Saturday 7 March 2015

Recovery?

As you know 
For  the last 16 odd years
I've been bouncing between my addiction and my ED
When one was under control
The other spun way out of control
As my psychiatrist once said 
I have many 'chronic conditions'
Way to make me feel worse than I already did
So between the two issues
I have pretty much avoided reality for the past decade and a half
After some years with my ED in the driving seat
Things now seem to be changing
And my addiction seems to be in control
It feels closer
And more present than my ED
Don't get me wrong
My ED is still there
But it has vastly improved
My weight is stable
Or as stable as it can be
However the purging persists
I guess to most people purging 2-5 times a day is wildly out of control
But for me it's progress

So my ED seems to have taken a back seat
In a way it's a relief
But my lovely friend addiction has been waiting to take its place
There are many signs that my addiction has taken over
I'm misusing my meds
I've used quite a bit
Although not in the last two weeks
I'm lying to my family
I'm withdrawn
Disinterested
Irritable
Resentful
All those things that come part and package with addiction

I don't know which is worse
My ED or my addiction
Addiction is like a tornado
That suddenly bursts in to my life
And utter chaos ensues
It doesn't matter if I use once or one hundred times 
The level of upset and chaos is the same
I heard my mother say recently 
That if I went back taking drugs
It would kill her
I don't doubt her
It takes an extreme toll on families 
I think my family bore the brunt of my addiction
I was out of my head
But they lived through every second of it
Stone cold sober
But yes
Addiction rips the heart and soul out of families
We were lucky to make it out the other side

As for my ED
For me
It comes in two distinct parts
Anorexia
And bulimia
I suffer from both
Again switching from one to the other 
They are complete opposites
If anorexia is cold
And silent 
And aloof
Then her sister bulimia is loud
And brash
And in your face
Anorexia causes a silent devastation 
Like an invisible poison infecting the sufferer
And of course their family
The only evidence a bony body
And gaunt face 
Bulimia causes more of a racket
It's more obvious on some ways
Like the amount of food that goes missing 
And in other ways it's harder to see
As the sufferer often won't display external effects
And so no one would ever know
Unless you told them
And who wants to admit that they throw up every morsel of food
Not I
That's for sure

I know that a lot of people don't have time for addicts
And people often misunderstand EDs too
They think we are selfish and vain
And that our EDs are solely about food and weight
But it goes much much deeper than that
EDs are a reaction to life's hardships
A way of exerting control over the one thing we can
Food and weight
And weight becomes the focus 
But there are complex reasons as to why we do the things we do
I firmly believe that people are the way they are for a reason
I didn't just decide one day that I wanted to be eating disorderd
I didn't grow up thinking that I want to be anorexic
Developing my ED was a reaction to experiences that I had had through out my life
A coping mechanism
A way of dealing with feelings and emotions that I couldn't handle 
It's a lot more complex that just wanting to be thin

This post is a reaction to a comment I received on a post I did about the show Supersize versus Superskinny
It went something like this

' I watch this show for entertainment and to feel relief that I am not fat. I don't starve myself because of this show. Get a life'

This is exactly the ignorance I am taking about
This person obviously stumbled upon my blog
And probably only read one post
And judged me on that
Saying 'Get a life' to someone with an ED is like saying 'Pull yourself together' to someone with depression
Or 'Just get up and walk' to someone with two broken legs
It's not that simple
Or straight forward 
Eating something when you have anorexia is as scary as facing your worst fear
I know when I was in the height of my ED
I was so afraid that if I started eating
Then I wouldn't be able to stop
Spinning out of control was my worst fear

I remember when I was in drug treatment
I told one of the boys about my ED
He asked me if I did this to get attention
Again
Another ignorant reaction
This couldn't be further from the truth
The whole point of my ED was to try and disappear
Not gain more attention

I don't get annoyed any more at these reactions
I know it's because people aren't educated
But I think people shouldn't judge what they don't know
Don't make assumptions about me until you have walked a day in my vomit stained shoes

I think people are still afraid of mental illness
They're scared of what they don't understand 
I always like when people ask me questions about my ED or addiction
At least then I can set them straight
And tell them the reality of life for me
But I think a lot of the time
People are wary to broach the subject
And don't acknowledge it at all
But that's not healthy
If we want to tackle the massive problem of people suffering in silence and suicide
We need to let people know that it's ok to feel bad
And it's good to talk
It can save lives 
I am blessed to live in a family that talks very openly about our issues 
Most of a family of six
Four of us have addiction and mental health issues
So there's really no escaping it

Maybe some people would find it hard to understand
But I think it's really important to retain a sense of humour through all of this
My family have a dark sense of humour anyway
And we regularly laugh at ourselves and each other
Because these issues are so heavy
I think it's vital to be able to laugh at ourselves
My family often take the piss out of me with regard to food
They might say 'Who ate all the cake? Was it Ruby the raging bulimic?'
It takes the serious edge off a subject that can be so very dark and mysterious
Sometimes the only thing we can do is laugh

For me
My disorders have always been about getting out of my own head
Away from my own reality
My thoughts
My feelings
An escape
But the thing that I don't always understand is that my reality is not that bad
I have quite a nice life all things considered
I have a living family
I have my health
My animals
Friends 
I'm a fairly intelligent person
But yet
I crave oblivion
I crave checking out of life
And off the planet 
I used to not care whether I lived or died
I really wasn't bothered if I killed myself
But now
Now I want to live 
I've had a taste of what life could be like 
And that life is amazing
And wonderful
And beautiful
Yes it's scary
And confusing
But I would rather be here than not
And that my friends is a freakin' revelation

So if you are reading this today 
And you don't have an ED ot addiction
But you know someone who does
Don't judge
Don't condemn
Don't write them off as difficult 
Take a moment to empathise
Talk to them
Try to understand where they are coming from
Because they are the way they are for a reason


10 comments:

  1. I have notice the shifting..... and I am worried.
    I worry when your ED seems to spiral out of control, which it sometimes does, and I worry now when I see an addict write.... More and more....
    And I wonder....

    I don't know much of addiction to drugs. Nor about abusing medication.
    What I do know is how I take responsibility for my actions, and what maybe also is an idea for you....

    Because whý are you able to misuse your meds? Because the possibility is there....so what about taking away that? What about not giving you weeks perscriptions? What about giving your sister all your meds and the full control over them. Supplying you only with the right dose at the time.

    And going to meetings, at least twice a week, to keep talking about this time in your life. About the addiction taking over....
    Because I really do think that you would use when given the chance so we have to take measures....
    And I do still think you should end the contact with the Boy. And make that official. I feel you leave all posibilities open to start using again, you don't really take a stand, you just try to avoid a little...

    I don't know....
    I dó see some steps but I also see some steps which aren't really steps.
    And I am also not convinced you really want to live an healthy life like normal people, it feels like you crave excitement and obliviation more than daily life with people who care about you...

    I like you, I really do.... but you do worry me and I am not convinced somehow....

    (L)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ruby,

    I have no doubt that you struggle with addictions or anything like that, and I have been following your blog for ages, but I do have a few thoughts.

    It seems that barely a day goes by at the moment where you do not write "I am a hungry, greedy addict", "I do not know how to say No", "I have an addictive personality", "there is no off switch with me" etc. etc. Whilst I don't doubt that these things are a reality for you, I wonder just how damaging it might be to be constantly telling yourself these things. It's as though you're labelling yourself and almost, although probably not consciously, deciding that this is now your fate, as insulin injections are to someone with diabetes. When I was in the grips of severe clinical depression, there were days when I thought 'I can't get out of bed; I'm depressed. They're telling me I'm depressed and depressed people don't get out of bed, therefore nor can I'. And later, when I was labelled with EDNOS, it became 'I can't eat pasta; I have an eating disorder. They're telling me that I am eating disordered, therefore I better act that way'. Yet it was when I decided that things don't have to be this way, that I began to feel the best I have in four years. So you see, I just don't think it's helpful to keep drumming into your head 'I am anorexic, I am bulimic, I am an addict', because I wonder if sub-consciously it's almost excusing what you're doing. Like, "I drank poppy tea, but that's because I am an addict. I purge, but it's ok because I am bulimic". Do you see what I'm trying to say? Imagine constantly telling another person "You're anorexic, you're bulimic, you're an addict" and think how damaging that could be to their mental state, if said every single day. They would start to believe that they are true. Like I say, I do know that you struggle with anorexia, bulimia and addiction, but I don't know how helpful it is to keep drumming in the message. Otherwise, how are you ever going to move on?

    Just my thoughts, not intended in a horrible way or anything and sorry if it comes across that way!

    L xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A you are not wrong
    My health and well being do not bother me as much as they probably should
    I don't care about anything that happens to me
    What I do care about is my family and their feelings
    And that is what is keeping me clean and sober
    I am still struggling with the fact that I can not see The Boy
    I have feelings for him
    And I so wish I didnt
    But I know if I see him I will use
    That is the reality of the situation
    I guess I want to have my cake and eat it too
    I want to see The Boy
    I want to use
    But I don't want the consequences
    Unfortunately I can't have one without the other

    And yes
    Meetings are a must at the moment
    And am going to try and get to 3 in the next week
    I'm afraid that I haven't told the boy I can't see him yet
    I need to
    It's just really hard

    I appreciate your honesty A
    You are a true friend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry
      I meant to post this under As comment x

      Delete
  4. Hello L,

    First thank you for your insightful comment
    I hadn't realised until you said it that I am in fact speaking to myself in a very negative way
    And I guess if you repeat something often enough
    You begin to believe it
    I know I need to be a bit kinder to myself and show myself some compassion
    I guess my natural tendency is to be negative
    And to talk to myself in a negative way
    And yes
    I totally agree. With you
    That when we are given a label
    We start to behave in that way
    When I was first diagnosed with anorexia
    I acquired habits because I thought that was the way I was supposed to be
    The power of being labelled is very powerful

    Thank you for this comment
    As I wasn't really aware that I was doing this
    Now I can address it
    And try to be a bit nicer to myself x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here here to that!

    It's really hard, and has taken me a good four years to start being kinder to myself. I still notice it now - I can do 8 hours of studying in a day and berate myself for not doing 9, but I would never ever say that to anyone else if they's done all that work. But I am getting better at quietening that critic voice in my head. You can get better too, and do think about those negative labels you seem to give yourself - you're never going to be free of anorexia, bulimia and addictions if you keep telling yourself that you have them.
    L xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know exactly what you mean L
    It's like we hold ourselves to a much higher and harsher level
    We would never speak to someone else the way we speak to ourselves
    We need to be a bit nicer to ourselves for sure x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with both of these posts. Are you seeing a therapist? I really, really think it would be God for you if you're not because quote honestly, I think Methadone is a terrible crutch. I know that in the beginning it's not so bad but I think now it gives you a way to still use. You're not drug free really. I think it would be great if your sister or mom was in charge of your medication because then you would have to regulate it. You can't live this way. This is not how people were intended to live. I totally understand the disappearing feeling because I have it even now with my seasonal depression. Sometimes you just want to go away for a whole and not have to deal with the feeling of living, the horrible disappointment that comes from knowing you're not living to your full potential. I called a friend of mine because I was upset about my relationship and how I was handling things and she told me that I need to admit where I am. There are deeper problems that sometimes we don't address and we say it's no big deal or minimize the emotions but I think you should have a candidate discussion with yourself and maybe journal it, about what you truly think is the heart of the matter. We're all afraid of something and so often fear is what keeps us rooted to these unhealthy places. I used to agree with you in EDs not being selfish hut now I disagree. I think they are. You're stuck all day monitoring yourself and your behaviors or telling yourself horrible things. You're not thinking of ideas to contribute to the world or about positive things. It causes a person to become so stuck in the thinking of how wrong things are and how awful you're being and all those horribly toxic things that I've said to myself just like every ED struggler. I hope you won't take this post as offensive, I really so care for you and it's frustrating to read that you feel this way and I can see steps that you can take and I read a few days ago that you'd look into maybe a hobby or job with pets and now we're here. I want you to have a good life. I want you to smile and for the illness not to be a joke but a memory. I believe in you and I know all of us that read do too. Even day think of five things you are capable and powerful enough to do, even if it's waking up and walking your dogs. The more confident you become the bigger your goals will get.. I promise. You can do this. You are strong, your beautiful, you are capable. You deserve life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ps, sorry for the typos my phone has a mind of its own...

      Delete
  8. so sorry can't give helpful replies like above,didn't want to not comment ,just hope and pray so hard that it will be easier for you soon ,you deserve a change.you never stay knocked down for long so you keep going. Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x