Tuesday 19 January 2016

ED Update

Things are tough over here in ED central
The purging has well and truly wormed it's way back in to my life
Especially in the evenings
And when I am on my own
In the evenings
My family usually gathers in the living room
I use that opportunity to eat in the kitchen
And purge
When I was first put on Prozac
It really helped with my bingeing
And I managed to reduce my purging to a couple of times a week 
That stayed that way for about a year
But a couple of months ago
My purging gradually started to increase again
Why?
I can't answer that 
I really don't know why 
Now I'm back to purging up to ten times a day
Take yesterday for example 
My mum and sister drove my Auntie B to the airport 
And I was alone at home for a few hours 
I started off with soup
And two slices of bread and butter
Purge 
Then a ham salad 
With lettuce
Spring onion
Potato salad 
And coleslaw 
Purge 
Then I had noodles 
Purge 
Pasta 
Purge 
Tune sandwich 
Purge 
And the day just continued like that 
Literally walking in circles 
From the kitchen to the bathroom
Over and over again 
Like a women possessed 
It's exhausting 
Draining 
Utterly soul destroying 
I hate it 
But I can't stop
I'm stuck in this binge/purge cycle
I'm craving certain foods the way I used to crave heroin
I need to stop though
I can't go on like 
 this 
I can't live like this 
It's going to kill me 
Sooner or later 

If this job does work out 
I need to get myself together 
I'm going to need energy to do the job
So I need to eat properly 
Giving myself enough energy and nourishment to get through the day
And I need to start practising that straight away 
I'm seeing Mary this week
So I will talk it out with her 
And make a plan for the next few months 
Both food wise 
And occupation wise 
The thought of this job is keeping me going at the moment 
But I need to be prepared for the fact that it might not work out
I need to have a plan B
And I guess that will be volunteering 
Either with animals 
Or the elderly 
I would be happy doing either one
I'm trying to stay positive 
But the truth is 
I am afraid I won't get the job 
I think about what they are looking for 
And I'm pretty sure it's not a former drug addict with various mental health issues
But the thing is 
I know I could do a good job 
I know I could thrive and grow and blossom in this position 
I'm a doer 
I like to be busy 
I like to be around people 
And help people 
This job is all of those things 
It's like it was made especially for me 
I just hope I get to make a case for myself at the interview 
I'm not too bad at interviews 
The manger told me that there would be three interviewers
Which sounds a bit daunting 
But I will give it my best shot 
I can do know more 

Weight wise 
I could do with putting on a few pounds 
My BMI is just over 18
And I don't think it suits me
I look better when my my BMI is a around 20
So I will work on it 

Thank you so much  for all your suppor recently 
It means so much to me that you are all behind me 
And encourages me to realise my hopes and dreams 
I just hope that I can do the same for you too
Thank you!! X

16 comments:

  1. Love you, Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that you Jo?
      Love you too x

      Delete
    2. Oh ruby please dont go down this way im aorry i have not been much help lately xx

      Delete
    3. That's ok Jo
      I know you are struggling too
      I just want you to be ok x

      Delete
  2. Is therapy multiple times a week an option for you? Maybe talking to someone in person will help you get a handle on the purging. It will kill you sooner rather than later if it's this bad. I know a girl who had a full blown heart attack at like age 25 and she was purging less than you are now. You only just came out of hospital, your body will be less and less forgiving each time it starts breaking down. <3

    Keeping my fingers crossed you get the job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so scary Mich
      Did she get better after the attack?

      Delete
    2. Sadly, no. It killed her. :(

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with Mich, and obviously that is the first and most important thing. I don't know if I should say this, but ... do you hear in yourself the ED voice even in that last paragraph about wanting to work on putting on weight? It's great to want to put on the weight, but you know it isn't about which weight you think you look best at? It's about where your body is healthy, and that may be 20, 23, 25, or whatever?
    I'm not saying this to get at you, honestly. I know you're really struggling. It's just -- as someone who isn't really struggling any more -- I sometimes wonder when I read these things whether you hear it, and whether it would be helpful to hear it?
    But seriously, well done for how far you have come, and for keeping the weight stable, for getting back with Mary, and for applying for the job. You are doing lots really really well. Very warmest wishes with beating the purging, which is obviously, as Mich says, the top priority at this stage. Love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^I agree, the numbers will only strengthen the ED. I don't know that, at this point, you knowing your weight and BMI will do any good. We love you, we want to help you get through this!! I'm always here if you want to chat as well.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for this anonymous
      I appreciate your honesty
      I went back and read the post
      And to be honest
      I wasn't even aware I had written about looking better
      As of course my health is my priority
      Not what I look like on the outside
      I guess when things are tough
      I bring it back to the simplest of issues
      My weight
      But I think I will go back and change that last paragraph
      As that's not what I wanted to say

      Also
      This is what I call constructive criticism
      And I welcome it as it can be very helpful
      It's not being smart or sarcastic like some have been recently
      I think you told me today what I need to hear
      Not what I want to hear
      And that is refreshing
      Thank you x

      Delete
    3. Can I ask the anonymous above what has helped u the most in getting to the stage where ' you are not struggling"? I have come so far especially during the last year but I still won"t let my weight go above a certain mark and I still have forbidden foods.

      Delete
    4. ... I am really touched that you all replied so sweetly to my comment .... It is the sort of thing one doesn't always say, as sometimes it can do more harm than good. I'm glad it was all right this time! Thank you.
      To the anonymous who asked ... I wish I had a simple, helpful answer. It's really two questions isn't it, one about me and one about you. What helps each of us may be very different, just as the behaviours and the reasons we cling to them may be very different. I don't think my experience of this has ever been simple.
      I let go of forbidden foods right at the beginning; with weight I think there is a psychological as well as a physical difference between not letting it go above a mark well below healthy and not letting it go below something that is less than one's set point, but still in some sense tolerably healthy. But whatever it is that is happening, I know the feeling of having come "so far" and yet not got all the way. I do still struggle a bit with social eating in some circumstances, but not really with the other ED things. I think two things have been crucial in recovery: (1) really wanting to be healthy, and (2) dealing with the things that made me cling to the ED identity. Both of those take time, and other people play an indispensable role: it takes time to become sensitive to what it means to be healthy and to be able to really imagine that, and to imagine it in a way that makes one really truly want it and see the possibilities of life that it holds, such that one is reaching out for a positive (life) not just a negative (no-ED), and it takes other people to make it real, and to make it possible to envisage oneself in that situation, by joining them there; similarly, it takes time to realise what it is that makes one "need" the ED identity, and then find ways of dealing with that in some other way - which for me meant talking to people, people who I was scared to talk to -- for me, I don't think that was a dispensable part of growing beyond the ED traps. Because part of growing beyond it is joining in the rest of society, and that takes trust. And trust takes time, as well as dealing with the things that damaged the trust before.
      But it has never been a simple, predictable process. It's always been a mess, and holding on in the darkest places (prayer helps!), and reaching for the opportunities to move forward when one can glimpse them.
      I don't know if that is relevant at all to you, but love and well done for coming "so far", and very best wishes for the road into the beautiful world of life.

      Delete
    5. Thanks so much anon for taking the time to answer. What u say makes sense and has certainly made me think. It's about taking that final leap and leaving my comfort zone. I want to do it but am really scared. My ultimate goal is to be able to go out for a meal with my family and not have a salad.
      Many thanks to Ruby also for her wonderful blog- such an inspiration to continue the fight. XX

      Delete
  4. Go for the job Ruby, and don't think about them not wanting you because you're struggling. I urge you to watch this - it's about an hour and a half and the results are astonishing. http://www.channel4.com/programmes/worlds-maddest-job-interview

    Louisa xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louisa
      Yes
      The good thing is as far as the employer is concerned I have no history
      I'm a blank piece of paper
      And they don't need to know about my past

      I will have a look at that
      What is it about?

      Hope you are well x

      Delete
  5. It's great, honestly one of the best MH documentaries I've ever seen! It was on about 2 years ago, but it is still on 4od if you search for 'World's Maddest Interview' on the 4od website.

    There are 8 or 9 candidates. Some have have never had a mental health problem, some have, and some know someone who has. They are set to do a series of tasks, to form part of an interview, and are observed by three influential employers from behind a screen during each task. Additionally, there are two leading psychologists who also observe each candidate at each task. The employers know that one of the candidates attempted suicide, one had an eating disorder, one had such chronic anxiety that they didn't leave the house for a year, etc, but they do not know which specific candidates these are. The task of the employers is to choose three candidates, based on their observations during the tasks, which they would hypothetically employ. The results are astounding. In addition, the psychiatrists do not know whether any or all of the candidates have been ill, and it's their job to try and guess which ones have/have had a mental health issue and if so, which one. Honestly, it's a truly brilliant watch, I cannot recommend it enough :)

    Louisa xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x