Tuesday 2 September 2014

Zumba!

I have been on the lookout for some classes to take
So I was delighted to see that Zumba was starting in my local community centre
I have never done Zumba before
But was really keen to try
I really didn't want to go alone
So I talked my sister in to going with me
For moral support
And for someone to giggle with at the back of the class
My sister wasn't half as keen as me
But she agreed to come with me

As well as Zumba
There were classes called Insanity on too
I have seen Insanity on the tv
Basically it is a high intensity work out
Exercising for 3 minutes
And resting for 30 seconds
I liked the sound of it
But decided to ease myself in gently with Zumba

My sister and I were lying on our respective couches last evening
Trying to summon up the energy to get out the door and off to Zumba

'Will we go?'

I don't know, do you want to go?

I don't mind, would you rather not?'

We went on like this for some time
Until I finally said
'Ok come on let's go'

My sister put on her tracksuit bottoms
And I donned my leggings
And off we went

We arrived quite early
There were a couple of other people there
So we sat down and eyed up the other people
Then the instructor came
She looked really young
But had a friendly face
We watched as she set up her equipment
She was wearing three quarter length leggings
And a purple head band
She definitely looked the part
I went up to pay
And asked her about the insanity classes
She didn't you didn't have to be super fit to do them
But I wasn't convinced
I decided to stick with Zumba for the moment

The room began to fill up
And the class started
My sister and I tried to stay at the back
But it seemed that everyone had that idea
So we ended up somewhere around the middle
We warmed up first
I kept my hoody on
But by the end of the first song
I had to take it off
Which I wasn't happy about
Because I felt self conscious enough as it was
Without having to remove some clothing

Then we straight in to a dance number
I was a bit meek for the first few minutes
But the choreography  was really good
So I really got in to it
As you know I love dancing
So this suited me down to the ground
The instructor didn't give much instruction verbally
We just copied what she did
Even though half the time I looked like a hippo trying to dance
I didn't care
I was really enjoying it
But boy am I not fit at all


The class lasted about 45 minutes
There was an Insanity class on after it
Just as our class was finishing
They all began to come in
Talk about gym-tinidation
They all looked like pro-athletes
All in their lycra
Their super cool runners
With their towels and bottles of water
I immediately decided that I would not be going to Insanity any time soon
My sister and I dragged our weary bodies out to the car
And headed home

We arrived home and the dogs gave us a huge welcome
You would swear that we had been away for a month!
We immediately put on our pyjamas
I made us tea and toast
And we settled down in front of a movie
We didn't even get to see the first half before the two of us were sound asleep
I woke up every now and then
But couldn't find the energy to get myself down to bed
Finally my sister woke me up
And I stumbled down to bed
Where I slept like a baby

I really enjoyed Zumba
And I love that it made me so tired
I hope to go back next week
But I don't think I am ready for insanity just yet

9 comments:

  1. Hey Rubs, that Fat Bastardo ASSHOLE left an ugly comment on mine too, I blocked him - I suggest you do the same. It looks like a troll page. Fucking cunt bag. You're doing great, don't let him get to you! Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Piggy
      Although I am sorry you got one too
      What an asshole
      We let him get to us
      Right? x

      Delete
  2. Omg, Zumba?! You are a braver woman than I am! Insanity... It's called that for a reason XD

    I always feel self-concious as well in yoga class - just up until it begins. Then people are so focused on themselves that they don't see you. That's what I keep telling myself anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you're quite insane enough without taking that particular class? (# sarcasm)

    You sound really lifted up! Well done!!

    (L)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd really like to try Zumba if there were classes in HK. My mother highly disapproves of my love of dancing (I have two left feet but I try) and has only allowed me to join a short hip hop course a year ago, and cheerleading every year at school.

    Don't push the Insanity class if you're not comfortable with it :)

    Love,
    Christie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to try Zumba for years, but I think a proper class is the only way to learn. I bought the Wii game and it's terrible! I've always wanted to dance but with my height I feel a bit like a lumbering flailing fool.
    A good workout always feels amazing. Do you think you'd go back by yourself next time?

    Lots of love to you <3 xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt exactly like that in Zumba: a hippo. I like to think I could be a good dancer but I would have to get over being insecure about it. I think I would rather be in the Insanity class Haha, which is hard by the way, but you feel pretty awesome after. I'm really glad you got out there and your sister is a great sport

    ReplyDelete
  7. ZUMBA ZUMBA!!!! You know I'm an instructor right? I'm so glad you tried it! Seriously.. it changed (saved??) my life! I always say at the beginning of the classes I teach, "there's no wrong way to do zumba! As long as you're enjoying the music, moving around and having a good time, you're doing everything right!" Zumba is for the SOUL and the body. Have fun!!! Eso! (we say, in spanish!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x