Saturday 21 March 2015

90 Days

When someone comes out of treatment
Or is just starting to recover
It is often suggested that the person do 90 meeting in 90 days
At least one meeting a day
To get a good start
A solid foundation on which to build on
To get used to meetings
To get some discipline back in their life
Correct me if I am wrong
But I think this tradition started in the US
When someone was in court for offences relating to alcohol abuse
Instead of sending the person to jail
They were told to do 90 meetings in 90 days
AA then borrowed this idea

So I am thinking of doing this
Of really giving it a shot
Throwing myself in to meetings
It can only be a good thing
I was going to start on Monday
But my friend texted me to ask if I wanted to go to a meeting today
So am going to start today
I have worked it out
And there is a meeting within 30 minutes of my house every day
So it really is possible
If I put my mind to it
My heart and soul in to it
I have nothing to lose
And every thing to gain

It's two weeks now since I last used
I've finally wrapped my head about the fact that I can't use
Anything
It's all or nothing
Sobriety or oblivion
I think I am doing ok considering where I was this time two weeks ago
I am doing my best to live in reality
And not try to run away from myself and my life
I talked it over with my sister about doing the 90 meetings
I think it would be a good challenge for me
Something to focus on
A reason to get up in the morning
A purpose
I'm always complaining that I am bored
This would give me something to do every day
The more I think about it
The more I like the idea

I expressed concern to my sister that I might not complete the 90 days
But she made the point there is nothing wrong with trying
She is dead right
All I can do is my best
So I am going to try
I'm doing this for me
For my recovery
My sanity
My peace of mind
And of course everyone around me will benefit too

I know some of you out there go to meetings
Has anyone ever done 90 meetings in 90 days?

2 comments:

  1. I think you should go for it. Perhaps make yourself and chart too, cross off all the days in progress so you can see what you have achieved. On the weary days, give yourself the grace to push yourself a little and go, look at the chart and see what you have achieved so far.

    I think also with EDs impulsivity is such a problem with recovery, what you did the other day with putting off buying the dress for a few days could be the start of learning delaying your impulsive decisions. I know when I was in the midst, nothing would of stopped me doing what I wanted. I never thought that I could discontinue that behaviour. Extremely slowly, I did things in a different manner. No matter how many times someone told me I couldn't do something would it stop me. What I found did help was saying that I could have the item in a while, hours/days etc, however I told myself that I could ultimately have what I wanted now, yet I choose not to. Took me a while, yet slowly but surely I got there.

    Hope I have made sense. Take care, em. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make perfect sense Em
      I know exactly what you are saying
      I love the idea of a chart
      I have a calendar in my room that is perfect for this

      I'm slowly building strength
      And making changes
      I just have this feeling that I'm on the right path doing these 90 meetings
      It feels so right

      Thank you for your thoughtful words
      Your comment just solidified what I am doing

      Take care x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving some love x