Saturday 4 October 2014

Driving Miss Ruby....

I moved to this area when I was about 24
I had always lived in towns or cities
So I never had any reason to learn to drive
How ever now I was living in the country
And if I wanted to get my bony ass anywhere
I really did need to learn to drive
So I rang a driving school
And arranged for the teacher to come and pick me up at my house
I waited in the front garden with Lea and Honey
I was going to leave them in the garden while I went on my lesson
Eventually the teacher came
I closed the gate behind me
And jumped in to his car
He let me in to the drivers seat straight away
Even though I had no experience
But he said that he had pedals his side
So there was no reason to worry
I glanced back in to the garden
I noticed that the dogs were right up against thte gate
But I thought that they would be ok
It wasn't until we were halfway down the road
That I looked in the rear view mirror of the car
And I saw Lea and Honey sprinting down the road after the car
When I saw them
I slammed on the brakes
Nearly sending my driving instructor through the wind screen
The car came to a stop
And Honey and Lea came running up to the car door
I got out and walked them back to the garden
They were not best pleased at being left alone in the garden
So as I tried to leave this time
They decided to have a massive fight
All tangled up in each other
I stayed well back
I know better than to try and stop a dog fight
After a few yelps and my shouting
The finally stopped and lay breathless on the grass
In the end I decided to keep them in the utility room for future lessons

As the weeks went on
And I grew more confident in my driving
My Mother used to let me practice in her car around the garden
One day in particular I was practicing starting the car
It was parked around the back about 10 feet from the shed in front
I was doing ok
Until by accident
I pushed the accelerator instead of the brake
The car jerked forward
And went straight in to the door of the garage
This was a big metal door
I looked up to the kitchen
Where I saw my mother looking at the window
Mouth open
Head on her hands
I put the car in reverse
And scraped out of the door
I got out to see the damage
Thankfully there was little damage to my mother's car
The garage door had bore the brunt of it
However
That was the last time my Mother let me practice in her car

I live in the country
So I had plenty of opportunity to practice my driving on isolated roads
I became more confident
And in time got my own little car
A 99 Fiat Punto
It was amazing to have the freedom to go anywhere
Just me and my dogs
I remember there was a busy junction in one of the villages near me
I used to go and drive in a circle
Through the village
And around the junction
Just to build up my confidence

I was quite confident at driving back then
Probably more confident than I am now
I drove all over the place
And it didn't phase me one bit
That was until I had my first 'crash'
I was pulling out of my friends house
There was a narrow drive way
With pillars each side
I miscalculated how much space I had
And the next thing I heard this crunching of metal
As the pillar scraped along the side of my car
I had to keep going though
Otherwise I would have got stuck
I got out to inspect the damage
The whole left side of my car was destroyed
I remember I had to go home and tell my father
And show him the car
'But it could have been a lot worse' I kept saying to him

That was the first time I did that
The second time was when I was pulling around the back of my house
Again I misjudged the space I had
And again I took the whole side off my car
What a pain in the ass that was to get fixed

Driving has always represented freedom to me
I am now driving 7 years
And although I am not a very confident driver
I get to where I need to go
I love bringing the dogs in the car
Honey sits perched up on the back seat
And Lea lies on the back seat
Every morning I pie them in to my little Yaris
And we head off on an adventure
We always have fun

My Mother is always telling me that I drive to fast
And I do
I guess it's because I know the roads around here so well
They are so twisty and windy
It's like driving on a race track
But I especially drive fast when I am on my own in the car
I'm trying to slow down though
I'm trying to be a responsible human being
I don't have a death wish any more



I was wondering about you
Do you drive?
How was your learning experience?

10 comments:

  1. your dogs are amazingly loving and loyal - and a little crazy! I "learned" to drive when i was 17 and properly learned to drive once i got my license and my first car shortly after. i do not know why they gave me the license after my frist catastrophic driving test and i do not know either how i survived those frist two years and why i did not kill anyone (myself included).
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *first. but i guess you recognize me by my typos alone by now ;)

      Delete
  2. passed on 5th test/ took 6 years but had lots gaps. my instructor had a nervous breakdown so make of that what you will! quite like driving only not backwards,parking or motorways,physically can't drive without music and love it in winter as we no central heating indoors and i have it full blast..do you do motorways ruby?,everyone seems too but I'm scared ill never come off.jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never passed, after, what, five tests? I would be a danger to everyone on the road, so I've given up. The bus is fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I drive, I must, I live in a busy city but everything is separated and far apart, I wouldn't get anywhere without my car.
    It's pretty much required to take drivers training at 16 years old here in the states. I really don't know anyone that wasn't required to.
    I then got my license at 17 and my dad bought me my first car, so I've been driving since I was 17 and I feel very confident with it now.

    My learning experience was fine in school, but when i was driving with my parents, my dad made me drive his huge truck and told me if he felt confident in me driving that huge thing then he would feel confident getting me my own car to drive in on my own.
    Needless to say, I can drive anything after that, hahaha.

    <3
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do drive! Finally, after 8 years of torture..I had the guts to go sit for the test..almost drove the instructor of a cliff but eventually passed.
    I used to depend fully on public transport as i lived in the city.
    Now i have moved to a country side and have no choice but to drive..unless i want to ride a buffalo.
    Your dogs are soooo sweet. Makes me miss my dog. I have a cat now..he only runs after anything if he thinks there is food.
    : )
    Pia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ruby, I found you through Bella's blog and I've been reading for a while. I suck at driving even though I'm on my full licence. I had a car a few years ago, but was never very confident in my driving ability. When I moved to Sydney the traffic was enough for me to sell my car and use public transport instead. I've driven go-karts more recently and even that was a disaster. I know I need to relearn at some point, it's just that it's been so long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started driving at 15 and got my license at 16. It was awesome! I've always loved driving and cannot imagine my life without a car and a license. I've driven across the states many times along and survived years driving in Southern California, Washington DC, Philadelphia, NYC, Chicago and St. Louis. St. Louis is by far my least favorite city to drive in. I have near panic attacks whenever I try.

    I would truly be lost without a car. I currently drive a Toyota Matrix but my last car was a Yaris. They are fun to drive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would've been terrifying to have Honey and Lea chasing the car. It's a worry that you know you speed, but I can't talk, I haven't worn a seatbelt in years.
    I love being a passenger, but the thought of actually driving terrifies me. I passed the theory test and got my learner's permit when I turned 16, but I only tried driving once and barely made it 200 meters. Mum took me. She taught my brother how to drive and they're both excellent drivers. One day I'll get back to it. The freedom and independence would be nice.

    Lots of love <3

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I took AGES to pass my test - It is embarrassing how many times I took it - Anyway I eventually did , then the car I had packed in , it was a cute little banger but had given up. And now despite working - I can't afford a car.
    Gutted , because the £££ i needed for lessons and test would've got me a car ..
    Still - Least I get to have a snooze on the train commute - I couldn't do that driving.

    Rachel M

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x