Wednesday 2 July 2014

Toothache update

I rang my dentist at 9am
I explained my situation
That I was in severe pain
And I didn't sleep a wink with the horrible throbbing in my tooth
I was in agony
They told me to go straight in
I was glad because by this stage I felt like banging my head off a brick wall
I downed some painkillers and my mother and I set off

I arrived there about 10 15am
But there was some sort of dental emergency happening
And I was told to come back in an hour
I silently cursed under my breath and left

To distract myself I bought a pair of slippers and trousers



The hour dragged
And eventually it was time to go back


I was called in and I sat down on the chair
He lowered the chair so far back that my head was resting on his chest
Uncomfortable much?
He looked at my teeth and said that my last remaining back tooth would have to come out
I didn't care
I was in so much pain I wouldn't have cared if he took every tooth in my head out
Anything but this pain
He injected my gums to numb them
And I went out to the waiting room

I'm always paranoid that my gums are not numb enough
I kept probing my tooth to see if I could feel anything
I didn't feel too numb at all
Soon I was called back in
I told the dentist my fear that my gum wasn't properly numb
He said he would start and if I felt any pain he would stop
Oh my good God
I didn't like the sound of that
He picked up an instrument and began to loosen my tooth
But as soon as he had started I felt a red hot pain straight away
My knee jerk reaction was to pull his hands away from my mouth
And that's what I did
'Don't touch my hands' he snapped
Well excuse for not wanting you to take my tooth out while my gum is not numb

More injections
Many more
It hurt like nobodies business
Then he began again
This time I couldn't feel anything
Just a lot of pressure and pulling
I squeezed my eyes shut and prayed for it to be over
My head was being pulled in unnatural positions
And it seemed to be taking a long time
10 minutes later and the tooth still wasn't out
I could feel bits of it breaking off and landing on my tongue
I was starting to freak out slightly
As I had no clue what was going on
The dental assistant kept saying 'You're so brave Ruby, you're a great patient'
I felt like saying Fuck you, you horrible dentist, get your hands off me
But I didn't
I put up
And shut up
And resisted the urge to get up and run out of the room
Tooth or no tooth

Another 5 minutes later and I still wasn't sure what was going on
Lots of pressure
Lots of pulling and probing and pushing
All of a sudden it became too much
I could feel tears stinging the back of my eyes
With a final crack and crunch the tooth came out
'There' the dentist said
'Is it out' I asked
'Yes but it was a very difficult extraction' he replied
No shit Sherlock
I just sat through the bloody thing

I tried to keep my dignity in tact and stood up even though my legs felt like jelly
When the assistant saw me crying she told me that I had done really well
And handed me a tissue
My Mother was sitting in the waiting room
I started to sob
It was the most horrific dentist experience that I have ever had

The dentist told that I couldn't smoke for a week
I obeyed that instruction for all of 5 minutes
And lit up the minute I got outside

By now I was feeling very sorry for myself
I just wanted to go home
Thankfully the guilty culprit is now gone
It's such a relief not to be in pain
To feel normal again

I'm home now
I'm going to have a cup of tea
And have a little rest
Nighty night

11 comments:

  1. rest well, beautiful.
    that dentist sounds horrible and i'm sorry you had to go through all that, but i'm glad that it's all better now. i'm glad that you're not in pain anymore and you can rest xxxx
    wishing you a good day, darling.
    i don't have much to say i'm afraid. my head's in a bit of a mess.

    -Sam Lupin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam
      I don't have many words either
      So tired

      Love x

      Delete
  2. i'm sad that you are going to eat and purge.
    though i can understand that sometimes, it is inevitable.
    even me - supposedly haven't purged in 1-1.5 years.
    i get very bad urges.

    thank you, darling for your words
    i have been feeling dull and depressed since Thursday
    but i'm holding on.
    love you too xxx

    -Sam Lupin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jesus F Christ. I had a similar experience when I was in my younger teens and that is exactly why I fucking hate the dentist. Poor you :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was horrific but it was worth it to get relief from the pain x

      Delete
  4. Yikes. That sounds awful! I'm glad the darn thing's out. It's the worst when they start, but need to give more anesthetic anyway (seems to happen to me a lot). I once needed three injections when I was younger, though that was only for a filling, not an extraction.

    Obviously I'm in no situation to lecture about smoking, but I'm just wondering if using mouthwash after smoking could be helpful. After my oral piercings I had to use it whenever I smoke/ate/drank to keep it clean, I'm wondering if the same would apply for dental work? After such a nasty toothache, the last thing you need is an infection.

    Lots of love and hugs to you Ruby. Rest up and take care <3 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea Bella
      I think I will try that

      I swear I am traumatised after today
      I can still hear the crack and the crunch of my tooth coming out
      Yikes, it makes me shudder

      Hope you're doing ok sweet Bella

      Love to you too always x

      Delete
  5. Experiencing a lot of pain is not the best way to spend the day. Thankfully, after the extraction, the pain goes away. And hopefully for good, so you don't have to experience this kind of pain again. Finally, you can sleep sweetly and pain-free!

    Josh Brockmann @ Starbrite Dental

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feeling severe pain on your tooth is not a thing one would like to experience. And it was too bad that you had to go through all that. Thankfully your tooth was successfully extracted afterwards, and that there were no further complications. At the very least, you got to sleep soundly again.

    Sharon Woods @ Falls Park Dentistry

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x