Sunday 22 March 2015

Day 2

So it's Day 2
And I still feel excited about the 90 day challenge 
I woke early
Determined again to stay busy again so the committee it my head wouldn't talk me out of going
Physically I'm not feeling great
As I have my period
I had to drag my weary body out of bed this morning
But I'm so glad I did

I had to leave my sister at the bus stop
As she is going away for a few days
Then walked Honey and Lea
Came home
Quick cuppa
Got changed
And set off to collect Marie
We arrived at the venue
I had butterflies in my tummy
I hadn't been to this meeting in years
And was nervous to say the least

We went in and took our seats
I watched the people coming in
Some I recognised 
Some I didn't 
I had already decided that I wasn't going to speak
I just didn't have the courage or confidence
For those of you that don't know
It goes like this
Someone opens the meeting
And reads the preamble 
And the steps
Then someone else does 'The top table'
Which means they share their story of addiction and recovery
It's always great to listen to these speakers
It was just what I needed to hear today

One by one
Everyone spoke
Until it was just me left 
I was so nervous
But somehow I got the words out

My name is Ruby 
And I'm an addict

I haven't said those words in such a long time
But they are so true
I am an addict
A recovering addict
I spoke briefly about how I had just returned to meetings after a relapse
And that I was very grateful to have made it back in to the rooms
Relatively unscathed
When I had finished speaking
The woman next to me 
Reached over and took my hand
I was really touched

All in all
The meeting lasted two hours
Which is unusually long
But it did the trick
As it always does
And reminded me why I need the rooms
And the people in them

Tomorrow will be my first evening meeting
Which will be harder to get to I think
As I will have all day to deal with my crazy head
And the argument back and forth of whether I should or shouldn't go
But
I'll deal with that tomorrow
For now
I'm going for another walk in the sunshine
And enjoy the rest of my day
Below is my calendar for keeping track of my days
A doggy one of course

2 down
88 to go




11 comments:

  1. closure is clarity.
    I am with you, in everything!
    I'd like to face me as beautifully as you do, someday.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a lovely thing to say
      Thank you

      Take care of you too x

      Delete
  2. You're so very brave Ruby! Proud of you for doing this :)

    Love,
    Christie

    ReplyDelete
  3. so good you went again please go tomm you will be so pleased you did,one day at a time, for everything pls go, jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I anticipate that tomorrow will be a tough day
      But I am determined to get to that meeting
      I so want to complete this challenge x

      Delete
  4. I'm so proud of you Ruby!!!! I did 90 in 90 when I was first in recovery and though it was really hard I'm so glad I did it. Dragging my ass there some days was the last thing I wanted to do but I knew I needed to...
    Anyway good for you, it really sounds like you are committing yourself to recovery. I wish you all the very best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you did it?
      That's awesome
      I'm so glad it helped kick start your recovery
      I really hope I can do it...... X

      Delete
  5. Ps: that's so creepy and terrifying about seeing the picture of yourself. I'm so sorry that happened to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so spooky Sarah
      But then it wasn't there when I checked today thankfully x

      Delete
  6. i'm proud of you. so fucking proud of you.

    you deserve to be better. you deserve a life beyond this. you really do.


    -Sam Lupin

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x