Wednesday 17 April 2013

Soundtrack to my life

Music has always been a part of my life
It punctuates my memories
Hearing a certain song has the ability to transport me right back to a place somewhere in my past
Music has always been an escape for me
It's been one of the only constants in my life
I remember the first song that caught my attention as a child
It was 'The Frog Song' by Paul Mc Cartney
Still to this day is a great piece of music
I am the youngest of 4 so when I was young my music tastes were heavily influenced by my older siblings
When most of my friends were listening to boybands, I was listening to The Smiths and Kate Bush
There was a lot of shit going on at home so I think music was a welcome release from all the tension
I remember when I was around 13 my favourite band was REM
I remember listening to their songs, writing out the lyrics and memorising them
Good times




When I went to secondary school I found a new best friend
We were kindred spirits and our lives revolved around music
Nirvana, The Doors, Radiohead, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Cranberries, Red Hot Chilli, Peppers, Aslan
Basically anything angry or maudlin to compliment our angst ridden teenagerdom
The Doors had a special place in my heart
I thought that Jim Morrison was a legend
My boyfriend at the time was also a huge fan
We made each other tapes (remember those?)
We wrote each other love letters using the names Jim and Pamela (after Pamela Courson, Jim Morrison's girlfriend)
We watched The Door's movie over and over
We knew it word for word
It was one of the influences that caused my interests in drugs
It's hard to pick one but I think my favourite Door's song is The Crystal Ship
I remember listening to that song smoking weed and thinking I couldn't be happier



The late 1990's and Brit pop has taken over
Blur and Oasis lead the pack
I was definitely more of a Blur girl
They were the first concert I ever went to
I was starting to go to nightclubs now and started listening to house music
At 15 I took exstacy for the first time
I was a proper little raver
My friends and I sneaked out of our bedrooms to go clubbing
Taking any drug we could get our hands on
I remember my friend's mother came in to the club one night and dragged us home
So embarrassing but all part of growing up




I turn 18 and take heroin for the first time
Again music accompanied this time in my life
I listened to a lot of David Bowie, The Rolling Stones and Thin Lizzy
Maybe I was attracted to these bands because some of the songs are about drugs
To this day these songs stay with me
I remember lying in my bed sick from withdrawal and the only thing that got me through were these songs
My boyfriend at this time played the guitar
He was actually really good
My favourite song that he played was Classical Gas
A stunning piece of music

Summer of 2004 and I'm doing a drug detox in London
I'm staying with cousins and am sleeping on the couch
I rekindled my love of music having abandoned it while using
I spent my nights watching the music channels, drinking vodka and smoking up the chimney
Music again stopped me from losing the plot
At the end of the summer I went to treatment for the first time
I couldn't sleep for the first 2 weeks and so I spent all night listening to music
I quickly ran out of my own music and so I borrowed CD's from other people
I ended up listening to all sorts of music including Ian Brown, Guns n' Roses, Metallica, Evanescence, Elton John (guilty pleaseure), Pink Floyd, The Pixies, Johnny Cash, Groove Armada, Dire Straits, Damein Rice, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, Nick Cave
Anything and everything
Music literally saved my life during this time
Without it I would have surely gone insane during those long and lonely nights




These days music is still very much the backdrop to my life
There is nothing better than finding a new band or a new song and listening to it over and over again
I know I really love a song when I get goosebumps
At the moment I listen to a lot of Lana Del Rey
My favourite song right now is Ride
I just love the video, it's like a mini movie
Also Bat for Lashes
My favourite song of hers is probably Daniel
Haim - who remind me of Fleetwood Mac
Falling is my favourite song of theirs
I don't know if the video is meant to be funny but I think it's hilarious
I recently discovered Charli XCX
Really loving the song You (ha ha ha)
Lianna La Havas
Wildbelle
Ellie Goulding
Rudimental -  the video for Tell me that you want me is so inspirational
I generally don't like mainstream pop music but I do like some hip hop

My favourite song that I relate to my eating disorder is Beauty from pain by superchick
I don't know if it's about anorexia but I can really identify with it



Are you a music fan?
What is the soundtrack to your life?
Who is your guilty pleasure?

27 comments:

  1. hey ruby! nice post, thinking of you anyway.
    well music... a lot of music is consumed and enjoyed rather for its image, its object character, as a means of distinction or escape. all very valid and beautiful reasons!!!

    But - as for me music is something else:

    “If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
    THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
    FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
    WAS MUSIC”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

    or simply:
    "I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to."
    Elvis Presley


    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. just got your email sweets! reply later, and a ps:
    TODAY's favorite tracks:
    Ben Sun - Your Footprints (Tevo Howard Remix)
    Pulp - After You (Soulwax Remix)
    JKRIV & The Disco Machine - Make It Acid (Idjut Boys Mix)
    and for the faint at heart the almost forgotten opera "Andrea Chénier" by Giordano, well that's the soundtrack of TODAY, so far

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely gonna check those out x

      Delete
    2. pulp remix isn't out yet, babe, got it from a friend...

      kisses

      Delete
  3. I love how music is so evocative, how one line in a song can transport you back to a whole other place and time.

    I remember when I was sick, I listened to Gerry Rafferty's 'Baker Street' over and over. There is a line: 'Just one more year and then she'll be happy...' - it felt like that was written for me. I was always telling myself I would be happier when I was thinner, when I'd moved out, when I'd gone back to University...

    I also love Tracy Chapman's 'Fast Car' - such a haunting song about being trapped in a certain kind of life.

    Loved reading this post. Very thought-provoking xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went thru a country phase way back when. One song that sticks with me is Trisha Yearwood's The Song Remembers When.

    'even when the whole world has forgotten, the song remembers when.'

    Music can be good and bad like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to hate country music but I like it now
      And yes I have songs I love like that too x

      Delete
  5. Guns n' Roses, Metallica, Evanescence, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Elton John, Judas Priest, and a lot of others are currently and have pretty much always been the music to my life. I am such a daddy's girl in that sense, because my dad is a Rock fan, and I've kinda grown up into rock/metal. It is and always will be my favorite genre.
    I definitely agree with you that Beauty From Pain by Superchick is the song that reflects my ED.
    I really like your tastes in music. I feel like "Music is my life" or similar statements are so common nowadays, that they don't actually hold meaning. But I guess everyone interprets that in their own way. I appreciate this post. (: Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CJ
      It seems a few people have mentioned Superchick in relation to their ED x

      Delete
  6. Music is the ultimate solution to everything.
    It can heal every wound.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could go on and on about music. I listen to everything. Right now I'm kind of leaning towards just good old rock, like The Black Keys, Band of Skulls, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Jack White, etc. But I love that you love the Doors and Bat for Lashes and Pink Floyd. Do you like Queen and Kansas and Foreigner and Tom Petty and BB King and Elvis? I was raised on a weird mix of music. Nirvana will always be in my heart. I also love techno/dubstep, chill rap like Macklemore and Kid Cudi, post-hardcore like screamo and metalcore. I really like everything. My music tastes are so weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you're a big music fan
      I love Tom Petty and Elvis, my mother is a huge Elvis fan
      It's so hard to fit all the bands I like in to one post but I love all the ones you mentioned x

      Delete
  8. This is a great post. The Doors have a special place in my heart too.
    I don't listen to a lot of music anymore, though I listen to a Mix 80s radio station when I cook.
    When I used to run, that was my time to listen to my favorite music: Bauhaus, My Chemical Romance, The Sisters of Mercy, David Bowie, Marilyn Manson, Deadmau5.
    Most of my favorite music has a special time attached. From high school to my worst points to partying. A lot have bad memories attached, but some good.
    As for an ED song; I don't listen to many that relate to EDs, but I love Courage by Superchick.

    Take care dearest <3 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't listened to The Doors in a long time
      I must do it and I know it would bring back a lot of memories

      Take care of you too x

      Delete
  9. I love music I often tie song lyrics to my posts. Sometimes the songs say what I am saying better, sometimes they just set the mood of the post.

    Recently I have been listening to The Black Keys, Hollywood Undead, 3 Doors Down and Blink 182. My guilty pleasure, I have the song track to musical episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on my player.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of people have mentioned The Black Keys
      Definitely gonna check them out x

      Delete
    2. The Black Keys are seriously the epitome of good, classic, true rock. They're actually from the next town over from where I go to uni, so I have a lot of friends that have seen them and even met them. Also, Johnny Depp preformed with them once. Too cool.

      here's one of their best songs, you might've heard it before.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3scl0fl0zE

      Delete
    3. Definitely gonna check that out, thanks x

      Delete
  10. What a great post!
    It's interesting the ways in which people are musical. I'm a very musical person who plays instruments and makes music. I listen to songs but not bands.
    My boyfriend can't sing to save his life, but he's musical as well, because he cares a lot about what kind of music he listens to. He keeps track of what the bands are doing, shares music with his friends, and memorizes lyrics so he can wail along.
    Music is just so satisfying. There's a song for every single mood, every single emotion. Every single circumstance. I'm glad you love music and that you continue to love music.
    And I like Ellie Goulding's Lights. My cousin thinks it's overplayed but I can't get enough of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to see inside other people's music stories, thanks for sharing yours!!When I was married my husband and I were music freaks. We would watch tv shows and download the saddest soundtracks. We went out to check out live music - accoustic, songwriters - amazing. I miss that shared love we had for anything mournful and emotional. Music could touch us and affect us like no other.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a massive fan of music. I've been in various choirs when I was young, and now I'm in my local Church choir which I absolutely love so much - it's one of the most important things in my recovery. I'm not sure I would be as well as I am now without choir. I can't describe how it makes me feel, but I just feel safe and comforted and like I actually belong somewhere for the first time in my life...does that make sense? Have you ever been in a choir/play any instruments? I play the piano a little, but not very well at all. I've recorded a song I sung in Welsh, I can send you the YouTube link if you want to have a listen?

    XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to play piano when I was a child but not now
      I can't sing a note but I would love to be able to so much
      That's great that singing has helped you so much
      And yes I would love if you sent me the link x

      Delete
  13. Oh yes I remember mixtapes. I still have one from a friend in High School who died in a drug-related car wreck a few years ago. She'll never know it but we're related now. Her cousin is my niece's mother.

    I adore all sorts of music and love nearly all the things you listed, even if I can't listen to them much.

    I'm an old-school rock and metal girl mainly. I basically like everything except RnB and most country. Right now I can't stop listening to Florence and the Machine, Apocalyptica and E.S. Posthumous.

    Love you so so so so so much. I hope you have a good weekend <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x