Thursday 24 September 2015

Eat, drink and be merry...

Our holiday thus far
Has been interesting to say the least 
Today we went to the spice market
An amazing warren of different streets and alleys
Selling everything you can think 
It was really an onslaught of the sense 
The smell of the spices
The colours
The noise of people and music
The sheer hustle and bustle was enormous 
To get to the spice market
We walked over  the Galatar bridge 
There were fisher men all standing in a row with their rods
I was attracted to one 
Who had live fish in a bucket of water
Of course neither of us spoke one another's language
But from his body language
I'm guessing he wanted me to try fishing
I shook my head no
But asked if I could throw the live fish back in to the river 
He laughed
And told his friend 
His friend called me over 
He pointed at his bucket 
Which had a few small fish
And one big one 
Before I knew what was happening 
He picked up the big fish and handed it to me
I didn't know what to do
So I just grabbed it 
And threw it over the bridge
And it landed in the water with a plop
The fisherman and my family thought this was hilarious

Next we soaked up the atmosphere outside the market
And headed for one of the many mosques 
The photos below with the scarves 
Are us going inside
They ask you to cover your shoulders, head and legs
It was really beautiful there

After that 
I wanted to but my Dad a wallet 
And my sister and Mum also wanted to buy one
We approached one man selling them
He showed us a huge variety of wallets 
And told us he would give us a discount for three
We tried to haggle
But he was having none of it
Oh well 
At least we tried 

We then went for a drink of lemonade at a little cafe
Mum wanted a piece of fruit
And asked for a banana 
The man didn't know what she as saying 
And called another man over 
Next thing there were about five men all around her
Trying to figure out what she meant
Eventually Mum got through to them 
Then we saw one of the men going to the market to buy a bunch of bananas
He came back 
And presented Mum with her banana very proudly
We were all in stitches by this point

It's great here 
The people are friendly
The food is good 
It is nicely warm 
Not too much so
Now we are heading out for dinner
So I will see you on the next post..

..











5 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous! I've got mad wanderlust and I always have but then when I went to Greece for my art history class a few years ago I couldn't get enough! America is too damn far from all the cool stuff! I love your pictures and your stories! Take me next time? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you r having such a great time! Wish I got on well enough with my folks to go on holiday with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Good on the banana guy :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Great tales!

    Now I really want to go to Turkey.

    You have amazing holidays Ruby. Turkey is amazing.

    Soak it all up dear.

    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x