Wednesday 21 January 2015

The scales

As you know
I smashed my scales last week
So my house is now a scale free zone
And what what a revelation that is
Over Christmas
I was weighing every day
At least once a day
And carefully recorded the number in my notebook
It's addictive
That feeling of standing on the scale
And seeing how much you're  worth
Is so addictive
But it is a game of numerical roulette
The number goes up and I spiral in to a black hole of depression
The number goes down and I sky rocket in to euphoria
I was literally measuring my worth in pounds and ounces
That number dictated my mood for the day
My self esteem
And my self worth
All dictated by those little red numbers

I didn't miss my scale at first
But a few days in
And I was dying to know
I even thought about buying  new scale
But I decided not too
No good can come of it
I am going by clothes
And they fit me just fine
So I'm ok with that

My body image is a bit all over the place at the moment
Sometimes I look in the mirror 
And I want to cry
Sometimes I think I look ok
Sometimes I think I look something approaching good
It changes from day to day
Minute to minute
And is subject to change at the drop of a hat

But you know what?
Not weighing myself every day is something of s revelation
When I threw my first scales in to the lake
I knew there was another one in the house 
So I knew I could still find out my weight if I wanted to
But this time
Well now my house is scale free
I have to tell you
It is so liberating
Apart from the odd time when I get an urge to weigh
I feel positively free
Like a heavy weight has been lifted off my  shoulders
Literally
The scale was my best friend
And my worst enemy
Depending on the number I was
I'd get up in the morning
Go to the bathroom
Then strip
And stand tentatively on the scale
Holding my breath as if the air in my lungs would effect the number
Before I stood on the scale
I would have a number in my head
A safe number
Anything under that number would be gone
But anything more
And the shit would really hit the fan

So now I have no earthly clue what my weight is
And I don't think I want to know
All I know is that I feel ok in my skin
Not fantastic
But not unbearable either
I can tolerate myself 
Most of the time 
My clothes fit fine
And are even a bit loose
So I feel safe in the knowledge that my weight is settling down
And is becoming stable
Thank you Jesus
My weight is stabilising 

I feel like I am getting back to myself
After a rocky Christmas
Getting my meds daily has really helped
As I have no opportunity to misuse them
I feel clear headed
Capable and strong
And generally in better form
Now I just need to stay on track
Head down
Bum up 
And keep on going 

6 comments:

  1. My dietician used to take people's scales and keep them in the trunk of her car. It helped so much, since sometimes it's tough to get rid of your scale yourself. I still don't know my weight, and I've been "recovered" for 7 years. It's a huge relief, to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know, I'm a big fan of being scale-free. My ED mightn't like it, but overall I'm much more stable without the scales. We still have them in the house (I don't think I could ever trust another scale) but honestly I'm pretty sure mum's forgotten where she hid them, again. I never thought going by how clothes fit made sense, but hey, it does work. The closest I get is the Wii fit scale, because I know it's not accurate but it fills the need. It's been at least two years since I've stripped down and stepped on the bathroom scale on a daily basis without missing a day, so as long as I'm not there, I think I'm doing okay scale-wise.

    The dietician says she expects me to one day get on the scales and look at the number, but I never ever want to know what I weigh clothed and with coffee in me on her scales. I know if I've gained or lost each week, and she tells me if it starts to form a pattern, and that's enough.

    Keep taking care of yourself Ruby. You're worth it <3
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I know that dance so well. For years my self-worth was dictated by the number on the scale. And I don't think I will ever quite get over that crazy logic. A scale is not a safe thing for me to have, it just torments me. I'm so glad you are now in a scale-free zone! I think it's so necessary to recovery. Keeping a scale around is like keeping drug paraphernalia if you are clean. Good work my friend.
    Xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're strong and you can do this. and I honestly think that the biggest part of recovery is not only accepting the weight change but the implications of what the weight change brings. sometimes, taking things one step at a time - it changes you. I hope that you're able to see those changes soon, Ruby. it takes some time. it takes forever, and every small part of recovery happens whether you know it or not.

    I honestly think some people are able to recover fully. I think others just have some habits - habits that don't ruin their lives at all, but they become quirks about themselves. things that make them stop from living their life.

    hey, I love you, sweetie. x

    -Sam Lupin

    ReplyDelete
  5. also I just have to say I have never ever paid attention to your weight or anything (and as I go through recovery, it's becoming easier not to notice it on other people too but you are one of the first). I know a lot of people don't. I only feel myself sink when I hear you've been feeding ED. it doesn't matter to me at all what the number on the scale says. I just want you to be free of the curse. I want you to live.

    -Sam Lupin

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's amazing how attached you can become to a set of scales, but it's also pretty amazing how much easier it gets after a short time. You can survive without knowing that number. Your weight only has an effect on your day to day life if you let it. Why torture yourself? x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x