Friday 25 January 2013

Anorexic?

I saw Mary this morning
I was dreading the inevitable weigh in
The first thing she always says to me is 'Shall we get the weigh in out of the way?'
I had planned to refuse to be weighed but curiosity always gets the better of me, even if it did kill the cat
I removed my coat and boots and hat
Carefully stepped on to the scale
Holding my breath as if the air in my lungs would affect the number
I lost weight
Enough to give me a little high
A feeling of satisfaction
Of relief
Having not been weighed in 5 weeks I feared the worst
A big fat gain
And in my frame of mind that would've been enough to tip me right over the edge
Thankfully that didn't happen
But of course a loss is triggering
It makes me want to lose more
And more



The strange thing is that I still question whether I have an eating disorder
I have no doubt that I am bulimic but I don't know if I am anorexic
If I am sick
It's one of the things that stops me from going back in to treatment
The fact that I think I'm not thin enough
But saying that I still felt I wasn't thin enough at 77lbs
I have to keep reminding myself that it is a mental illness and it's not about the number



Mary and I spoke at length about the negatives and positives of holding on to my eating disorder
Of course there are a lot of negatives but there are also positives
There has to be or else we wouldn't continue on this path
For me the positives are that it keeps me numb
I don't have to feel
I don't have to grow up
I don't have to face up to responsibility
I don't have to take the risk of failing because I don't try
I don't have to experience any negatives of life
I don't live in reality
I live in this strange bubble that is my eating disorder
Some comments on my last post suggested that staying in my eating disorder is the easy path
That it takes more courage and strength to choose life
I wasn't sure about this at first
I wasn't sure which was harder, living life or living like this
Living life means taking risks
Putting yourself out there
There is a possibility that I will fail
Fall
There is a possibility that some people won't like me
That I will face rejection
I guess my thinking has been if I don't try then I don't have to face these things
They say we don't regret the things we did, we regret the things we didn't do
I don't want to end up bitter
Cursing myself for the things I didn't do



There is a huge part of me that wants to go one more round with anorexia
To go as low as I can
To reach a new low weight
To tempt fate
Just once more
But of course I used to say that about drugs
Just one more time
Once more and that's it
Unfortunately addiction doesn't work that way
It's not that simple
One turns in to two, turns in to three, turns in to four........
And before you know it your up to your neck in your illness again
As they say in AA 'One is too many and a thousand never enough'
Then there is the other more rational part of me
The part that wants to get well
The last 12 years have been all about my eating disorder an addiction
I've been there
Done that
Bought the extra small t-shirt
Why can't I just accept it's over and move on?
This love affair I've had with anorexia is over
We are like an old married couple
Desperately unhappy but too afraid to do anything about it
Comfortable to live this half life
I need to end this relationship
It's long past it's sell by date
It's rancid
Sour
I've lost too much to this illness
I'm willing to lose any more
So I guess I am trying to pluck up the courage to fight
To fight for my life
My sanity
Anorexia may have won battles in the past but she won't win the war
She can't
She just can't



Do you think it's harder to stay in your eating disorder or to choose life?

26 comments:

  1. Oh ruby I want to hug you this game of numbers is a vile trap.. I wish we could just get free and not see 'how low can we go' it will never be good enough for anorexia.. Please hang on there and keep hold of that fight.

    I want to see you make it out of there alive and you are definitely one of the strongest of us all xx

    Love you always xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you dearest Rayya

    I am fighting, I won't let this thing beat me
    I hope you're ok too

    Love you dearly x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please don't let this eating disorder win my dear. I believe in you, and I have every faith that you can make it through. Even if at times you don't think you will, that's what we are here for to help you the best we can.
    Do whatever you must to fight against it, fight for your life because it is so precious.
    Hang in there Ruby. Sending all my strength and love xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying Melrose, I really am
      Seeing Mary today helped
      I feel a little bit stronger
      Baby steps all the way x

      Delete
  4. 'One more time' mightn't turn in to two, three, four times, 'one more time' might kill you, whether its EDs or drugs. No weight is ever low enough, we all know that. Please keep fighting ruby, grab on to anything you can and hold on <3 xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will Bella
      And you please keep fighting too x

      Delete
  5. I've done both. The first time I was anorexic I was in high school and excelled at school. I was obsessed with being perfect. It served a purpose. I felt in control while out of control. Then I went to college and it presented new challenges because I was recovered. I realized how emotionally stunted I am, how fat I could become, that at heart I'm not one to be on time amd I'm more of a free spirit. That doesn't fit well with the cold and calculated successful woman. Then it came down to I don't think I want to continue on to get my masters right now. That really shook me up. It's like I'm not really the person my disorder made me. I want to travel and learn and do all these things, not go to grad school right away. That's why I did it again. I can't live with the fact that who I really am is not the academic, but the traveler/missionary type. And I still cling to it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hang in there Eve
      Things will get better, I promise you x

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you're doing well. A very insightful post, definitely gave me some things to think about. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm at a place in my life where it is so much harder to choose life and easier to stay in my anorexia. I don't want to though. I want life, life without an ED, because slowly and surely, this illness is taking away my life, bit by bit. I have lost so much, and am now merely existing a pointless existence. I wish I could be like you and pluck up the courage to fight, but I've given in to my anorexia once again, and now face hospitalisation on Tuesday. I'm terrified, because I've been here before and know what happens when I go into hospital. I think I'm most afraid of giving up my anorexia though. Because I can't go through this any more. I'm so glad you've decided anorexia won't win you war. Keep fighting for life! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to read that you are struggling
      I know that place so well
      I know it's hard to fight
      I know it seems like it's too big a battle
      But there is hope, I promise you
      There has to be
      Otherwise what is the point
      I hope Tuesday goes ok for you
      Try to do what is right for you
      Let us know how you get on

      Sending you hope , faith and courage x

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much , your message means the world! X

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you saw Mary. And I agree with Bella's comment, new dog, same old tricks. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bella has a point, totally. One more is the one that turns everything to the wrong side. So keep fighting, you got there, you'll get out too <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I couldn't agree anymore sweetie. Living with me ed for 12 years like you, ana has won many battles. It's easier to stay with her then live without her. But remember how good it felt to say no to her and drugs when you were in treatment? That's what I keep holding onto. That's why I'm going back. I'm sending you lots of love my dear.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know how hard this is, but darling, please don't ever give up. I want you to be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Life is the harder choice, most definitely. Giving up is so easy, so tempting, so pointless and utterly final.

    Regarding mistakes and fear of failure, remember Neil Gaiman and J.K Rowling?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikAb-NYkseI
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md2ydzmnVB1rkacq3o1_500.jpg

    Feeling is scary when you're not used to it. When you get the hang of it again it can be pretty awesome. It also hurts like fuck, but you have the sweet to balance the bitter. To quote from Madoka Magica, "Adult life is only as fun as it is difficult" (I'm not so good at translating)

    If people don't like you, that is THEIR problem and NOT yours. Find your inner Honeybadger and rock the fuck on.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

    By choosing to stay in the bubble of unreality you face being forced out unprepared when the things that allow you to stay in it are removed. Re-feather your wings and learn to fly while you still have the amazing support around you.

    You are worth the fight, you are worth the struggle. The unknown is fucking terrifying but only until you know what it is. Then you know it and it's no longer gaining scary-factor from your imagination ;)

    Sorry this is all over the place, crashing off caffeine and dying of overheating.

    I FUCKING LOVE YOU AND I WANT YOU TO BE ALIVE AND YOUR AWESOME SELF SO I CAN COME VISIT AND WE CAN HANG OUT AND FREAK OUT THE NORMALS AND I CAN MAKE POTATO JOKES YOU CAN MAKE SHEEPSHAGGER JOKES WE CAN LAUGH OURSELVES SILLY.

    So; yeah.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you too Peri, so much
      Thank you for your kind words of support
      That would be amazing to meet up someday
      I'm sure we would get on like a house on fire
      You are amazing

      Hugs right back atcha x

      Delete
  13. Just be strong and have trust in yourself, deep inside you know you can do whatever you choose..
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've said so many times it doesn't matter what weight you are or how thin you are, you still deserve treatment. You do deserve treatment and you do deserve to get better.
    I'm going to go against the grain here and say that choosing to live normally is actually easier than staying in an eating disorder. I shouldn't say choosing, what I mean is actually living a normal life. The problem is that GETTING to the point of living a normal life is a lot harder than staying with the eating disorder.
    But we know more than anyone how hard maintaining an ED is. We have to focus all our willpower on food and weight, we devote time to exercising obsessively, we fight ourselves everyday to stop behaviors but we also want to keep doing them, we torture ourselves when we purge or go another day with no sustenance. That's a LOT of work. We're just used to it. I feel no doubt that living normally would be a lot easier. If we can get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great point Emily and I do agree
      I think once we reach a point where we are behaviour free then life of course would be easier
      Living this way is exhausting
      Draining
      Soul destroying
      Being eating disorder free would be such a relief
      The freedom would be amazing
      Lets' hope we get there x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving some love x