Tuesday 26 June 2012

Daddy's girl

I'm still reeling from my findings about the olanzapine
The more I think about it the more I can't believe I've been quietly taking it like a good little anorexic
I feel like I've been duped, had , done
I've not been taking it for 4 days now and the difference is remarkable
I have more energy and I don't feel like I want to sleep all day
My mood has improved and I'm just generally feeling better
I'm now only taking methadone and I'm happy enough with that
I wrote a few posts ago how a lad that had been in hospital with me had hung himself
This guy was super smart and he really gave the doctors a run for their money
He constantly questioned them and stood up for himself
I remember one day we were given a talk about the benefits of medication
He made mince meat of the speaker and shot her down
I remember being so pleased
I don't dispute that some medication is useful some of the time and even as a last resort but the way they out hand pills in country is wrong on so many levels
The 2 sets of people who are treated like Gods in this country are the clergy and doctors
Well maybe not so much the clergy anymore what with all the recent scandals
But doctors yes, people take what they say as gospel and don't dispute it
Psychiatry is not an exact science, far from it

'How's the view up there Ruby?'
Yes, I'm on my high horse
I'll get down before I hurt myself

But this is more than just about the side effects of olanzapine
This is a bit of a revelation for me being a drug addict
I always thought the answers to my problems were in drugs and pills
They were the only way I get out of my head, literally
Realising I don't want or need them is a huge step for me
To actually want to be awake and not asleep or comatose is very new
It's good
It's great even

My dad is down for the day
I haven't seen him in about a month
My dad is a funny one
Our relationship was non existent up until the time I went in to hospital for the first time
I was in regular hospital for 4 weeks and then a psychiatric hospital for 2 weeks
Even though he lived an hour and a half away he came to see me everyday
It was the first time we had sat down just me and him and really talked
Some days we didn't talk at all, we just sat, me writing and him reading the paper
He always brought treats, magazines or my favourite chocolate
Even though I was at my sickest I have fond memories of that time
I realised he wasn't just an alcoholic control freak
He was my dad
My older sister and brother don't really have a relationship with him and that makes me sad
He is great to talk to, we have the best conversations about anything and everything
He also loves my dogs just as much as I do
So as the four of us went for a walk this morning I was excited to tell him that I'd stopped taking the olanzapine. He used to be worried that I'd fall asleep driving or set the house on fire
He knew I abused it anyway
So I was wondering about you and your dad
Do you get on with your dad?
Do you want to get on with him if you don't?

Oh and another effect of not taking the olanzapine
I haven't been binging and purging half as much
I'm not planning my binges days in advance
I know it's early days but I just feel so positive about not taking it

Mary just rang
I'm seeing her tomorrow
I wonder what she'll think of all this

Until tomorrow x

22 comments:

  1. i really like you ruby. my friend i told you about felt just the same when she got of the zyprexa. maybe you should ask your doctor when he diagnosed you with schizophrenia, because these are the indications it has been approved for: "Zyprexa (olanzapine) is an atypical antipsychotic medication used to treat schizophrenia and manic episodes of bipolar disorder" may i add that the golden standard for manic episodes is still lithium? and most bipolar people are misdiagnosed hyperactive people? and adhd does not mean you are intellectually handicapped? aso aso..very tempted to go back to college to do a medical degree and specialize in psychiatry. god i am so sick of this, they are just so f'n lazy! if - for instance - surgeons would work the way most psychiatrists do most of them would be in jail for manslaughter!
    'xcuse the rant
    keep going babe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like you too Loulou
    I whole heartedly agree.
    I will never take another pill again without thoroughly researching it first. I'm glad your friend got off it too.
    Hope you are well sweet pea x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took the meds as a last resort. I refused them for fucking years because I saw what legal and illegal drugs have done to my Mum's family. It was really fucking crushing to realise that they were the only kind of help I was going to get. I'm wishing I'd stayed on the appetite suppressing ones now :/ At least Id' be suicidal and skinny instead of suicidal and fat.

    My Dad? I used to be such a Daddy's girl. Then one day in fucking tears I told him infront of my brothers that I used to look up to him and want to be like him and make him proud, until I'd realised that every single time I'd shared a dream of mine he'd shot it down and told me I wasn't smart enough/athletic enough/good enough to go for it. Now I'm just another BA-holder wasting her "talent" and "potential" in a supermarket job. Woo.

    I'm so glad you two found a way to build some kind of good relationship. It gives me hope for humanity.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really makes my blood boil how mental illness is fobbed off with medication. My sister lives in Australia and she was suffering from anxiety brought on by bullying at work. Her doctor sent her to a therapist and medication was never even mentioned. She is doing great now.

    Yea, I'm glad I have a relationship with my dad despite the way it came about. In a weird way all my families drama brought us closer together. I hope you and your dad grow close again.

    I love your comments, you're quite the witty chick and I love that.

    Hope your day is going well x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im a daddy's girl too =D

    I have to doctors tomorrow and hopefully they wont fob me off with medication...

    Have a good week rubyrube x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Kate,
    I hope your doctors appointment goes ok, don't stand for any fobbing off,
    Let me know how you get on,
    Much love to you x

    ReplyDelete
  7. :) I am so happy about you not taking it. And I am so happy that you are already feeling a positive impact :) This is so great ruby, I am just sorry that you had to suffer so long on them.
    And I agree with you, doctors make mistakes, they get things wrong sometimes. I am fortunate to have found a very good doctor who listens to me and takes me seriously. But I also have seen some terrible doctors in the past. My sister saw a doctor repeatedly about stomach pains - she fobbed her off with pain killers and wouldnt take her seriously. Then my parents got involved and demanded that the doctors submit her for scans and blood tests and they found she had 3 cysts the size of tennis balls growing on her ovaries which had to be immediately surgically removed.
    Stand up for yourself - you have every right to ask questions, voice your concerns and even ask to be seen by someone else.

    Glad you have a good relationship with your dad..
    Mine is so so. I have lost a lot of respect for my father but I am glad you have found a good relationship with yours <3
    Love you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that is awful about your sister, that doctor was way out of order, I'm glad she was seen to by a proper doctor.
      My doctor is the nicest man but has no clue about eating disorders or mental illness. He means well but that's just not good enough. I'm lucky to have Mary, she is better than all the doctors I've ever seen.
      I'm sorry you have lost respect for your father, I hope he can restore your faith in him.
      Love you too sweetie x

      Delete
  8. Hey there. I know it is amazing what you can find out about some of the meds that exist out there. I look every med up that is suggested to me so I know the side effects and long term effects and stuff.

    I don't recall reading about the lad but it makes me feel very sad. He sounded like a really great guy. Yeah I am starting to learn that you have to stick up for yourself no matter what.

    I am glad you get to see your dad today. I miss my dad and mom alot. I wont see them until next year. It will be the 1st I am going a year and some months without seeing them. it's really hard on me sometimes.

    You have a great day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely agree, I won't be taking any more meds without thoroughly researching them first.
    I'm sorry you don't get to see your parents much, do they live far away?
    Much love to you x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't commented for a while, but I've been catching up on everything I missed and I'm so happy you're starting to get your binging and purging under control. You sound like you're really starting to take control of your life, and I'm so happy for you.

    My relationship with my dad is awful. He had a stroke when I was 7, and he never truly recovered. I think I was close to him before his stroke, but I barely remember what he was like now. He's been smoking cannabis daily for about 40 years so his paranoia and schizophrenia is terrifying. I try not to talk to him any more because every time we talk we argue, and then I end up self harming.
    Sorry for ranting at ya there. I haven't really thought about our relationship for a while.
    Good luck with everything darling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So lovely to hear from you my dear and thanks you for your kind comment. I'm sorry about your dad, it gets complicated when there are drugs involved. My dad was a drinker but stopped 2 years ago.
    I hope you are well sweetie, I'm going to catch up on your blog now.
    Lots of love x

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's great that you're feeling better without Olanzapine :) I hope everything continues to run more smoothly, medication-wise.

    I don't know my dad. He died two months before my third birthday. I have many issues related to this :(

    Keep fighting
    xxBella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bella,
      I'm so sorry about your Dad, you lost him at such a young age,
      Do you remember him at all?
      If you ever want to chat I am here even if just to listen,
      Much love to you x

      Delete
  13. It's funny you posted this because I've been thinking about my dad a lot. I last saw him when I was really ill and he wants to come and see me Thursday, well more like he told me he was coming here Thursday. He's a control freak like me, hence him telling me he was helping me move (not asking me if I wanted help.)

    He never respected my privacy. He read my diary when I was a kid. As an adult he always kept an eye on my facebook (and myspace back in the day) even now I suspect he reads my blog.

    Despite this, I feel he is the only person who understand me. We're similar so we 'get' each other. He understands my anorexia better than I do. He's the only person who can convince me to eat without me feeling guilty afterwards. I miss him a lot, yet I worry about seeing him again.

    I'm glad not taking olanzapine has worked out positively for you! Totally get that with doctors. Mine keep throwing prozac at me... every single appointment I've been offered medication! I want help, not to be drugged up to the eyeballs, gah! Funding innit! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your dad sounds a lot like mine, controlling, my mother finally left him about 10 years ago.
    I hope things go well when you see your Dad on Thursday, it's great that you 'get' each other, I feel like that about my dad too.
    I never thought we'd get on as well as we do now.
    Let me know how it goes, much love x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I share your hate for the pill givers, they just hand them so easy like it would wipe half of the world away. I did some light overdosing few years back with everything I was able to get my hands on and realized that I didn't want any pills in my body before I was in position of not being able to decide about it.

    Funny what it takes to dad's to get closer to their daughters. Mine is still distant but then again I've never been at hospital and like really sick...

    Good luck for the day darling
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Tatyana for that,
    hope you are well x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never had a dad... And tbh sometimes I am glad I didn't.. Does it make sense?

    Take good care of you <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sorry Kitty but yes I understand,

    Take care of you too x

    ReplyDelete
  19. The little lights in the dark and the glimmers of hope in a life of sadness. It's what we must live for.


    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x