Friday 15 February 2013

Recovery 1, Anorexia 0

I did it
I'm not quite sure how but I did it
I'm writing this today a very relieved Ruby
Ever since Mary rang me on Tuesday and asked me to give this talk I've been a mess
And I can't begin to tell you how nervous I was yesterday
My father and I arrived at the conference just as it was starting
I scanned the crowd and saw faces that I recognised
Doctors and counsellors that I've seen over the years
As I sat there I thought to myself 'What are you doing? Run, run, get out of here'
I'm sure that was my eating disorder terrified that I was going to expose her
I had actually written out my story last week so I used that
It meant that I hadn't edited it or censored it
After the break it was my turn to speak
I tried to remember to speak slowly and clearly and look up from time to time
My voice was shaky a first
But I managed to stay calm and not lose it completely
The room was eerily silent as I spoke
I worried that I was being too graphic
And then in a flash it was over
Before I knew it people were clapping and I was back in my seat
It was my mothers turn then
She spoke with brutal honesty that even I found hard to hear
The conference then came to an end
Relief flooded through my body
To my surprise people came  up to afterwards to say thank you
Complete strangers gave me big hugs
To be honest I just wanted to get out of there
I felt naked after telling my story
Mary hugged me with tears in her eyes
'I knew you could do it' she said
My old psychiatrist who I have butted heads with over the years came up and shook my hand
The organiser of the day asked me if she could photocopy my speech and if I would be willing to speak at other events
I said I would
She took my details and said she'd be in touch
But the real victory for me yesterday was that I did it at all
The fact that I didn't let anxiety or my eating disorder stop me is huge
I drove home exhausted and drained
I would love to say that this has been a turning point
That this was the day I took my life back
But the truth is I came home and binged and purged
How ironic

Below is the speech I made
Let me know what you think

Anorexia starts like a whisper in your ear
A faint echo
Her voice is soft at first
She gently lures you in
She catches you when you're feeling vulnerable, sad or lonely
She tells you that she has found the path to true happiness and success
All you have to do is follow her
She says she will be your friend
The only friend you will ever need
You don't need anyone else
Just her
She makes the suggestion that if you change then people will like you
You'll be popular, loved and in control
Truly happy
She says that she has the answer to all your problems
She knows that you feel like your life is out of control and she encourages you to take control of the one thing that you can change, your weight
She scrutinizes your body
She points out that soft curves are not attractive
Maybe you should lose a few pounds
And so this becomes your goal
To lose a few pounds
That will make everything better
You start to cut back on calories
Maybe you start to exercise too
At first it feels great
You feel powerful and in control, clean and pure
You weigh yourself and see that you've lost a few pounds
You're delighted
People comment on how well you look and you get high on all the attention
You fit in to your 'skinny jeans' and you love your new shape
It feels so good that you want more
So you lose a few more pounds
That's probably enough now you think
But anorexia is not happy yet
She wants more
Or less rather
Anorexia's demeanour has changed now
She's not so nice anymore
She doesn't ask now, she demands
She tells you that you're still fat
That you're no good
A bad person
Hopeless
Useless
Ugly
The scale starts to rule your life
Those little numbers dictate your mood, your self worth and self esteem
The number goes down and you sky rocket in to euphoria
It goes up and you spiral down in to a black hole of depression
You try to stop but you can't
Your eating disorder has become a full time job
24, 7
You work hard all week restricting and exercising
And at the end of the week you expect a big fat pay check in the form of weight loss

Your clothes are baggy now
Your soft curves are giving way to sharp edges and pointy bones
You try to stop restricting but you can't
You try to eat normally again but you can't
People have stopped commenting on your weight now
But you see them nudge each other and whisper
But you still can't stop
Your family is concerned now
They express worry about your ever shrinking body
But you still can't stop
Your family are so very worried, angry out of sheer frustration
You push all your friends away because they don't understand
You're cold all the time now
But you still can't stop
Losing weight is the only thing that matters now
But along with the weight you feel like you are losing your mind
Your world has shrunk to just you and your eating disorder
But you still can't stop
Anxiety and depression creep in
You stop leaving the house
You're paranoid and afraid
But you still can't stop
Anorexia's voice is constant now
You have arguments in your head about what to eat
It's a constant tug of war
You fantasize about  the foods you would eat if you could
You obsessively read the nutritional information on food labels
Even in sleep there is no escape as you dream about food
You're a shell of a person now
Your body is cold and brittle
You develop lanugo
Your periods cease
But you still can't stop

Then one day you break
Hunger over powers your steely control
You raid the kitchen presses and the fridge
You eat and eat until it hurts
You can't stop
You shove food in to your mouth without even tasting it
You inhale every morsel
After the binge the guilt kicks in
It's overwhelming
Anorexia screams at the top of her lungs
'What have you done you fat pig?
Look at you you're a mess
A greedy disgusting excuse of a person'
You feel like you are going crazy with all this food in your stomach
Suddenly you have a brain wave
Or maybe anorexia suggested it
You calmly walk to the bathroom clear in your mind what you're going to do
You lock the door
Tie back your hair
Run the tap
Roll up your sleeves
Lift the toilet seat
Bow over the toilet
Shove 2 fingers down your throat and purge
Your stomach expels the food
You instantly feel relief
There
No damage done
You flush away the evidence
Clean the toilet and the floor to make sure there is no sign of the crime
You feel great
You feel like you've found a loophole in the system
A way to eat and not gain weight
And this is how you meet bulimia
Anorexia's partner in crime
Now you spend your days binging and purging
You have a path worn from the kitchen to the bathroom
You can't stop
You start to steal food from shops
You hoard food at home
The weight continues to fall off
You now have the body of a child
You're exhausted 
Drained
Mentally and physically bankrupt
But you still can't stop
You fantasize about death
You go to bed hoping that you won't wake up

Your family are beside themselves with worry
They beg you to get help
You agree to see a counsellor but make no promises
You're  not sure that to let your eating disorder go
Even though it's killing you, you can't imagine life without it
You see the counsellor every week but make precious little progress
Then one day your body starts to give up
You can't go on
Your family take you to hospital
They take your case seriously  and admit you immediately
They have some one sit with you 24 hours a day
But you still manage to purge and hide food
They keep you for 2 weeks and then send you to the psychiatric hospital
They try to help but you resist
You purge in to plastic bags and hide them in the wardrobe
It's an eerie place with stark rooms and cold hallways
You know you don't belong here
A place in treatment comes up
You agree to go as your too weak to resist
This place is nice
A place for people with money or insurance
The other girls are lovely
You bond quickly
You cry together
Laugh together
Help each other
Hold each other
Be there for one another
But you also compete with one another
To be the thinnest and the sickest
Now you have been given the label anorexia you feel like you have to live up to that title
And you still can't stop
You continue to purge
Continue to restrict
They put you on a cocktail of meds
You're so weak that every time you sit down you fall asleep
You spend a lot of time on bed rest
You're not willing to surrender even though you know that's the only way you will get well
You fail to gain weight and you are told you have to leave
You are heartbroken but you have to go
Your father comes to collect you and you can see the disappointment in his eyes

At home you slip into depression
You abuse your meds
It's the only relief you get
Before you know it years have gone by
You've been to treatment 3 times and have seen countless counsellors
You've lost so much
Friends
Family
Education
Health
Confidence
Self worth
Self esteem
Any semblance of a normal life
Happiness is a dream you once had
Peace of mind is a distant memory
You spend your days waiting to die
Praying that it will be quick and painless
Is this what I've become?
Is this my life?
Why did I listen to anorexia
She lied to me
Tricked me
She promised me my dreams but she's given me a nightmare
I have no doubt that she wants me dead

I would liken living with an eating disorder to that of an abusive relationship
Like an abuser anorexia grooms you and lures you in with false promises of happiness
But once you are captive they show their true colours and how evil they really are
Even though you are miserable you keep going back again and again
Because it's familiar
Because they promise next time will be different
Because you know no other way

This is my life now
A corrupted fairytale
A lifetime movie
A girl who slipped through the cracks
Fell from grace
Anorexia has brought me to my knees
Bulimia has broken me
Where this story ends?
I don't quite know
It's an everyday battle
A fight for my life
Sometimes it feels like one step forward and two steps back
But the important thing is to keep going
To keep fighting
And most of all to keep hoping




30 comments:

  1. Gah, did my comment go through? Crome looked like it was shitting itself. Lol, I've gotten into the habit of copying comments because I've lost so many so here it is again:

    Standing ovation. Standing fucking ovation ON MY COUCH AT 11PM ON A FRIDAY NIGHT. (Sssshhhh, don't tell Kerys I was supposed to be in bed an hour ago)

    So proud of you, so stoaked you didn't give in to the nerves and you got up and did it. Wow, just wow. Dancing all over the place. EEEEEEEEE! :D

    *Tacklehugs you* Omg I wanna tacklehug you IRL but I dunno how fragile your bones are :/ Lol I'd end up bruised as all fuck too so maybe a bear hug?

    You are AMAZING. I reckon the b/p after was the ED-conditioned response to the stress and relief and facing a freaky new situation. (Yeah, n00bly brainshite. I'm sorry 0.0)

    The road to wellness isn't a straight line like they make it look in all those movies, it's a bloody wibbly-wobbly slalom luge course or something. Messy as all fuck, and everyone gets a different trail guide map.

    You are awesome. You did awesomely. So stoaked for you. Victory party on my porch? I got new kinds of tea to try and a squidgy crocheted Yarn Eater blanket to keep your knees warm (Because Dralion isn't much of a lap cat. Sigh. No human lap yet created can hold her when she decides to sprawl)

    LOVE YOU SO MUCH, AMAZING RUBY!

    P.S. Capcha was allbran, I shit you not. Maybe it's telling me to downgrade from porridge? NEVER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Peri
    And yes, let's totally have a party on your porch
    I can't tell you how relieved I am today
    Hopefully it helped someone and the doctors got a better understanding of the illness

    Thank you for your continued support
    Couldn't have done this without all you girls support

    Love ya to bits x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing, you were incredibly honest and even though I don't know you much I am really proud of you <3 The fact that you could say all that means you are strong and I believe in you.

    Best luck x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you lovely, it means a lot x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I can only imagine how hard it was to hear your mother speak on this topic. And I believe that you doing this was you taking your life back. A B/P session does not negate that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautiful.. Well done my darling. May this be the start of something beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't even say anything besides how proud of you I am. It's simple and powerful. It's sad because it's destructive and makes you feel empowered as it weakens you. Still I keep going. You did a great thing Ruby and I'm lad you did it. It's not easy to expose this. It's weird, crazy, incomprehensibleto many. It's hard to even talk about it because you know it doesn't logically fit.
    great job love
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you my dear Eve
    I did it for you and all the girls here x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so happy!! I was really hoping you were going to do it. I like it. I don't think it sounded too graphic, but it was definitely not sugar coated. I'm happy your mom spoke, it must've been difficult for her, so give her a hug and a congratulations for me. As far as my speaking event, I've decided to do it, but focusing on control, whether through food or no food or drugs or hurting people or hurting yourself, just the fact that there is this overbearing need to control something. I'll let you all know what I come up with.

    But I am so proud of you, again. Even if you b/p-ed after..well, that's the reality of it. But you didn't just lie down and think "Oh well, this again, there's no way out of it." You felt relief, you took a step, you made this post. Like Peri, I want to tacklehug you lol. Maybe if you're in Ireland still in a year and a half, when I'm traveling to Paris and London, I can meet up and tacklehug you and we can have tea and crumpets :P As always, I'm a fantasizing romantic.

    But I'm going to stop blabbering, go to the gym, and leave with with ILOVES YOOUUUU!!!!!!!!!! I hope you have a good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you sweetheart
    I'm just so glad it's over

    I think that's a great idea to do your talk about control
    We all have our vices
    Be it cigarettes, drink, drugs, food
    Everyone can relate to that
    Will you let us read it?

    Love you too x

    ReplyDelete
  11. brilliant, amazing , so truth and so brave, well Ruby I am stunned xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's beautiful Ruby ❤
    And you know, it's too early to tell what this will bring to you. 1-0 that's a beginning, I'm so proud of you and your mom! You did it and what happened after is because of different reason than ever before. Again you're such an inspiration that I want to crash through the screen and hug you! ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it was probably a reaction to the stress of the day
      Today is a new day
      I won't give up x

      Delete
  13. Ruby, You are so brave and I am so very very proud of you. this is your first very big step of many.
    So much love to you darling
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. That brought tears to my eyes, very moving. You were so brave to get up and read it out to a room of people. Well done x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Ruby what an amazing speech. It would have taken a lot of courage to read that aloud, you are so brave. I think this story is familiar to many, and you have given them a voice.
    Alice xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Alice
      I hope it helped in some way
      I know it helped me to write it x

      Delete
  16. I'm glad you did this hon - very very proud of you.. and this is one amazing speach.. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad too Kitty
      I wasn't going to do it at all but now I'm so happy I was asked to do it
      It's shown that I can do things, that I'm not useless

      You are amazing too x

      Delete
  17. I don't know what to write that will make you understand what I feel after reading this. You have more courage than most, and you are a tragedy with it stuck inside you. Anorexia=0, and will always be nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't know about that but thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Ruby-Tuesday! Oh, your speech was so moving and you are so brave. I know it had to be hard for you to put yourself and your suffering out there but I think it is so important to support one another. Also by standing up you put a real person and face to anorexia which makes it more real for people, rather than just reading the textbook information about it. I am really proud of you and your parents for doing this.
    As far as your question about OCD, the International OCD Foundation website has a great site that can answer questions about what OCD is. There was even a quiz "Do I have OCD?" on there, not sure if it still is but you might check it out. There is such a wide variety of OCD behavior that I feel I would not be able to adequately inform you on my own. I do know people who feel strongly about having things a certain way as you mentioned, but don't have OCD so it can be confusing.
    When I was 15 I was diagnosed as anorexic. So many things resonated with me in your speech because the more weight I lost it seemed like the more compliments and admiration I got from my friends which propelled me in a very unhealthy way. Oddly, I never thought I was fat and I can't remember really wanting to be thinner. In my case it was all about feeling in control and the fact that I could limit myself to one piece of fruit a day made me feel like I was self sufficient and in control of myself. In some ways OCD makes me feel in control and in others ways completely out of control so it is obviously a problem I still struggle with. Keep fighting, there is always hope and you can get better!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Krystal Lynne,
    Thank you so much for getting back to me
    I will definitely check out that website
    I'm glad but also sad that you can relate to my story
    I had no idea you also had anorexia when I was reading your blog
    I think the two are quite closely linked
    For me it's also about control
    I have to have things just so
    I also suffer with anxiety a lot
    Do you have anxiety?
    I have so many questions and I think I'm going to talk to my therapist about it next week
    I will keep fighting
    I'll never stop fighting

    Keep in touch x

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is Remarkable, I am at a loss for words so I'll just have to say thank you. Thank you for your bravery and for your words. Thank you for your brave brave words.

    -x Eva

    ReplyDelete
  22. i finally got the time to read this, and its simply perfect. its beautiful in the darkest way, but so fucking true. thank you for being strong.

    stay lovely. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x