Wednesday 7 November 2012

Dana: The 8 year old anorexic

I first saw the documentary Dana: The 8 year old anorexic about 4 or 5 years ago
I remember that it affected me massively so I as was apprehensive as to whether to watch it again when I saw it was on last week
I decided to watch it
Dana was a little girl living in the UK
She was just like every other little girl the world over
Except for one thing
At the tender age of 8 she developed anorexia
She described how at first she gave up sweets
Then all junk food
Then meat
Then food altogether
She also exercised to the point of exhaustion
The documentary followed her as she underwent treatment
A 12 week stay at an in patient centre for children with eating disorders called Rhodes Farm
The other girls described the day Dana arrived
'A black car pulled up, 2 people got out and then the screaming began, the new girl is here'
After a bumpy start Dana seemed to settle in very quickly and began to eat straight away
She steadily gained weight
It showed Dana's parents coming to take her out for the day
Part of the deal was that she had to eat a high calorie meal and dessert while out
So determined to pass the test, Dana scraped every last crumb off her plate but when the dessert came she struggled to finish the massive piece of cake and ice cream
I could she that she felt she had to finish every little bit
Her thinking being that if she failed this test, she would have to stay longer in treatment
To my eyes it looked like she was 'eating to get out'
She was questioned as to why she stopped eating but she couldn't really give an answer
The other girls expressed concern  that she was holding all her problems in
That she was putting on a brave face
I would have to agree
Like so many of us, she seemed to be wearing a mask
Pretending that everything is ok when it so obviously isn't
At one point she confessed that she had wanted to die but she didn't say why
Because she was eating and gaining weight, she left Rhodes Farm after 12 weeks
Her mother said she thought Dana was recovered
That this was just a'blip'
I thought this was a bit naive of her to say as this as we can never underestimate the power of this illness
I hope and pray she's right though

Part of me was shocked that Dana developed anorexia so young but part of me wasn't
In this day and age it's near impossible to escape the message that thin equals happiness and success
We see it in magazines, on the tv, on the internet
If Dana was struggling to cope it is easy to see why she turned to food
We are fed the message that losing weigh will solve our problems
Help us become pretty, popular and loved
I think back to my own childhood and I see that at first I turned to food to help me deal with life and as I got older I turned away from it
Too young to take drink or drugs, food is the nearest mood altering chemical to hand
Eating becomes a comfort
Then not eating becomes a comfort

It broke my heart watching this documentary
Dana obviously was in a lot of pain but it was never really explored
To my mind she left Rhodes Farm with the same problems she went in with
The only difference was now she was at a healthy weight
But gaining weight does not mean we are recovered
Yes, it is an essential part of recovery but it is exactly that, part
The real work happens in our minds
Changing our way of thinking
Changing our beliefs about ourselves
Learning to like and accept ourselves no matter what the number on the scale says
You can be a healthy weight but still have a very anorexic way of thinking
As I have often said I was just as sick at my highest weight as I was at my lowest weight

One the girls in the documentary was called Georgie
She was painfully honest
She said she looked at other girls leaving Rhodes Farm and she thought they looked fat
She said she liked her bones
Some of the girls described anorexia like another voice in their heads
One that must be obeyed
This is a great description, anorexia is like another person and I guess the reason why so many of us personify it
I call my anorexic voice anamia, a mixture of anorexia and bulimia

Dana is a young teenager now, maybe 13 0r 14
I wonder how she is today?
I wonder how all the girls from the documentary are?
The reality is that some of them will have recovered, some of them will still be in their illness and some of them will have died
It's a game of Russian roulette
I hope that because they caught Dana's anorexia so early that she will have a better chance of recovery
But it's sad to think of her having to fight this for the rest of her life
I hope and pray it was, as her mother said, a 'blip' but I fear that it could have been the beginning of a life long battle
For anorexia is very powerful
It is literally a fight for your life
And no one can help
Getting well is solely down to the one person who doesn't want to get well
Getting well physically can take months
Getting well emotionally and mentally can take years
Getting over it completely can take a lifetime
And the cruel thing is we never get to enjoy the one thing we crave the most, being thin, because we never believe we are thin enough
And like any addiction, there is always the chance of relapse which can hit you like a punch in the stomach
I don't believe we ever fully recover
Again like anyother addiction, it is always there is the background but we learn to manage it
Like taming a wild animal, you can train it but there is always the possibility that it will bite you one day

I thought the documentary was well made and gave a realistic picture of eating disorders and their recovery
But anyone watching could see that Dana was not even nearly recovered
Her mother was so positive and so hopeful and that will help but it won't make Dana better
The only negative about the documentary was that it showed some of the girls weights
I don't need to tell you how triggering that is
When ever I read a book or watch a documentary about eating disorders, I always hone in on the numbers and focus on them and compare myself
I think numbers shouldn't be included as it is not necessary, we don't need to know specific weights

Has anyone else watched this documentary?
What did you think?



33 comments:

  1. Im an ed doc junkie. ive seen that one a lot. my favourite is 'i'm a child anorexic' filmed at rhodes farm, theres also the one called im a boy anorexic there too and also the help me help my child episode all filmed there. i love dana but im sure shell have issues again altho i hope im wrong and guess ill never kno. the family come from near me tho. i like 'thin' too but somehow the one called im a child anorexic identifies with me more.

    hope ur ok xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same and I watch them over and over again.
      I think 'Thin' is my favourite. I could really identify with Shelley as she also had a substance abuse problem.
      I was devastated when I hears that Polly had died.
      I know Shelley had a blog and the last I heard she is doing well.

      I am ok, or at least I will be x

      Delete
    2. My favorite was I'm a child anorexic as well. I don't like THIN tbh, only because I've been in renfrew too many times to like THIN... I was at the Philly campus, rather than Florida, so maybe there is such a difference, but to me, thin is nothing like how renfrew really is. I identified much more with the people at Rhodes farm much more.

      Delete
    3. Katie- I thought the same thing when I watched it! I was at the florida center soon after it was filmed, so it was funny to see all the same staff. But a lot of it was pretty unrealistic...

      Delete
  2. ps i call mine lucy and margot. lucy restricts. margot binges. i was anorexic before i was bulimic and the ed team said they could tell because i have a much more anorexic way of thinking than bulimic i guess thats why ppls comments always hurt a ton, because i remember what i had and struggle to get bk to. i agree. u can have a healthy weight but, as the ed nurse said to me, still have severely anorexic thinking xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those names.
      Me too, I was anorexic first. I think something like 80% of anorexics go on to develop bulimia.
      It's like one day we break and suddenly can't restrict anymore.
      I used to starve for days but can't do it anymore and I suppose I don't want to but I would rather do that than binge and purge all day. x

      Delete
  3. I'm kind of the opposite. I had a binge eating disorder, and then something switched and I turned Ana. I just call it Ed. I haven't seen any of those shows. I always find anything about disorder so unbelievably triggering.

    What you say is so true... so many people including those with disorders think that you are 'recovered' once you are a healthy weight. Weight has nothing to do with it really... it's all in the mind. And the battle is so relentless.

    I know it's true yet it terrifies me that even if I somewhat 'recover' I will never be completely free from this battle. What a hopeless existence... :(

    I love reading your blog. Your writing is so captivating :) take care xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had binge eating disorder b4 my anorexia too. I'm doing better, but gaining weight back is so hard. I'm doing ok though I guess, still have to gain 5 pounds :P
      Recovery may never come for me though :(

      Delete
  4. It is strange Destiny, the way we jump from one eating behaviour to another, it's like a switch id flicked in our heads.

    I think our illness is with us forever but I do believe recovery is possible, I just haven't experienced it yet so I can't really write about it. But hopefully someday and hopefully for you too.

    Stay strong Destiny x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That seems like a very interesting film. I hope to watch it some day, I don't think I could currently because it would probably be too triggering.
    I think the reason I'm scared most, If I ever go to doctors or professionals or treatment, is knowing that there is no cure. Very discouraging.
    How is everything going dear? Better I hope?
    Take care, much love xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find it triggering too Melrose so I try not too watch too many of them

    There is no cure but I do believe that recovery is possible, like any other addiction, it never goes away but it is possible to manage it

    I am slightly better, feeling a bit more positive
    Thanks for your concern x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have watched this documentary over and over. I watch as many ed programmes and read as many books as I can get my hands on. I used to be able to watch them and not feel anything other than awe and perhaps jealousy at how thin the patients are. Now I can't watch them without crying, knowing that I am exactly like them, and knowing the suffering that they are experiencing. I wish no-one would ever have to go through this. I hope you're feeling better. XX

    p.s. I have an ed voice in my head, I call her Ana (original, I know!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm the same, my heart breaks for these girls when I watch these documentaries because I can relate so much.
    It's so sad that so many of us are suffering, some suffering in silence. I'm grateful to have this community here for support and understanding.

    I am feeling a bit better thanks x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am grateful for this community too. I love reading your blogs because I can relate to more or less everything you write so much, but I hate how much you are suffering. I'm glad you're feeling a bit better though. Keep fighting X

      Delete
    2. Thank you, I'm glad but also sad that you can relate if you know what I mean

      Thanks for your kind words x

      Delete
  9. Wow, I can't believe how much this post relates with me. I'm getting to a healthier weight, but my state of mind is still in my eating disordered thinking. I am now going to watch this documentary. I have heard of it but never watched it. Thanks sweetie. I needed a post like this
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen that doco so many times it's not funny. I've probably psoent more on bandwith watching ED docos than it would cost to buy and ship the bloody things!

    I fully reckon that Dana was eating to get out. I hope she's ok. You could tell there was no way in hell she was going to tell that Dee woman anything about why she started using food to cope. Her family also had the wrong ideas about the disorder, but a better attitude to food than the clinic. Her mum was telling her it was OK to not finish the dessert if she was so full because they were huge portions, but the clinic had her so scared she stuffed herself past satiation, ignoring her fullness. Not healthy.

    Georgie made me want to cry and hug her. I carry that feeling inside me all the time, and hearing the words come from someone else's mouth with such conviction cuts so deep.

    Weight means fucking nothing, it's the SYMPTOM not the fucking CAUSE. It directs time and energy from the root of the problem. Seriously, you can't clear out a fucking paddock full of gorse if you just keep trimming the leaves back, you have to rip it out by the roots and you can't help someone want to beat their eating disorder by focusing on weight instead of what drove them to it in the first place.

    People who make those docos should have it pointed out to them that numbers like that are fucking pointless and triggering and as fucking damaging as proana bullshit. UGH.

    I just finished chapter two. I feel so bad for what I'm going to have to do to these characters :( Path lives, though. She is in a story I started writing in intermediate that takes place just after what I'm writing now in the timeline of this world. PATH IS SAFE.

    Lol I do a lot of procrastinating before panicking and writing, so everything I do now is a way of putting off sitting down and writing. My flat is becoming so tidy it's scaring me.

    OMG YES ONLY IF I CAN SEND YOU SOMETHING TOO. I'll have to email you in the morning, have to go start the night's torture soon :'(

    Love you to tiny little bits of Ruby dust <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree wholeheartedly Peri, to me it looked like Dana was terrified to not eat, she stuffed herself with that dessert to the point where she looked like she was going to be sick.
    All this emphasis on weight really makes my blood boil, people are fascinated with the macabre nature of anorexia and want to see just how low someone will go.

    My heart broke for Georgie and I appreciated her raw honesty

    Oh I'm glad that Path lives, she is a fantastic character
    I can't wait to see what happens next

    Yes you can totally send me something
    Drop me an email with your address
    That's cool, now to find you something really special

    Dragons and unicorns from wee little Ireland

    Love you x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen this one too. And a few others about kids (there was one about kids in England I think. Slightly older kids).
    I think Dana was eating to get out but also because she was 8. At that age kids are more likely to follow the rules simply because they're rules. (at least thats what I learned in my child psych class) If she learned to eat, then she would continue that after leaving Rhodes Farm as long as her family reinforced good attitudes about food.
    However, I think her ED will likely resurface at some point. One of the comments on the documentary said that she was doing fine, but who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's true she was very young. I just hope that she is ok now x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember the first time I saw this doc too.. it broke my heart to see how the ED eats away at the whole family.. I too thought her mother was very naive. Dana seemed so controlled.. her emotions, every thing she did seemed meticulously rehearsed.. it reminded me so much of the way I have been - you talk of a mask.. and thats exactly how it seemed to me too.. she seemed like she was eating to get out - I too wonder how she is now.. did she recover? did she relapse?

    I hate what anorexia did to her - so young!!

    Love you xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree Rayya, she was going through the motions but I could see that she wasn't getting well, she was holding everything in
    I hope she is ok now

    Love you too x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you do get there Anna and you do manage to overcome this cruel illness

    Believe in you x

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is one of the best anorexia documentaries out there, I can relate to Dana. I've had anorexia since I was 11 (now I'm 16) and I was hospitalized in a clinic like Dana was. I came out worse, and now my Anorexia is worse than ever. At my highest, I weighed 119 and now I'm 86. Anorexia isn't about wanting to look thin, it's about control and a way of dealing with emotional issues. Someday, I hope to recover but I don't know where to start. All of the hospitalization programs in my area are forceful and don't help with the underlying issue. I just don't know what to do at this point.

    ~Ana

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think this documentary is great, and I agree, it did look like she was eating to get out. I am sure her Mum isn't as blind about the reality as she came across, she was probably just trying to convince herself that her little girl was coming home *fixed* and I think she was just praying it was all a blip. I know my mum hoped it was all a blip I could just get passed. And that was when she found out, 3 years into my ed (about 6 years ago now). I've bounced between anorexia, bulimia and periods of 'recovery'. I think it is possible to recover in terms of living with it under control, but there is always the risk of it coming back and biting you! I mean 6 weeks ago I was on the edge weight wise, but doing fine with food, and now I am being weighed weekly and could be in hospital within the next 6 weeks if things don't start to improve. Its hell, and I didn't see it coming! I hope Dana is okay, and that she never has to go through that hell again. But I wouldn't be surprised if she relapses at somepoint. Most people do. But she has a loving family, with a good attitude (from what we saw) so with any luck, she will be okay. I wish her and her family all the best x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love to watch the ED doc's, as inspiration to diet and lose 4 lbs and lower my cholesterol. I think that most ED victims are female is because most females are irrational though really. Men don't starve themselves to lose weight (and no comments please about the 10% of ED victims who are male, they are the extreme exception, not the majority of ED sufferers). If men want to lose weight, they cut out fries and hit the gym. It's hard for me to sympathize with so many crazy females (I'm female btw but more like a male in my thinking, my whole life). But I do enjoy them and would love to see how Naomi is doing, she was the prettiest and the thinnest one there, even after being forced to gain over her normal weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm 8 years too late but...holy internalised misogyny Batman!

      Delete
  20. Dana is doing amazing. She and her family moved to where her Dad is from, the middle east. She is a star baseball player and just great in general! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really??? I'm so glad to hear she is okay! Is she fully recovered?

      Delete
  21. https://www.facebook.com/dana.alsumait

    she looks alright

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh thank god
      i haven't been sleeping well because i was worried something happened to her and i couldn't find any updates but jesus chirst that girl went through a glow up lol
      im so happy for her wow

      Delete
  22. Mmm i am really happy now dana

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x