Wednesday 19 December 2012

New 'do!

I leave for Australia early tomorrow morning
I'll be there for a month so I may not be around as much over the next few weeks
However I will check in and try to post once a week
So I just wanted to take this chance to wish you all a very happy and peaceful Christmas
Christmas can be tough for us
It's that time of year when we reflect on the last 12 months
For me it's been a tough year
Highs and lows
Ups and downs
Tears and tantrums
Hospital and treatment
Weight loss and gain
Fear and anxiety
I know that a lot of you struggled too
But 2013 is on the horizon
The chance to start over
A clean slate
An opportunity to make changes and resolutions
And I whole 12 months to meet our goals
It's a chance to take a leap of faith
It's a time of hope
New beginnings
Let's make 2013 count
Let's not waste another year, month, day to this cruel illness
Let's take a chance on life




I've come to know some of you quite well
Even though I only started writing this blog a few months ago, I feel like I've known you all longer
You have seen me at my worst and at my best this year
I can only thank you for your unwavering support
It really means the world to me

I hope and pray that 2013 is a better year for all of us
This year I clocked up 13 years in the grip of this illness
There have been crippling lows but like every cloud there have been silver linings
And my silver linings are the people I've met along the way
People who I would never have met otherwise
You are the ones who have got me through
I stand by my statement that the girls I've met in hospital, treatment and here are some of the most beautiful, loving, talented, caring, giving and artistic that I have ever met
We come form the 4 corners of the world but we are all bound by common threads
We are eating disordered
We are hurting
We feel pain probably more than the average person
We're afraid
We're lonely
Some of us just want to disappear
Some of us are holing on by our finger tips
We are in the midst of anorexia, bulimia and EDNOS
We define ourselves by our illness
We don't know how to function without it
Some of us don't want to know
But we are not happy
In our bodies or our minds
We struggle to get through the day
We welcome the sweet release of sleep
Some of us don't ever want to wake up




But I do believe that everything happens for a reason
I do believe there is a reason this is happening
Why?
I don't know yet
But I do believe the reason will become apparent in time
Then it will all make sense
Then we will understand
We will see that we haven't suffered in vain

I hate that we are suffering
But I love that we are all in this together

I hate what this illness has done to us
But I love that we still believe there is hope

I hate that we feel so alone
But I love that we have each other

I hate the thought of being this way forever
But I love that we have the power to not let that happen

I hate that life terrifies us
But I love that we won't let that hold us back



So please take good care of yourselves over Christmas
If you are struggling, reach out to someone
Don't suffer in silence
Don't isolate yourself
Be gentle with yourself
Be kind to yourself
Take it easy
Don't put pressure on yourself
Use your supports
And most of all enjoy yourself
Have fun
Stay close to family and friends
Try not to listen to your eating disorder
Here's hoping 2013 will be better than 2012



I love each and every one of you
I consider you dear friends
Thank you for your support and love
Thank you for being there
For not judging
For reminding me that I can do this
For showing me that I'm not a bad person
For allowing me to be part of your journey
For welcoming me in to this community with open arms


Stay strong girls
Stay safe over Christmas

All my love,

Ruby x


Ps I got my hair done, here's the result


33 comments:

  1. Good luck on your holiday Ruby. If I could manage to leave the house at all apart from my weekly appointment, I would jump on a plane to Sydney right this second and be waiting with hugs for you. It kills me that I can't.
    Maybe next time you're here, I'll be able to fly up and meet you for a cuppa.

    I am also so very grateful for meeting such a special group of girls of here this year - yourself most definitely included. You are one of life's precious gems, I hope you can keep fighting. You are so inspiring, and always have the most perfect words. My life certainly wouldn't be the same if I hadn't started blogging.
    I too hate that we're all suffering, but love that we're able to bond over it and not be so alone.

    Love you so much Ruby dear. Please try to stay safe over Christmas yourself xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Bella
      I know you would if you could but it's nice to know that I will be in the same part of the world as you
      The same country and the same season

      You inspire me to dear Bella, every single day
      You are amazingly strong and so brave

      I wish you a very happy and peaceful Christmas

      Love you too x

      Delete
  2. thank you for your comment and i hope you have a good time, quite a while to be away from home and without mary so good luck and hang on. i keep finding myself fabricating a story for clare my cpn that isnt true, im lying all the bloody time and i dont know why. even when i tell the truth, like about me going home for two days, i hav to lie to make it sound likeit will be okay or change details. have you done that? i dont kno y im doing it!! sorry random rant.... love u xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetie, it is a long time for me to be without my supports but I will have my mother and sister so I'm hoping things will go ok

      Yes, I have done that lied to people
      I'm not entirely sure why I did it
      Maybe because I couldn't face the truth myself or I didn't want people to worry so I played things down
      As long as you are honest with yourself, that is the main thing
      Sometimes we lie to protect ourselves or others

      Stay safe over Christmas

      Love you too x

      Delete
  3. Best wishes for you on your holiday!
    Take care and keep safe. Don't forget to enjoy this moments as well.
    Love you with all my heart Ruby, will be waiting for your return. xx
    Merry Christmas <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Melrose
      I will do my best to enjoy myself and have fun
      I get on great with my sister so that's good

      Happy Christmas to you too
      I hope you have a happy and peaceful Christmas and that 2013 is an amazing year for you

      Love you too x

      Delete
  4. I am so horrible at commenting, though I read your blog almost religiously xD
    But I do believe that 2013 will be better, and different. We can make it that way.
    Stay strong Ruby! You inspire me every day you keep fighting, every day you don't give up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Camille, you inspire me too

    Stay strong x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful hair!
    Thank you for starting your blog- it's been so inspiring for me and for the many others that read this. You know exactly how to get right to the heart of an issue, and you touch people with your words.
    Have a great time in Australia- and don't forget to swim with the sharks while you're there! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily
      You inspire me too, so much
      I will let myself enjoy myself when I'm away and I will definitely be swimming with some sharks x

      Delete
  7. You are so beautiful, and I love the hair. Thank you so much for the kind words, not just in this post, but in all the loving comments you post on my blog. I consider you such a dear friend and have grew to love you quite a bit. I hope you enjoy your Christmas and your trip. It sounds absolutely lovely. Take some pics of good looking Australian guys ;) Lots of love.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh Katie thank you for such kind words
      I consider you a dear friend too
      Strength and love shines out of you
      I hope you and T and the boys have a fantastic Christmas, you deserve it, you really do
      And yes, I will definitely be on the lookout for some fit surfer types!

      Love to you too x

      Delete
  8. I hope you have a wonderful time in Australia, a very happy Christmas and all best wishes for the New Year! Enjoy this experience of a lifetime!

    Your hair looks fantastic!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you sweetie

    I wish you a very happy and peaceful Christmas too x

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a truly beautiful person Ruby, on the outside and inside..I've never read any blog which inspired and captured me like yours..you are a special person..and you're right there is a reason for everything, and a reason why you're here to teach us how to be strong..I hope you can leave a part of your ED at home and enjoy your time with your sister and family and get some rest and peace...and come home happy..I also hope 2013 will be the best year of your life, following by many more...wish you happy holidays and don't forget us in beautiful Australia...much love and take care

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow thank you Lara for such kind words
    I'm blown away by your comment
    You are so lovely
    I won't forget you or any of you girls
    Hopefully I can still blog while I'm away

    Wishing you a very happy Christmas Lara and I hope 2013 is a really great year for you

    Love to you too x

    ReplyDelete
  12. My dear darling ruby! How I am so glad to have met you and become friends with you! I hope that you enjoy Christmas, I live in hope that it won't be as terrible as we fear and maybe we will have some happy moments. As always please take care of yourself, punch temptation in the face, try hard to fight that negative voice and just be your lovely self.

    I hope you have a safe journey and I will be sending well wishes your way and thinking of you, I pray that the new year brings you happiness and peace and positivity. I too believe everything has some greater purpose, so keep striving and holding on, you are a fighter and stronger than your ed would have you believe!

    Love you always! Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad too Rayya that I've met and become friends with you
      You are such a special person

      I hope 2013 is your year

      All my love x

      Delete
  13. Oh and your hair is gorgeous! You look so lovely!!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. *Snugglehugs*

    Your hair looks gorgeous! Prepare for some serious sun-lightening in Oz. (Deffo get some leave-in conditioner to protect it! Or maybe a silly cork-hung aussie hat? XD)

    This post: YES. THIS ALL OF THIS.

    You look after yourself too, ok? Enjoy as much of your holiday as you can. Travel save, don't pat the brightly coloured moths (I nearly did. . .oops) and I hope the noisy birds don't drive you insane. I'm so exicted that you get a Proper christmas! Coz everyone knows christmas is about gasping in the heat and decimating the fruit platters and this:
    http://youtu.be/fCNvZqpa-7Q
    Of course, for us it would be fizzy or grapetise or something since wine generally tastes like arse and doesn't go well with cherries XD

    Love you so much Ruby. Take care of yourself and stay safe and use your supports too, ok? I hope you have a good time.

    Arohanui <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peri
      I've arrived safely, jet lag is a bitch but am fine

      Love you too Peri

      Stay well x

      Delete
  15. Hey Ruby, I hope you have a happy christmas and a lovely new year. You're right, it's a chance for a new start. Enjoy Australia :)
    Alice xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alice, hope you have a lovely Christmas too x

      Delete
  16. Have a wonderful holiday dear! Enjoy the warmth and if you're on the coast, the water, if you're not, then I'm sure you'll have lots to see. I'm also going on a few short trips, so that will be fun. Australia sounds so amazing, so I hope it's amazing. Try to not let you're ED rule you as much as Italy, especially around Christmas. I was going to send you a Christmas card, but if you're going to be abroad, I'll just wait to send it. Have an amazing holiday, and you're right, 2013 should be the year for us to take back ourselves. I love this post. And you're hair looks lovely :) Much love and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetie

      Enjoy your time away too

      Lots of love x

      Delete
  17. You have such a beautiful blog. I wish you a happy holiday where you can feel relaxed and filled with love.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope you have a nice trip and that you enjoy the holidays :)

    PS: really cute hair :) (and do take care of you too!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. have a very merry christman and a wonderful time ruby

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Loulou

      I hope you have a peaceful Christmas

      Take care of you x

      Delete
  20. oh gosh, look at you.. i hope you can see how truly beautiful you are, ruby.. :) have a very merry christmas, darling. xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you Moon!

    Hope you have a happy and peaceful Christmas too x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x