you do. I really hope you do.
    The world is better with you. With you being as healthy as you can.
    At least, my world is.

    Enjoy your last day at your current age! Tomorrow the old times begin :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh thanks A
      That really mean a lot
      And thank you for your continued support
      Your comments always make me smile

      I can see difference too
      And you are right
      I was half dead
      And dead in the eyes

      It was so good to be able to show this post to my mother
      And show her how thing s have turned around
      That means so much to me x

      Delete
  2. All I can say is you are an utter inspiration Ruby, what an achievement! Love Amy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about that
      But thank you Amy
      For your kind words xf

      Delete
  3. Ruby,
    After having read this, it really made me realize that no matter what, I am better than this illness too. It does not define me. My weight, the number, none of it. I need to be happy in my own skin, love myself.
    I have been struggling, recovering anorexic myself, so I know what it's like. This past week marked my one year anniversary of being admitted to the hospital. I was inpatient for three weeks and it was the most eye-opening three weeks of my life. It was a struggle for sure, but I came out a better person. I felt anyways.
    I enjoy reading your blog and I will continue reading it.
    We are on a journey to better ourselves. Life is to grand to waste!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x