Friday 13 March 2015

Teething issues

As you know
I'm in the process of getting new teeth
Last August I had temporary crowns put in
They were replaced in December
And I'm now waiting to get permanent ones
I had an appointment this morning to take impressions of my teeth
My dentist is so funny
He's always telling me how great it is that I'm getting new teeth
And how he's getting 'great satisfaction' out of my case
It was a marathon session this morning
Almost three hours
First I had surface anisthetic applied to my gums
Then came the huge needle
I hate that part
It stings like nobodies business
There was lots of horrible noises 
And a lot of pulling and pushin and scraping
The noise alone was enough to make me want to run screaming from the room
He then took out my crowns
Which went flying across the room at speed
Next he took impressions of my teeth
It's a scary sight to see myself without the crowns
All that is left of my real teeth are little stumps
Pointy shards of rotting tooth
Next he put the crowns back in
Which took some time
I was so glad when he finally announced that we were finished 
I couldn't take much more

I've had an awful lot of trouble with my teeth over the years
A combination of smoking thirty a day
A drug addiction
Daily rinses of stomach acid
And ten years of methadone have really taken a toll on my poor teeth
I've had so many extractions
That all that's left in the back of my mouth is gum
Given all my teeth have been through
I'm lucky to have any left standing all
So I'm back in a couple of weeks for my final appointment
I'm dreading it already
But it's worth it to have nice white and straight teeth
My dentist is an artist I think

They say in recovery that you should do it for yourself
Get well for yourself
Get clean and sober for yourself
And if you can't do that
Fake it until you make it
When ever I have tried recovery
It's always been to appease others
And maybe that's enough to get clean
But not to stay clean
Which I am learning for myself
So this week
I decided to do a few things to help myself
I went to see my addiction counsellor
I had reflexology done
I went to a meeting yesterday 
And got my teeth done today
And I did all these things for my well being
I did them for my own peace of mind
My own self worth
And it felt good

So yes 
I went to a meting yesterday 
I was glad to see that the creepy man wasn't there
 I was asked to do a reading at the start of the meeting
For some reason this caused me huge anxiety
And at one point I didn't think I could do it 
But I took some deep breathes
Grounded myself
And I was able to continue

The meeting itself was great 
Listening to the readings
And listening to others share
Made me realise that I was in the right place
That I am an addict 
And I need a programme to get well
I'm not sure why 
 But I always fight with myself over going to meetings
A big part of me doesn't want to go
And resents going
But yet when I am there
I have no doubt that I am in the right place
And am around others who are just like me

After the meeting I felt like my battery was charged
Like my fuel tank was full again
And I felt able to go out and face the day
So often I am going around with an empty fuel tank
Running off of fumes
With no energy
Going to a meeting is like a shot of adrenaline in the arm
And it was much needed

My mother and my sister can't in to the living room yesterday
And told me they needed to speak to me
I immediately became anxious
As I had no idea what this was about
It turns out
That my sister is bringing my mother away for a few days to Prague
From Saturday to Thursday
Although my dad will come down for a couple of those days
I'm really glad they are going away
God knows my mother needs a treat
They made it clear that they are trusting me with the house
And if I mess up
There will be consequences
I am determined not to mess this up
I will stick with my clean friends
Go to a meeting or two
And generally keep my head down and out of trouble
This is my chance to prove that I can be trusted

That's all the news from here today
See you on the next post x

13 comments:

  1. I am SO SO proud of you!! *lots of love* text me! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. so well done ruby sounds like you getting back on top of things,don't forget always here if you need chat though know lots people supporting you..keep going you will win.. jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying Jo
      Baby steps all the way
      And thank you
      That means a lot x

      Delete
  3. my teeth are wrecked but can't get them fixed or any counciling don't qualify work full time but don't earn much,is it different in different areas? J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The work I am getting done costs an obscene amount of money
      Only I have help from my family o wouldn't be able to get then done
      I'm in Ireland
      I have health insurance but it doesn't cover dental work
      Where are you? X

      Delete
    2. You messed it up.You should pay for it. Your parents don't look rich. But you junkies think you are better than other people, right? Destined for greatness? Start with paying your bills. How great would that be?

      Delete
    3. First of all you say my parents don't look rich?
      Excuse me but when have you 'anonymous' ever seen my family
      You don't know me
      You don't know how my bills are paid
      And who are you to judge me anyway?
      What makes you judge, jury and executioner
      And if you had any balls you would write these comments under your real name
      So come on 'anonymous'
      I dare you to reveal yourself.....

      Delete
  4. I'm so happy for you Ruby. For going to the meeting, getting new teeth... exciting stuff! I'm sure you'll be fine on the days home alone. Keep hanging in there <3
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Bells
    I'm getting there
    Slowly but surely x

    ReplyDelete
  6. i speak from experience yes it is luck where you are,keep asking though its amazing what changes if you pester! good luck..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. although would say patience, my daughter has waited 3 years for crown with toothache bless her because she wanted white one after dental cock up,but we can't afford it,£300..look after those lovely new teeth ruby xx

      Delete
  7. I have not had much to say lately. My words feel empty and my thoughts inadequate. But I will never believe you are a bad person. I believe you deserve health and happiness, and are capable of managing your illnesses and addictions. I believe that you needed a radical change after you started using with the boy, and you are definitely taking steps toward that. You are at the point where holding onto that relationship no longer has any illusion of innocence... Holding onto him or the possibility of him (including continuing to let him contact you in any way) would be to keep one foot in addiction. His presence has proven toxic, and there is no room for that in your life.

    I hope you are as well as you can be, and that you have many things to make you smile and show off those gorgeous pearly whites.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x