Thursday 2 April 2015

Anorexia in men

The weather was shocking last night
So instead of heading in to town to NA
I decided to head to one of the villages near me to AA
My sister was going too
So I called in to get on the way
And we both headed over

For some reason I get a lot more nervous at AA meetings 
Maybe because they tend to be a lot bigger
We arrived 
My sister made tea
And I took a seat in one of the comfortable arm chairs
We chatted for a few minutes 
And then the meeting started 
Just then someone came in
And took a seat across from me
I recognised the person
A guy 
But I couldn't tell where I knew him from
Or how
The first thing I noticed was that he was very slim
Then when he sat down
He took out a packet of sweets
And seemed very absorbed in them
As the meeting went on
I glanced over at him a couple of times 
I knew him from somewhere
I just couldn't figure out where
He was young 
Maybe younger than me
Dressed in jeans and trainers
One leg crossed over the other 
He really was very slim
I had my suspicions 

After the preamble was read out
The meeting began
This particular guy was the first to speak
When he introduced himself
I knew straight away who he was
He was a guy I used to know
A long time ago 
He went to NA at the same time I did
He looked the same 
Yet he looked a lot different 

The meeting went on
I spoke a little bit
It was over before I knew it
Afterwards we all had tea
And this guy came over to talk to me
He remembered me too
I told him that he looked different
He said henchman lost a lot of weight 
That he had been very sick
And they did lots of tests
But they couldn't find anything wrong with him
And that it was psychological
This sounded very familiar
As this is pretty much exactly how my story started out 
He continued to speak
He mention 
Weight 
Numbers 
Exercise
I could relate to everything 
He was speaking at a terrific rate
Words poured out of him like water
And I was finding it hard to keep up
Eventually I told him how much I could identify
I said I didn't know if it was the same thing
But I had anorexia/bulimia 
And it was every bit as serious as my addiction

He did not exactly say the words
'I have an eating disorder'
But he pretty much described the text book ED type
He talked about having four sets of scales
Running
Trying to get below certain weights
Typical behaviours of someone with an ED
He explained how it was very difficult to talk about it 
As men don't talk about that kind of thing

We went outside
He smoked and talked
I listened 
The words continued to fall out of his mouth
He is obviously  in a bad place
And doesn't have his addiction fully under control either
We drank our tea
And got ready to leave 
I took the guys number 
And he asked me to text him
I said I would

I think this is the first time I've ever spoken to a male with an ED
Maybe I have in the past unknowingly
But this guy is the first
I really felt for him
I guess this illness is mainly thought of as a female illness
Maybe this is why he's telling people that he's been ill
As it's easier than telling the truth 
He was on my mind all last night
I just kept thinking how much he had to deal with 
And how life is so cruel
And how could I help him
But I need to be careful when I start thinking like that
As I start thinking I can save the world
And get way ahead of myself
It's not my place to help this guy
I need to help myself first
I had to remind myself that I am in the same boat as this guy
I am the one that needs to accept the help right now
Not give it out

I guess last night was a reminder that men suffer from this illness too
Albeit it's a lot rarer in men 
But we musn't forget them

In other news 
I am doing good
My new teeth are amazing
And I am going around grinning like a Cheshire Cat
I am getting on average one meeting a day 
And it is doing me the power of good
To anyone that is struggling out there today
Hang on in there
Just keep hanging on
As my sponsor used to say to me
Don't quit five minutes before the miracle

1 comment:

  1. You know that analogy about putting your own oxygen mask on first on an airplane before you try to help someone else put theirs on? That.
    By the way your teeth (and you!) look beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x