Sunday 20 July 2014

Out and about

I did something this morning that I haven't done in years
Excluding last week when I had to do it because Honey was drowning
Yes, I went swimming
I've had my swimming bag packed for months
But I only worked up the courage to go  today
And that was mostly because my sister went with me

My first challenge was to de-fuzz my body
I don't tend to get my body out very much so there was much de-fuzzing to be done
Then my dilemma was what to wear swimming
I went through my wardrobe and found various options
A navy bikini
A white and navy striped bikini
A pair of blue swimming togs
And a nice sleek pair of black Speedos
I also took rashie and a pair of little shorts out
What to wear, what to wear?
I finally decided on the black Speedos as they were the least conspicuous
We had a quick cuppa
And then it was off to the pool

As a child/teenager I was a member of the local swimming club
And swam competitively for my county
I lived in the pool
I swam before school
After school
I loved it
But then when I turned 15 I started to smoke and drink
And generally act the maggot
I quickly lost interest in my beloved swimming
Since then I have rarely swam
Up until today that is

We arrived at the pool
I invested in a good pair of goggles
We changed and ventured out in to the pool area
Thankfully it was early and we were the first ones there
I avoided any mirrors
As I afraid that if I saw my almost naked body
I might run screaming from the building

I waded in to the water
It was warm
I immediately felt at home
It felt amazing
The water supports me no matter what my body weight
Weight ceases to have any meaning when you are in the water
We swam for about half an hour
Then the place started to be invaded by children
So we headed for the sauna before calling it a day

I felt so good after wards
Even if the chlorine did strip a layer of skin off me
I can't wait to go again
And again
 And again........

Sorry no swimming photos
The blogosphere is not ready to see my partially naked body
But here is one of me and my sister taken after said swimming


7 comments:

  1. I love swimming too. That freedom of gliding (or so I like to imagine I am!) through the water and the peace of being alone, even though you may not actually be alone. I must start swimming again. I stopped a couple of months back but this post has made me crave that feeling again. Beats the gym any day! So glad you went today and had some time with your sister cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a lovely thing to do C
      I think I will be doing a lot more of it

      Hope you are well x

      Delete
  2. I love being in the water, although swimming puts a strain on my neck. It's the closest you can get to flying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i actually hate swimming. to add another prospective to it, i hate everything about it. the swimsuits, the water, the fact i can't swim, the fact that i just lie in water for time doing nothing because i can't swim. my reluctance to learn swimming. the only thing i liked is eating a lot of food when i'm in the water.
    i read your other post!
    i am eager to see how it turns out with you and Nicola. i think you said it yourself, "Even though I know she will be nothing but happy for me that I am healthier." there we go darling. you already have your answer. :)
    i hope that she also has gotten better x we will know soon enough i hope. enjoy your days, darling.

    -Sam Lupin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he
      I had to laugh at this Sam
      My mother is the same
      She has been trying to learn for years
      And just can't do it
      I love it though
      I feel so free in the water

      Thanks super Sam, hope you are doing ok x

      Delete
  4. I wish you could feel all that freedom in every-day-life. The feeling of 'none of it matters' which you get when entering the water. As if you are in your own little bubble. But then a healthy and good bubble :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x