Wednesday 15 October 2014

Most embarrassing moment!

To give us all a break from the heaviness that is our eating disorders
I thought that I would write about something completely different today
A bit of light relief

I've had many, many embarrassing moments over the years
Falling
Tripping up
Saying silly things (I do this a lot)
But probably my most embarrassing moment came when I was teenager

I was 16
And had just acquired my first part time job
In a well known supermarket chain
My main job was to help customers pack their groceries
I remember I was paid 2.56 an hour (Irish pounds)
I needed the job though
To fund my hectic lifestyle
To buy smokes
And alcohol
And drugs
I remember going in to work without a wink of sleep
And managing to get through the day
Oh to be young and energetic again

This particular day
I was stationed at a little booth at the entrance to the store
I was promoting the Mother and Baby club
Which was something mothers could sign up to to get vouchers, money off baby products etc
It was a cushy number
As all I had to do was sit there and smile

This day I was severely hungover
I could barely keep my eyes open
A woman came up to the booth
Carrying a tiny baby
She asked me about the club
And I gave her the information
You had to fill in a form to join
And because she was carrying the baby
She asked me to fill it in for her
'Yes, of course' I said
So far so simple

I asked her name
'Mary Cox' she replied
I printed her name on the form
And because I was in such a delicate state
I really wasn't thinking
And I wrote Mary COCKS!
'Oh my God!' she exclaimed as she saw what I had written
'That's not my name!'
It was only then that I realized what I had done
'Gosh I am so sorry' I said
And quickly ripped up the form
And got a new one
I was mortified
I couldn't believe that I had just written 'Cocks' on the form
I wanted the ground to open up an swallow me whole

Thankfully the woman saw the funny side of the situation
And didn't report me for indecent behaviour
It really was an innocent mistake though
I just wrote it the way I heard it

So what is the moral of the story?
Well, for starters
Don't go in to work with a raging hangover
This will lessen the chances of you messing up
Offending someone
Embarrassing yourself
And possibly getting sacked
Fortunately I didn't get sacked
And it did make for a funny story

The moral is also to ask how to spell a word if you are not sure
I know this because I have a very difficult surname
And people generally never get it right
So I know better than to assume I know how to spell something

I was wondering about you
What is your most embarrassing moment?
I'd love to know...........

3 comments:

  1. A little while ago I was working as a waitress at a local cafe and also at this time I wasn't taking my medication properly and the implanon rod in my arm was making me psycho. Customers came in and I sat them down and took their orders. They were rude to me from the start and functioning at 5% capacity I just wasn't in the mood for it. I did not hear the woman order a bottle of wine instead of glasses. I don't remember the whole insident and I don't remember the rest of the shift. When I walked away from them I mumbled "get back in your fucking box lady." They heard me and complained and I was fired the next day. Not really embarrassing, my family thought it was funny and I do now too as I was ready to quit at the time. I've had my share of embarrassment, many insidents I will not admit to out loud.
    I really enjoyed reading this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this but i can tell you from my daily life that being asked to spell your surname can be equally embarrassing. My surname is actually Haycock. It all goes well... H A Y and then when I continue...C O C K I can 98% of the time see the person visibly tense/smirk/or openly make a joke. In my case I'd rather you just spelled it wrong :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to that come to mind for me. The first one was about a year ago when I still was in my undergraduate and living in the dorms. My boyfriend lived in the ones next to me and we had gone to the gym late on a Friday night. It being a quiet weekends and us being us we snuck into the men's restroom to shower together and eve brought in a beer. I recommend shower beers but maybe not when you aren't allowed to drink in your dorm. We were being quiet and showering, nothing dirty, and all of a sudden the security guard that walks around at midnight opens the door and says that he can't show with me. I chugged my beer, rinsed off, and slunk back to his room with a towel around me. We got community service hours and I was fired from my housing job because I violated University policy it was finals week so it was especially crappy but we laugh about it now.

    My second one that embarrasses me most was when I went with my friend and her year old son to the park to play with the sprinkler things and I went to step down. She said, it's kind of high. I told her it was okay because I have long legs and so I assumed I could make it. Just as I stepped her son looked back really fast which toppled me off balance. We both fell to the concrete. Luckily I kept him out of harm but all the parents wee looking at me like I was the worst every I was so embarrassed. My friend just laughed and comforted her son who was only scared by it. I had lots of scrapes and a bruised ego

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x