Friday 5 July 2013

Meal by meal

I saw Mary this morning
She asks how I am
I tell her how tired I am all the time
That I can't get through the day without a couple of naps
How I feel my motivation is in the toilet, literally
That I have no fight left in me
'You know why that is' she says
I do
I do know
I seem to be in denial though
She asks to see my food monitoring records
I reluctantly show them to her
There's nothing of any substance and if there is it is purged
And to be honest my records are not entirely honest
I add in food here and lie about purging there
But even with my censoring, she still thinks it is a huge problem
She brings up inpatient again
She says that if this is not working then we have to try something else
She can't continue to enable me and she feels that is what she would be doing
I tell her that I don't want to go in to treatment
'What are you willing to do to not have to go then?'

I explain how my thinking is skewed
That the sick part of me wants to feel bad and doesn't want to feel good
Feeling good is so alien to me that I don't know how to handle it when I do feel good
Although these days I rarely feel good
Feeling weak and tired is not particularly nice but it is familiar
It's safe
Feeling good or happy is uncharted territory for me
Part of me feels that I don't deserve to be happy
That I should suffer
Why?
I'm not entirely sure
I'm reading a book called The Anorexic Experience
It talks about how people with anorexia often deny themselves what they need
Not just food but other things like taking care of yourself or heat or fun
At first I couldn't relate to this at all but then I got thinking
I often deliberately keep myself cold
Like if I am the only person in the house, I won't turn on the heat because it's only me and I don't deserve to be warm
Can any of you relate to that?
I don't do nice things for myself for the same reason
It's as if I am not good enough for these basic human rights

I have another appointment with Mary next Tuesday and she said that if things haven't started to move in the right direction she will have to consider other options
So she asked me to make 3 goals that are manageable by Tuesday
So my goals are -

1. - Not to purge
2. - Eat 3 small meals everyday
3. - Keep proper monitoring records

Sounds simple enough doesn't it?
But I would rather climb Mount Everest in a bikini and I would probably have more success
I really don't want to have to go to treatment though and that is motivation to at least try

I explain to Mary how I think that I'm not that bad
That I've been in worse states than this before
However I also thought this when I was addicted to heroin
I thought there were people in worse positions than mine
But I guess it's all relative
Yes, I am not at my lowest ever weight but as I truly believe that weight is not an indicator of how sick we are
It's hard though not to slip in to the way of thinking that it is
And I have to remember that this is not my first rodeo
This has been going on for well over a decade
I am a few years older than a lot of you and I have to remember that
I don't have the luxury of time
I remember my birthday last year
 Suddenly I panicked at the thought of losing another 10 years to this illness
I rang a treatment centre and was motivated to change
I don't quite know what happened but I fell in to a rut and am still there
Years of abusing myself is starting to catch up on me
My body is hurting
It's tired and drained and cold and frail
When I came out of the session I poke to my mother
I said to her what I said to Mary, that I'm not that bad
'Ruby you are '  she said 'You look sick'
She said that yes, I have been a lower weight but now I am so entrenched in these behaviours that it seems I am getting worse
I'm not getting any better that's for sure

Yesterday my mother and I went to visit my neighbour in hospital
She is in her sixties and up until very recently was in good health
But she has gone down hill rapidly and having avoided going to the doctor for a long time, she is now in a bad way in hospital
I panicked a little bit when I realised that she was in the same ward  that I was in back in March
When I saw her I got such a shock
She was lying in bed and she looked like she had aged 10 years
This was a woman who was full of life
A true Dub (person from Dublin) with a great sense of humour
She always said exactly what she thought and I guess you would consider her a bit fiery
Fiercely independent
But I loved that about her
She seemed to recognize us but she was making very little sense
As we held her hands she she started to cry
It was heart breaking
I came out of there feeling quite upset
It suddenly hit me that that will be all of us someday
We're all going to get old and die and it will come sooner than we think
It made me think about how life is not a dress rehearsal
We don't get a second chance to do things properly
It made me think how much I am missing while in this state
I've already lost so much
My independence
My friends
Job
Education
Peace of mind
Sanity
Happiness
Health
Do I really want to lose any more?
Possibly my life?

A good friend once said to me that it's not a choice between recovery and my ED, it's a choice between life and death
I think this is so true
Living with an ED is choosing death
It's choosing not to live
For me it is anyway
My mother asked me today was I afraid when I was admitted to hospital in March with pancreatitis
The  truth is I wasn't
I wasn't afraid of death
I was more afraid of life
I'm 'living' in a bubble at the moment
Nothing comes in and nothing goes out
Everyday is the same
I get through the day only to start again the next day
I get through the week only to start a new one
Nothing happens
Nothing changes
It's like ground hog day
The same day over and over again
I'm so very tired of it
So bored of it
My ED  has become monotonous and boring
I'm over it

I remember when I gave up drugs I was motivated
I had sunk so low that I couldn't go any lower
I had a fire inside me that motivated me
And when I'm determined to do something there is no stopping me
Drugs are similar to EDs but the do differ a bit
With drugs I could walk away from my old life
From old friends
From my town
From the drugs
I moved across the country and started over
With an  ED it's not that simple
I can't cut food out of my life
Well I could but that would defeat the purpose
I have to learn to deal with food and that is the hard part

I know that if I put in half the energy in to recovery that I do in to my ED, then I would be well on my way
I guess it boils down to how much do I want this
I am in two minds and I can't seem to make a decision and stick to eat
I want to want to get well if that makes sense

So I'm going to try
I'm going to fight
Even if my only motivation is to stay out out of hospital
That's ok
Whatever helps
I'll have to take it day by day
Meal by meal
This shit has to stop
And it stops today


14 comments:

  1. My therapist asked me if binging and purging was somewhat habit for me. Of course it was. Is it the same way for you? If so, changing the scenery might do a lot to help. I do much better when I'm around others or at work than when I'm at home where the habits started.
    What are you willing to do not to go to inpatient? Maybe it would be good to have a list to set your limits or to see just how far you will go.
    You can do it Ruby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is definitely a habit for me Emily
    A habit that has been going on for years
    They say it takes 21 days to make or break a habit but I have never got beyond a couple of days
    I know that if I could just get started then that would be half the battle
    A good start is half the work

    Thanks Emily x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found that this is what it has become for me. My entire college years were spent, like my childhood, in turmoil. All I know is a form of discomfort and I can't stand being healthy because I don't know how to live that way. With breaking up with Tony, I've found a sense of power in that I can remove the things I hold on to that are negative. I can be strong. It's taken years for me to learn this. I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that little by little, I'm not going to be disordered. This has been a process in the works for over a year though. Once you start and make progress, little by little you come to understand what you missed and you come to understand that there are beautiful things in life you didn't feel and see and you wished it had been sooner that you opened your heart and eyes.
    Much love Ruby. You can do this. I'm behind you all the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eve
      I think I'm just so used to feeling like shit that anything else feels so unfamiliar
      I laughed this week for the first time in so long and it felt good but then I immediately felt guilty
      It's hard to make sense of this

      Hope you're doing ok x

      Delete
  4. I have a suggestion. Each time you eat, each time you purge, just, whatever you do, write it on here. You don't have to post it, it can be as a draft. Or if you do post it, that's up to you. I find that writing it down on paper, it's so easy to lie and not put things, or scribble it out. But when I used to post my intake on my blog, it was an objective thing. Now I know some people do this to display "Oh look how much I DIDN'T eat today, hooray!", but sometimes it can just be an objective way to record it. Or maybe take a picture of it, on your phone? Another thing that helps me with is that if it looks good and presentable, I'll enjoy eating it more. So, instead of just throwing toast on a plate, maybe cut it diagonally, on a pretty plate, be artistic about it. I don't know, it's just something that works for me. I hope you can make it to Tuesday, I have faith in you. Love you hon, stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea sweetie, I'll definitely think about doing that
      Being accountable does help
      I'm trying to psych myself up to get motivated
      Avoiding hospital is a big one for me
      I just don't want to go
      I will be taking baby steps, one meal at a time

      Love you too, thanks for your continued support x

      Delete
  5. Ah thank you Anna for such kind words

    Yes, that's exactly what I'm so tired of, the never ending tug of war in my mind
    Will I eat?
    Should I eat?
    What will I eat?
    And then the inevitable purging
    I just want to have a normal relationship with food
    Gaining weight is a huge fear but it's one that I have to overcome

    Thank you for having faith in me, I have faith in you too, so much
    I'm always here and I'm glad that you are there too x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad to see you're feeling motivated!

    It seems there's a few of us being given the treatment ultimatum at the moment. And I know none of us want to go. Your goals are anything but simple, but it's what needs to be done. Until you find motivation in something else, it's okay to lean on avoiding hospital as the main reason.

    I can definitely relate to the self-denial you spoke of. I'll stay outside overnight because I don't deserve to go in. I'll sit in cold hard chairs because I don't deserve softness and warmth. When I'm down I'll refuse anything to give me comfort, physical or mental. Like you said, I feel I'm not good enough for these basic rights.

    Do you still drink the Ensures? They could be a good backup for the 'three meals' goal.

    One day at a time, one meal at a time, one moment at a time.

    Love you dear *hugs*
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, that's true Bella, treatment is in the air
    I think that you're right, whatever motivates us is enough even if it is staying out of hospital

    I remember reading that you sit outside sometimes overnight
    I honestly thought that I didn't do that but thinking about it I do
    I generally keep myself cold and sometimes go walking in the rain
    It's so sad that we deny ourselves what others would consider necessity
    We deserve more than that

    No I haven't been drinking the Ensures but I'm at the point now where I think I have to

    Yes, that is my mantra at the moment

    Love you too dearest, hope you're ok x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ruby, take it one meal at a time as you stated... that is the way I take my life now... I have been walking and eating healthy for 21 days and I am 28 days with the other things... I feel great...

    I am so in the zone and determined, I never thought I would ever get to this point, I hope you can get to this point too, I think you are one amazing young woman...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Launna,

    I'm delighted for you that things are looking up for you
    I think that just as things can go downhill quickly, they can also turn around just as quick

    I hope I can get there too x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Denial is deadly.

    I do that too. Living by myself I was always cold. I deprive myself of water and sleep. Kinda backfires with unwanted insomnia and retaining water when I drink though :/

    For someone as stuck in behaviours as you are I'd probably aim for honest records, less purging and one nutritionally sound thing. You're so out of practise and your body will be so fucked up anything sudden will blow up in your face. Black and white thinking, all or nothing. Sound familiar? :p

    Every tiny little baby step counts. Keep shuffling one toe out in front of another, look back in year and you'll be surprised at how far you can go.

    Love you so much Ruby. I want to be able to come visit and hang out with YOU instead of making you uncomfortable by interrupting your daily behaviours :(

    Love you so so so much <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. When you can only remember feeling horrible or feeling numb it is hard to recall that there are other feelings. Think back and remember the other emoitions you used to feel. Remind yourself that there is a difference between living your life and just exsisting. You deserve to live.

    ReplyDelete
  12. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpOlIfO2-8Q

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x