Friday 16 May 2014

Dog days

When I first moved to this area 10 years ago I was so excited to move to the country because it meant that I could finally get a dog
My mother wasn't too keen on the idea so I had to talk her in to it
It must have worked because she eventually caved and agreed to get a dog
My sister and nephew and I went to visit the local shelter to have a look
Straight away a beautiful golden coloured dog caught my eye
He really was stunning
Very rangy with long limbs and such a kind face
His name was Marcus and it was love at first sight



Two weeks later and we brought Marcus home to join our little family
I wasn't too keen on the name Marcus so I re-christened him Leo
He was such a lovely dog
Such a placid nature and rarely barked
He settled in to our home and it wasn't long before I decided to get get him some company

We went back to the shelter where I was introduced to Honey
I have to admit at first I wasn't thrilled
I didn't want a little dog
But as I spent more time with Honey her personality won me over
She had originally been with a single parent and she just couldn't manage to have a dog
Very soon Honey was on her way home with me

Honey made herself at home straight away
Within an hour of being there she claimed a chair for herself
Leo was so kind to her
Endlessly patient
Honey followed him around and in the evening they would cuddle up together on the back step




Life was good
I had two wonderful dogs and I felt happy for the first time in years
Then one cold January evening a neighbour called over
He said that Leo had been knocked down and was lying in his front garden
I ran out the door to get to Leo as fast as I could
He was lying so still
He was still breathing but just about
There wasn't a mark on him
I scooped him up and carried him home
All the while telling him that he was going to be ok
My mother and I jumped in to her car and set off for the vet
It seemed to take forever to get there
Now there was blood coming out of his mouth
Eventually we arrived
The vet tried her best to save him but it was too late
He died on her table

I was beside myself
I felt like it was my fault
I should have protected him
I should have been watching him
It was all my fault

Honey was heartbroken
Her big brother was gone
She was so lost
As was I

A ew months past and we felt the time was right to get another dog
Enter Lea, named after Leo


Lea was an incredibly nervous dog when we first got her
The day we brought her home she spent hours hiding in the bushes
It was like she didn't trust us
It took a lot of time and patience but soon she started to become more and more confident
She grew to be a beautiful dog
She grew in to her big paws and really was a gorgeous looking dog
Her nature was quiet and passive
She put up with Honey and her bossy ways
Never got angry
To this day the highlight of her day is going for a walk
I swear you would think we never let her out she gets so excited at the prospect of a walk
The beach is her favourite place
She loves to roll in the sand and swim in the sea



Lea and Honey couldn't be more different
Where Lea is quiet, Honey is loud
Where Lea is gentle, Honey is like a bull in a china shop
Any opportunity Honey gets, she is down in my room rolling on my bed
Lea would never dream of doing this
Lea will obey any command
Honey pretends that she can't hear you and will do her own thing anyway
Honey likes to think that she is the boss
She likes to think that she is tough
But underneath all the bravado she is a big softie

Lea demands a lot of attention
She wants to be rubbed constantly
And if you stop she will paw you until you start again

Honey's favourite place is her bed
It's in an ideal spot
She can see all of the kitchen and also out the back door




Lea's favourite place is the mat in the kitchen


Honestly I would be truly lost without my dogs
They have saved my sanity over and over again
When I can't find a reason to get up in the morning, I get up for them
When I don't want to leave the house, I leave to walk them
They have been by my side for the last 10 years and I wouldn't have it any other way
I really wish I was as great as my dogs think I am



2 comments:

  1. lovely post. so sorry about leo, what a wonderful character. I was never a dog person, raised with a cat. yet when little rosy needed to be homed after 4 previous owners she came to stay with us. she is no trouble at all, funny, insistent, soft, intelligent. right now she is stretched out at the end of the bed snoozing. em x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!
    Pets are an amazing gift
    Hold yours close x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x