Friday 10 April 2015

Tantastic

In an effort to make myself feel a little better about the whole summer thing
I've taken to working on my tan
The weather here is starting to improve
So there is no need for knits and fleeces any more
Which is a shame because I love wrapping up on cold winter days
The one thing that I hate about summer 
Is the fact that less clothes are necessary
But I always feel better about myself if I have a colour
So I signed up for 100 minutes in the sun shower of my local leisure centre
I've already used 45 minutes in 3 days
As you know
I don't do things by halves 

The other reason I was dreading summer
Was because of my toe
This tie has given me no end of trouble over the years
What with in grown nails 
Growing in the wrong direction
And generally not doing what a big toe is supposed to do
After years of hiding my toes 
And pretending there is nothing wrong with it
I finally showed my doctor said toe on Tursday
He took one look at it
And said it would have to come off
The nail that is 
Not the toe
Even though the whole procedure sounds horrific
I am actually glad that something is finally being done about it 
At last I will be able to get all my toes out and not scare small children with its grossness
I would show you a photo of said toe
But I don't want to put you off your breakfast

In recovery 
You hear a lot about self care
Looking after yourself
Mentally
Physically
And spiritually
In the midst of addiction or an ED
Self care is not high on your list of priorities
You are generally too busy trying to kill your self 
They also say that you need to be a bit selfish
And put yourself first
This does not come very easily for me
As I am a natural people pleaser
I want to please people
I want to be liked
And I want people to think well of me
But this can back fire
As people pleasers can be rather annoying
But I am starting to look after myself
By getting my teeth done
Getting my toe done
Going to meetings
Going to therapy
Keeping my side of the street clean as it were 

Taking care of myself is a new phenomenon 
I spent years abusing myself
I didn't care about me or my health
I can remember being down in my sisters house
She would always have supplements and vitamins and health aids out on the counter
I remember thinking why would you bother?
What is the point?
But now I can see that she was taking care of her health
And that is great
I'm just not quite there yet

My body image changes from day to day
From minute to minute
Sometimes I catch my reflection in a mirror 
And I think I look grotesque
Other times I see something that approaches ok
 My weight is holding steady
Fluctuating a kilo either way
If I am honest
I would love to be 5 pounds lighter
But I know it's a dangerous game yo think like that
My BMI is stable at about 20
Just about healthy 
And I am ok with that

I am trying to do little things to help me feel better about my body
The tanning
Wearing pretty and comfortable clothes
Exercising 
Doing my hair
My nails 
All these things make me feel a little bit better




I was wondering about you
How is your body image?
What do you do to improve your body image?
Are you like me and find summer difficult?
Inquiring minds want to know.....

3 comments:

  1. Tan? Yes, I've heard of this before. It's what happens to other people, like my brother. The gingerbread man, we call him. I am known as the corpse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi ruby :) I bet you will look lovely tanned. We all need a little self love.
    My body image used to be much worse, I'm more accepting of myself and less critical lately, I still struggle a bit though... Especially with my thighs and, mostly, my face, I'm always looking for ways to improve my skin, whiten my teeth etc.
    Take care beautiful
    Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a second it looked like you were holding a watermelon in that photo! Lol!!

    I've struggled with body image so much since giving birth to my daughter in November. But what helps me the most is just to say to myself "well, it could be worse!" I know that seems like a trivial thing to say but for whatever reason it really helps me! I also try to "quit while I'm ahead" when looking in the mirror. If I happen to see the mirror and I think I look okay, I look away very fast and don't look back again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x