Thursday 21 August 2014

Not everyone with an eating disorder........

I saw a post similar to this one over on Izzy's blog
I thought it was worth re-blogging here
Let me know if you can think of any more

Not everyone with an eating disorder is anorexic

Not everyone with an eating disorder is underweight

Not everyone with an eating disorder makes themselves sick

Not everyone with an eating disorder goes in to hospital

Not everyone with an eating disorder is skinny

Not everyone with an eating disorder is in therapy

Not everyone with an eating disorder exercises

Not everyone with an eating disorder gets diagnosed

Not everyone with an eating disorder is female

Not everyone with an eating disorder is a teenager

Not everyone with an eating disorder calorie counts

Not everyone with an eating disorder is obsessed with being skinny

Not everyone with an eating disorder has fear foods

Not everyone with an eating disorder knows that they have an eating disorder

Not everyone with an eating disorder doesn't eat

Not everyone with an eating disorder has body dysmorphic disorder

Not everyone with an eating disorder wants to lose weight

Not everyone with an eating disorder hates their body

Not everyone with an eating disorder experiences health problems

Not everyone with an eating disorder will make it out alive

Not everyone with an eating disorder loses their period

Not everyone with an eating disorder weighs constantly

Can you think of any more to add to the list?

7 comments:

  1. But if one does not engage in the things above - what contitutes the disorder then? I am not being cynic here just curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally speaking, I see an eating disorder as a life-altering obsession with food or weight and the accompanying behaviors. It can affect your physical or mental wellbeing or both. The idea here is that not everyone with an eating disorder shares all these characteristics or has the "stereotypical" overt signs of an ED.

      Delete
  2. And dear people who are about to attack me, i DO know. Been there, done that,ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would really hope no one attacks you over a question. It was a valid question the asked something I'm sure many people are curious about. I honestly don't think anyone in this community or that reads this blog would attack you over curiosity. I agree with Tempest. I think "what constitutes the disorder" is a mix of diagnoses and how you personally define it, an eating disorder can look different to different people. Unfortunately the diagnosis part gets skewed so often.

      Delete
  3. From a personal, ED standpoint:
    I agree that not everyone shares the "typical" signs, I think I was just as sick gaining weight in recovery as I was at my lowest weight during my ED. It wasn't until I myself wanted to get better that I did. I wasn't always skinny, and I didn't always purge, or over exercise, and I wasn't allowed to weigh, but that didn't take away from the overwhelming thoughts of food and my body and the constant worry about getting fat, or wanting the control back.

    From a medical standpoint:
    These are the defining characteristics of an ED, and you cannot be diagnosed without showing some of these symptoms. But that does not mean you cannot be sick still, you would just see a psychiatrist personally, but a doctor will not keep seeing you unless your scary underweight, or having body issues from b/ping, etc. So from a medical standpoint, No you're not sick till you have these symptoms.

    Me having both a medical profession and an ED, i see both sides equally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to wait to see if more people post, but I want to make something with these words if I can. I've been into making visuals with inspiring words.

    Not everyone with an eating disorder is going through a phase.
    Not everyone with an eating disorder is privileged.
    Not everyone with an eating disorder has the support they need.
    Not everyone with an eating disorder is aware how dangerous can be.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x