Monday 13 August 2012

Olympic Hangover!

Has anyone else got caught up in the hype of the Olympics?
I don't usually but this year I most certainly have, maybe because they were held just across the water in London
I watched the visual spectacular that was the closing ceremony last night and wow, what I would've given to have been there
For the most part it was brilliant, Jessie J, Emile Sande, Tinie Tempah, Madness, The Spice Girls and many more. London sure knows how to throw a party
Everyone looked like they were having an absolute ball and a great finish to what were a massively successful Olympics
Although I have to admit there were a couple of cringe worthy moments last night
George Michael, you were great back in the day but please drop the 'drunken uncles dance' not even you can pull that one off
The other thing I really didn't get was the appearance of the 'supermodels' including Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell. Heck if I knew who the rest of them were.
Am I missing something here but what do supermodels (or supernoodles as my sister and I call them) have to do with the Olympic Games
They looked ridiculous strutting up and down and totally out of place

I found the Olympics really inspiring
My favourite events were gymnastics, swimming, diving and boxing
It's amazing how these young men and women have the drive, strength, determination and work ethic to strive for their goal of being the best in their chosen field
For such a small country Ireland did so well and the woman of the moment was no doubt Katie Taylor who won the gold in the womens light weight boxing
Others who did well were Jade Jones, Beth Twaddle and many many more
These are the women we should be looking to as role models
They are shining examples of how it is possibles to reach your dreams
I hope young girls all over the world watched the Games as I did in absolute awe of these amazing women
Why oh why do we so often look to celebrities as role models
I understand looking up to an actor or a musician, someone who as accomplished something but I can't fathom looking up to someone who is famous for being famous
I think fame should be a by product of achieving something and not the only reason someone is known
Why also do we look up to people based on their physical appearance?
How is starving yourself to an unhealthy weight an accomplishment and something to emulate
I have to admit that for a long time I thought the only thing I was good at was losing weigh and considered it my greatest accomplishment
But now I'm slowly starting to see that there is a lot more to Ruby than anorexia/bulimia and drug addiction
When I was a child I was a bit of a high achiever
Not just as school, I also swam competitively and studied ballet and jazz
But I grew tired of being a 'good girl' and when I started secondary school I made new 'cool' friends, took up smoking, then drinking, then drugs
I was more interested in being cool and impressing boys than I was in dancing
All in all I spent over 10 years in a haze of drugs and all the while my eating disorder was silently developing
My one major regret is giving up dancing
But now I think it is way more 'cool' to be good at something, to be passionate about something, to dedicate your life to being better
Out of my group of school friends I was the only one to develop I drug addiction
I have often wondered why this is
True, they dabbled but their lives were not devastated in the way mine was
We were all brought up in the same town, in a similar fashion so why were they able to leave their drug use behind them and I went on to develop a serious heroin problem
I'm sure genetics loaded the gun and maybe up bringing, environment, circumstances and bad luck pulled the trigger
Addiction is rife in my family so maybe it was fate
Looking back on myself as a teenager I can see that I was very immature and probably still am
I thought I knew everything when in fact I knew precious little
I did and said exactly as I please and didn't give a flying fuck what anyone thought of me
I actually would give anything now to not care what people thought of me but back then I didn't care enough
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I so admire these young athletes
To have the presence of my mind and the vision to work so hard for their dreams is truly amazing
I'm sure it's not easy and they have probably sacrificed so much but I'm pretty sure it is worth it
I've been told my whole life that I have 'great potential'
I hate hearing that
What does it mean?
That I could, maybe, possibly do something great
No guarantee
I often wonder that if I could go back in time what would I say or what advice I would give to my teenage self and would I even listen?
I would probably tell myself not to give up dancing, not to give up on my dreams because they are not 'cool'
I would tell myself that I have my whole life to worry about boys and drinking and drugs
That the 'coolest' thing is to be yourself and that I don't need to impress anyone
If I could go back in time would I change anything?
Apart from giving up dancing I don't think I would change too much
Even the nightmare that is addiction and disordered eating
Those experiences have shaped the person I am today
There have been such devastating lows but also incredible highs
I have met the most amazing and incredible people

I was wondering about you
If you could talk to your child or teenage self, what would you say or what advice would you give her?
If you could go back in time would you change anything?

Since I started writing this blog nearly every week a blogger I follow has stopped blogging for various reasons. Some have decided to give recovery a shot and some have simply found that life is more important than being thin
The most recent blogger I follow who has decided to recover is 'Pretty lies and Fake Smiles'
It is bittersweet for me when I see that a blogger is leaving the community
I feel sad because I will miss them but mostly I feel happy because they chosen life
Anorexia/bulimia/Ednos is no way to live although I know not everyone in this community has a diagnosed eating disorder and considers themselves pro-ana
I feel like I am in limbo in more ways than one
I am flirting with recovery but even though I have gained some weight my mind is still so very sick
I'm engaging in therapy but my eating disorder is still ever present
Also in regards to my blog I feel in limbo
I don't consider myself pro-ana but I do read pro-ana blogs
I also read an follow recovery blogs but I commit to neither way of life
It's a strange, wishy washy, no mans land place to be
As I have often said, I want to want to recover
Having my sister home is good for me
She lives life to the full and that rubs off on me
I had such an urge to weigh myself last night
I resisted though
I have 2 pairs of jeans that I call 'my anorexic jeans'
I tried them on last night and although they still fit and I can close them fine, they hang on my hips the way they used to
So I bit the bullet and put them away at the back of my wardrobe and also fished out some jeans in a bigger size that fit me better
This really was a big deal for me

I am going away again tomorrow, to Cork with my sister, my aunt and my mother
So I may not get to blog again for a few days

Hope you are all doing ok and am sending love to each and every one of you










20 comments:

  1. I definitely caught on to Olympic fever.. blew off a phone call from the bf "erm nope, cant talk - watching the closing ceremony -later, bye." lol It was immense, and I am so happy and pleased for all those athletes who have worked so hard and achieved so so much. It goes to show, that anything is possible. Yeh cringe at George Michael.. on earth was he doing there and why?!

    And to answer your question.. I dont think there is anything anyone can really say to themselves or anyone else. Part of life is that we have to make our own "mistakes" and learn from them in order to grow and become the people we are.

    A child will be told to not go near the stove, but may do it anyway and touch the pan whilst its hot and then get burned, but it is only by doing that it truly learns why not to touch the hot pan.. silly analogy but hey.

    So hey, the past may be regrettable but theres nothing we can do about it now, the only thing we can do is learn from our past mishaps and try to ammend what what we can..

    I love you Ruby, you truly are inspiring person, one of those special people that only comes around once a life time with the ability to touch everyone through your words. You are beautiful inside and out and I am so happy to have met you.

    I hope you take care and have a good time in Cork.

    Much love x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rayya,

    That is so true and I am definitely one of those people who has to learn from my mistakes.
    You could tell me something until you're blue in the face but I have to go and find out for myself.

    Awh Rayya thank you for such kind words
    I feel exactly the same way about you and am so glad to have had the pleasure to get to know you, you are truly a special person and you have a special place in my heart

    I intend to have a ball in Cork
    Girls road trip, Woop Woop!!

    Hope you are well my dear,

    Much love right back atcha x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sitting here swallowing 20 senna tablets, I considered asking myself if I would have told my 11 year old self to ask for help, to stop cutting, to warn my 13 yr old self that throwing away that dinner would lead to years of starving... i wouldn't.

    i think thats why i might be like this for my whole life. because the only thing i would have told my teenage self was that i should have always stuck to selfharming legs, because these arm scars are beastly and mean i cant not wear cardigans, which led to me stopping ballet and dance, (now i only dance in my house), and that the first time i thrw up would be the start of a blurred anorexia/ bulimia, rather than pure restriction. that was my big mistake. there was no going back. and i hate senna and vomit.

    i guess when your head has been wanting to vanish for 50% of your life, when ive spent 10 years starving and 12 self harming, what hope is there of being able to see a way out? and i dont want to, who the hell am i without it? i just wish i could stop binging.

    i dont even know why im asking for help. its like i need an audience to vanish. ugh.

    sorry, that became a rant. xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose we could try talking to our teenage selves but would we listen? Maybe not

      I don't want you to vanish Sweet P

      Please hang in there,

      Love you x

      Delete
  4. It's funny that you mention you feel in limbo, because I feel exactly the same way. My blog is neither pro-ana, or recovery really, though I read both types of blogs. I'm not even sure it's an ED blog (it didn't start off as one, I just started mentioning my ED more and more!) I sometimes think about taking a break from it, but I enjoy blogging too much (and reading blogs!)

    As for your question, there are so many things I would like to say to past me, but past me wouldn't take any notice. I've never listened to advice, which has always been my downfall.

    Totally relate to your regrets though. I fucked up two years of college because I was too 'cool' to study.

    I am enjoying the pictures, it's nice to see what you look like! Cool photos!

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Aggy,

      Good to heat from you
      You are right, this limbo is a hard place to be, hopefully we will get the courage to recover properly

      I'm cheering you on

      Love to you x

      Delete
  5. Oh crap... I missed the closing ceremony .. I should be able to find it online (I hope)..

    If I was to tell the my self one thing it would be "things that are happening to you are not right, and it is not your fault".. But ya.. I guess there is no need to think of that.. The past is gone and all we can do now is taking of our self and be the happiest we can be.

    Take care of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kitty,

    Take care of you too x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pffffttt, I'm not leaving you. Its not going to be like I'm going to abandon everyone that's given such great support. No, I'm still going to follow you and comment and live vicariously through your blog. Butyeah I have noticed some blogs disappearing. I just hope they're okay. I've seen a lot of people go away only to come back after a terrible relapse. And no, I don't think I would Go and change anything. Because I think it makes me a stronger person. I know it sounds cliché, but I think its true for me. I'm not sure how I would have done things differently. Love ya hon, I like the photos BTW, nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good, I'm glad you're not going completely and do stay in touch

    Take care of you,

    Love ya too x

    ReplyDelete
  9. By the way, nominated you for an award!

    http://rhinocratic-oaths.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/i-can-haz-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you Aggy, I'm blown away
      I'm away at the moment but I'll get on it as soon as I'm back

      Hope you are well x

      Delete
  10. The Olympics are so thoroughly inspiring the buzz lasts for years. I missed most of this one, though :( WTF were supersticks doing there?? They should have had the fucking athletes parading around!

    I respect and admire people who are good at what they do and have the discipline to excel in their chosen fields. Being famous just for being famous or looking "attractive" is a bloody stupid concept. Where the hell did people come up with it??

    I would tell myself to not listen to people who told me I wasn't good enough to follow my dreams. I'd tell myself to follow my passion and tell those people to go fuck themselves.

    So many people have stopped blogging over the years I've been here. The ones who just stop for no reason are the worst, because you never know if they've just gotten bored of it or have died. I still worry about Minaralou. She was so sick and I still haven't found out if her parents forced her into hospital or if she managed to puke herself to death.

    Limbo is in-between. Crossroads. Place of decision-making. Waiting. I wouldn't call it wishy-washy, because it can be pretty damn intense and frustrating while you work out what you're going to do.

    Brave move! :D You could cut the old jeans up and turn them into a rug-type thing and stomp on them every day? Recycling old clothes into "yarn" strips make really nice squishy rugs. My overweight pants from depressed binge times are becoming padded winter motorbike covers :3

    I have a craft blog where I'm trying to log all my finished projects, but I'm too lazy to post there much. topaztangles.blogspot.com Lol I have to remember to post there more often!

    I hope you have fun in Cork! Was the tree named for the place or the place for the tree? Either way, love you tons and have fun <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Peri,

      I worry about people too, even though I've only been blogging for a short time I feel people on here know more about me than some real people in my life do

      Will catch up on your blog today or tommorow

      Love ya x

      Delete
  11. Hey Ruby,
    even stateside, Olympic fever was everywhere! Especially at the university I attend, apparently we won more medals than any other american uni. I watched a bit of them when I had the time..I've always been inspired by the gymnasts in particular. How they're able to bend and twist and balance the way they can. These olympians, and its the same with dancers, singers, and actors, are all put into these activities as really young children. They've had their whole lives to train and prepare. It is there parents that get them started, and then their perseverance that enables them to become great. I spent many years wishing my parents had put me in dancing classes, or in any sort of class really, so that I might actually have a talent or skill by this age. I know they say its never to late to start anything, but its always better to learn something when you're child because your brain is still developing. anyway, i got side tracked!

    what i really wanted to say comment on was your question, what advice would I give to my younger self. If I could, I would tell my younger self to stop giving so many fucks! I cared so much about what people thought about me that my real self went into hiding for several years. I was a more toned down version of who I was because I was afraid of being rejected and/or ostracized by both my peers and society. Just within the last year or so have I realized that I don't have to conform to what is 'normal' to be liked or accepted. I've started dressing the way I've always wanted to but never had the courage to. I've started being less concerned about others opinions and more concerned with what I really want. It's felt fucking fantastic. I'm still working at letting the real me shine through, but at least I'm not playing pretend anymore.

    You're photos look really nice, especially numbers 2,3, 6, and 8

    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Astoria,

      Good to hear from you and welcome back!

      I would say something similar to my teenage self too
      I've seen your photos and you are beautiful and you definitely dress for yourself and to suit your personality

      Stay well x

      Delete
  12. well done on shifting the jeans. I threw away my skinny jeans....shit name anyway!! Love the pics of you in the flowery dress...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie,

      Yes, I bought a brand new pair of jeans this week, I like to wear them slightly baggy because I hate the material hitting me in certain places

      Much love x

      Delete
  13. Love the photos, you're freaking adorable!

    Bravo on pushing your skinny jeans all the way to the back. You are so brave and you are going to beat this. You're right that you do not want to lose the next decade of your life to a variety of illnesses of which you can take action against.

    My brother studied abroad in Cork, once upon a time! My family went to visit him and traipsed all over the south-western part of Ireland - is that where you live? We stayed in a darling "town" called Leaba Sioda in an old schoolhouse right on the Shannon. Hit the normal sights - cliffs of Moher, the burren (?), Bunreaty castle, Limmerick, etc. Ireland is such a beautiful country full or very friendly people. Anyway, enough about that. Just saying, love your homeland, lady :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey,

      Thank you!
      I live in the north west of Ireland but was in Cork for the week. It's about 5 hours away.
      Yes, the people are so friendly down there and it really is a beautiful place.

      Much love x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving some love x