Monday 3 November 2014

R

As you know by now
Monday is doctor day for me
Being on a methadone programme
I have to see my doctor weekly
I'm also supposed to be drug tested every week
But my doctor rarely does this anymore
As I have been clean for quite a while
I really don't like the drug test
My doctor produces a little plastic cup
With a tester inbuilt in to it
I retreat to the bathroom
And try and aim so I get enough pee in the cup
This is harder than you may think
Then I bring the cup back in
And my doctor reads the test
Obviously
The test should read negative for opiates, benzos and  amphetamines
And positive for methadone
Even though I know that my test is going to be ok
I still get nervous
There is nothing worse than having to walk in to my doctor
And tell him that I've used
I  hate to disappoint him
As he has gone out of his way to help me over the years

Anyway
My appointment was unusually  late this morning
As my doctor seems to be in much demand these days
I walked in to the waiting room
Checked in at reception
And walked over to get a magazine to read while I waited
As I was flicking through them
I heard a deep voice say 'Hello'
I looked up
And saw I man I recognized from the NA meetings I used to go to
He was no someone that I happy to see
This man
Who I will call R
Is a bit of a handful
He can be very intrusive
And once he starts talking
It's very difficult to get a way from
I've been to meeting where he attended
And the whole thing descended in to chaos
I've seem him take off his shoes and socks at meetings
I've seen him really annoy people
I've seen him make a woman cry he was harassing her so much
He just has no concept of boundaries
And says really inappropriate things to every one and everyone

Everyone in the town knows R
And most people try to avoid him
I mean he is harmless
He wouldn't hurt a fly
He is a dyed in the wool hippie type
He once lived in a forest that the government were trying to build a motor way through
He is gentle
But hard to handle

I said hello back to him
And he got up and walked over to me
'Jesus you're looking well' he exclaimed
'You've put on weight'
I said nothing
'You looked like you were one of those anorexics or bulimics'
I just stood there open mouthed
Aware that the whole room could hear him and heads were turning
'Are you one of those people that thinks they're fat?' he asked
I didn't know what to say
He just kept talking
'Do you look in the mirror and think you are fat?
He had absolutely no comprehension that what he was saying was totally and utterly inappropriate
And I was becoming increasingly uncomfortable
'I have to go' I said
And walked over to the other room
I saw him leave
And I breathed a sigh of relief

I settled myself in my seat and read my magazine
A few minutes later
He came back in to the waiting room
I kept my head down
And prayed he wouldn't come over to me
Out of the corner of my eye
I saw him sit beside a man
And started talking to him
But then the man was called in
So I immediately got up and went to the little waiting room beside my doctor's room
I saw R leave the surgery again

My doctor called me in
I explained why I wasn't in the usual waiting room
'I was trying to escape from R' I said
'Oh R' he said
He knew who I was talking about straight away
I told my doctor what he said to me
He agreed that it was totally inappropriate
And crossed so many boundaries
Thankfully I was able to laugh about it
And even though it was uncomfortable
It didn't upset me

However
It does raise the issue about commenting on people's weight
I make it a point never to comment someone's weight
You just don't know how they are going to take it
I know that I have stored every comment that was ever made about my weight in the  back of my head under the file 'Self hatred'
I get that people want to acknowledge that I am in a better place
And that I look better
But don't go for the jugular and tell me that I've gained weight
I know that already
I live in my body every day
Do you really think I hadn't noticed?
So please general public
Avoid the weight comments
Tell me my hair is nice
Tell my my clothes are pretty
That my eyes look bright
But please don't address the size of my body
It has nothing to do with anything

I was wondering about you
How do you take weight comments?
Are you yay or nay when it comes to those comments?
Does it bother you when someone comments on your weight?

11 comments:

  1. Weight or body comments send me spiralling. I've never been overly thin, even at my 'worst' I was still in a healthy weight range. I am naturally very broad shouldered and tall. I remember every comment that has been made over the years. Close family and friends somehow think it's ok to say weight comments to me and because I'm such a people pleaser I take it. Like you I put it under a 'self hatred' file in my brain.

    I've been told endless times that I have a swimmer's upper body, football legs, that I would never be skinny and that I'm stocky or thick boned. My ex boyfriend used to put me down by comparing my frame all the time to my very slender and petite friends. Even doctors have given me inappropriate comments when I've put on weight. There's nothing I can do about it, but each comment is like a fresh wound.

    I think it's amazing that you handled so well such insensitive comments in a public place. I hope you're proud of yourself. You've come a heck of a long way Ruby and you're an incredible inspiration. (I really mean that!) Much love x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that I have a swimmers upper body too Destiny
      But I don't have the long lean legs of a swimmer
      People can be so God damned ignorant
      Why is it good to lose weight?
      And bad to gain weight?
      We seem to be hyper aware of our bodies
      And it shouldn't have to be that way

      I think you are beautiful Destiny
      And I mean you are a beautiful person
      It shines out of you x

      Delete
  2. i can't bear any comment on my appearance let alone weight,you look well sends me into a spiral of despair,however well meant.i think how you handled today shows how far you have come.jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if that had happened 6 months ago
      I probably would have run crying from the room
      But I felt able to let it go today
      I know that man isn't very well x

      Delete
  3. It's also not my cup of tea.
    I have to use prednison since a while, so I am gaining weight or blowing up or I don't know. And it already makes me insecure, so comments like 'are you getting fat again' of 'maybe you should eat a little less' are not really what I need right now.

    People.........

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so not what you need to hear A
      What gives people the right to comment on someones body?
      It truly baffles me

      I hope you are ok
      I am thinking of you
      And sending you love across the world x

      Delete
  4. It's not really totally relevant or related to you, but once again my brain is failing me and I can't conjure up the right words to say to you other than that you're amazing. But what I did think when reading your post is how screwed up our culture is- how it is a "compliment" to tell someone they look like they have lost weight, how we are somehow meant to be pleased to hear that but displeased to hear the reverse. And how eds feed off that- gaining weight somehow means fat. When it is so not about this at all. Sorry, this is a bit of a ramble and doesn't address what you said at all but I can't think of the right words to say what I want to about your post so am now rambling on even more! I really hope Honey is ok- and whatever happens, she is having the bestest of times right now with her mummy who is the most alive she's been in a long time cxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks C
      I know what you mean
      And thank you

      I know right?
      Lose weight = good
      Gain weight = bad
      That is so messed up
      Our body is just a shell that houses the real person
      It's no more than that

      I am praying my heart out for Honey to pull through
      She is going to the vet again on Wednesday
      So hopefully we will know more than

      Much love to you C
      Keep hanging in there x

      Delete
  5. Ps alive does NOT mean fat or anything weight related...it simply means alive, with life, sparkling from the inside cxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find weight comments very hard to take and VERY triggering it unfortunately usually ends up in a full blown relapse but I blame no one for that but myself it's up to me how I take the comments

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whether it's relating to loss or gain, weight comments send me crumbling. There's always a way for ED head to twist it for the worst. It doesn't bother me quite as much here in the online ED community, if someone makes a comment on how I look after posting a picture, I can deal with that. But if someone comments about my weight or body in another situation, I can't cope.

    I don't comment on other's weights, except for certain situations on here when it's appropriate. I'm weight-blind so it's not like I'm much help anyway.

    I'm sorry you had that confrontation with R. I can't imagine how uncomfortable you must've felt. I'm glad you were able to remove yourself from the situation and even laugh about it in the end. You're one tough cookie, even if some crumbs fall off here and there.

    <3
    xxBella

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x