Monday 14 September 2015

The other anorexic...

You may remember over the years
My mentioning another girl in my area who is also anorexic
I used to meet her when I was walking my dogs
She would be pounding the pavement
Like a speed walker
And she seemed to walk all day
As any time I went walking
I met her
She was incredibly thin
With stick like arms and legs 
I don't know how she had the energy to walk so fast and so far
I guess she was like me
Running off of the fumes of the little food we allowed ourselves
And when we passed each other
We would whisper a timid hi
I recognised her straight away as a fellow anorectic the first time I saw her
You know the way you just know when you meet someone just like you
It was then that I realised that I wasn't the only anorectic in the village

As with a lot of eating disordered people 
It's hard to gage this woman's age
As her body was so childlike
Yet her face was that of someone in their mid to late forties
I have photos of me looking the same way
Having the body of a male child 
But the face of a mature woman 
It's a strange combination
And maybe one of the reasons that we recognised each other

I asked around about this girl 
I found out her name 
And that her sister died from anorexia a while back
She doesn't seem to work 
But drives a nice car
And always presents herself very well
I get the impression that she is an A typical anorexic
Shy 
Introverted 
A perfectionist 
She had all the ingredients to make up a recipe for disaster ED wise

I've met this girl quite a bit over the years
But have never said more than hello to her
But still
I felt we had a strange connection
They neither of us had to say anything 
Because we both felt each other's pain
And of course
I used to compare myself to this girl
Wondering if I was as thin as her
I'm sure she was thinking the same looking at me

I also often used to meet her in the supermarket
Which was mortifying 
As she would be buying things like bananas and lettuce
And I would have a basket full of binge food 
I wondered if she binged 
If she ever lost control completely 
Like I did almost every day
Sometimes I had a huge urge to speak to this girl
To run up to her
And give her a huge hug
And tell her that I understood her pain
That she could talk to me if she wanted
That I could be a friend to her
But of course I never did
I wish I had though

Over the last year
I have noticed that this girl hasn't been around much
I haven't met her walking in ages
And I was wondering what happened to her
I was hoping that she had got well
And found recovery 
But I really feared for her and her safety 
In the last couple of months
I have met this girl a couple of times shopping 
And I am delighted to report that she looks so much better
She has gained weight 
Not a lot
But enough so that she has life in her eyes again 
And a spring in her step 
I was so happy to see her in a better place 
It warms my heart 
And gives me hope

I was in the doctors this morning
I had just finished 
And was a walking out the surgery door
When I came face to face with this girl
She saw me
And I registered surprise in her face
She held the door for me
I said hello
And thanked her 
But for that split second 
Looking in to each other's eyes
I felt like we almost had a conversation
We saw each other looking
And feeling so much better
I even felt proud of this girl
For taking her life back
And for standing up to this cruel illness

Now that I am on the mend 
And tentatively venture in to recovery 
I feel a huge urge and obligation to let others know that recovery is possible 
I feel it's my duty to spread the word that you can and will get better
Mary asked me last week 
If I could go back and tell my ill self something
What would it be
I didn't have to think long about this
I would tell myself to go for recovery
That I had nothing to lose
And everything to gain 
Not to waste another year, month, week, day on this illness 
To take that leap of faith
I wouldn't regret it

Now I feel like I should let others know the huge benefits of embarking on recovery 
In the midst of an ED
It's so hard to see a way out 
To see beyond the ED
Which is why weight restoration is vital in recovery 
You literally can't think straight until your brain and body is fed
I can't even explain to you
How much better I feel now that I am weight restored 
I can think straight 
I have more strength and capability 
The difference is night and day 

But of course 
As the saying goes 
You can take a horse to water 
But you can't make it drink
It's the same with recovery 
From any addiction or illness
You can't change until you are ready 
Denial is a powerful thing
And people can go their whole lives without acknowledging that there is a problem
No one can do it for you
As I have often said 
If love and support could have got me well
Then I would have recovered a long time ago
But you can't force it
It happens only when we are ready

I am just so happy that this girl seems to be getting well 
And I would still love to talk to her 
But maybe that would be inappropriate 
I'm not quite sure
I think recovery often happens when people reach their thirties
At this age
A lot of people have been suffering for over a decade 
Usually people are worn down
And sick and tired of feeling sick and tired
I know I had more energy in my twenties 
I had the resilience to bounce back and keep going 
But now
I just don't have the energy or the inclination to maintain an ED or an addiction
I'm just too old for that s**t

The point of this post
Is to let you know that recovery is possible 
No matter how low you go
Or how hard you fall 
Recovery is there for each and every one of us 
We just have to reach out and grab it
My friend the walker
I'm sure her quality of life has dramatically improved  
And I wish her every health and happiness 
God knows she deserves it

7 comments:

  1. Too true. You need to gain weight before you can recover ironically because you otherwise aren't getting enough glucose to the brain and then you make poor reactionary choices. I've seen it. sad to say but I've known a severely anorexic eating disordered woman who was going pretty crazy. like she worried she's absorb calories from moisturizer and that she'd accidently eat crumbs on her pillow in her sleep...you don't want to go there. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it interesting you say she was "going pretty crazy" because of her thoughts about absorbing calories from moisturiser. I do some pretty weird stuff like this too like I won't watch cooking shows or be around the smells of food because I'm terrified of absorbing the calories. People would say it's from my lack of nutrition but in contrast to this I am not underweight. I don't think it's about the weight or malnutrition everyone's eating disorder manifests in its own way adapts and evolves. It preys on both your weaknesses and strengths and then uses them against you.

      Also ruby you said you wanted to talk to her but were unsure. I went to school with a girl she was kept down and we became friends. She was very quite though we progressed into the next year and I didn't see her much next thing I knew I was passing her in the corridor and she was literally barely there. I knew she was anorexic. We continued our friendship at a distance as I declined and she tried to regain ground without weight. We both knew the other was anorexic but never dare say a word. We became friends on Fb after I had to drop out of school for treatment and somehow one day we spoke about it to one another not what we are or what we did or anything triggering just that we had both been there that we wished the other had said something sooner that we wanted to help eachother that we understood. She has since moved a distance away but we still keep in contact. Not intimately but enough. I dunno it's a relief to share the recovery with someone to not feel so alone because our eds are so isolating and (I know for me) you often believe you are the only one in your town going through it when really your not. We have a campaigne over here called 'r u ok day' it's supposed to raise awareness about mental health it reminds me that a smile or a friendly hello or how are you or your not alone or you've got a friend in me can truly save a life.

      You've taken so many leaps of faith rubs I'm sure you'll make the right decision. You don't have to tell her everything either maybe just share your passion for walking your dogs or something? Everyone needs a friend xx

      Delete
    2. I really would love to talk to this girl
      I just don't know how she would react if I approached her
      As she seems quite reserved
      And I don't want to scare her
      Or make her feel uncomfortable in any way
      But maybe a situation will present itself and I will be able to speak to her
      I hope so x

      Delete
    3. Dragonfly I hope you get help because because being afraid of cooking shows and being around food is significant delusion whatever the root cause.

      Delete
  2. This is really interesting. I've several times in different cities been in the situation of seeing someone severely suffering from this condition. I haven't known what to do. I've asked both professionals and other sufferers and they all say leave it.... Honestly, sometimes these people have looked like they are about to drop dead. Most recently it was a young child, primary school age, I'm old enough to be her mother. But others have been teens, twenties, thirties.... I am interested and touched that you feel so much that you want to reach out to these people. I do, because I want them to get better, and I fear for them, but I tend to feel I probably wouldn't be a good friend to an anorexic, they probably need someone else.... But that's just me. I don't know how much it has to do with a bad experience of someone who broke off a friendship with me because I intervened when she reached a dangerously low weight. Or whether I would worry that I wasn't a good person for this role anyway. I am glad other people feel less vulnerable about being friends to people with the condition, even if you haven't managed to carry it through to fulfilment yet. Thank you Ruby for all your warmth and encouragement to everyone over recovery. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For what it's worth
      I think you absolutely did the right thing with your friend
      And if she doesn't see that now
      She will in time
      Sometimes we have to do things to help the ones we love
      And sometimes they don't see that it's for their own good
      But she will realise it eventually x

      Delete
  3. I had the same thing one time. I was admitted in hospital. And I walked with my heart monitor and my dad to the lounge. And a woman was sitting there. She looked like a child, so fragile and thin. She drunk coffee. Black. I passed her, and we looked briefly at each other. And it was like I saw sadness itself in her eyes. And I just wanted to hug her, and tell her it'll be alright. But I couldn't, because I was ashamed. I was ashamed because she was thinner than I am. And I was afraid she wouldn't understand that I understood her. So I walked further with my dad. And I still regret that. And it was two years ago. And I still wish I could've said to her that it'll be alright...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x