Thursday 16 April 2015

Looking after #1

When I was in the midst of my addiction and ED
I didn't care about myself
Or my health
I was too busy self destructing
And generally trying to kill myself
My health or well being just Nevet cane in to it
I didn't care about my teeth
It skin
Or hair 
Or nails
Drugs occupied my every waking moment
It was always a race to keep the sickness at bay
And I was always playing catch up

Even before my addiction and ED
I didn't give my health a second thought
I didn't like myself very much
So I didn't look after myself
As I didn't really see the point
I didn't think I was worth the trouble 
I didn't think I was worth the effort

During the worst of my ED
I denied myself basic human rights
Food and water
I starved
And binged
And purged
I did everything I could to hurt myself
I was so disconnected from my body
And what it needed
I didn't know how to care for myself
It felt so foreign
So wrong 
Hurting myself became normal

It's only really in the last year that I have started looking after myself
Last February
I was just out of treatment
Having been discharged after failing to gain weight
My weight was low
My mood was lower
I feared for my sanity and for my future
To cut a long story short
I did what I call a half hearted over dose
And took a weeks meds one evening
Thankfully all it did was put me in to a deep sleep
And I woke up the next day

I didn't tell anyone about the overdose
But then when I saw Mary the next week
I found myself telling her
She jumped in to action immediately
And gave me a choice
I could either present at the local psychiatric hospital
Or wait and see my doctor the next day
I chose the latter
And promised Mary I would be safe until then

I saw my doctor the next day
Mary had filled him in about what had happened 
I don't remember much about that appointment
Other than he changed my meds
And started me on Prozac 
All I could do then was hope and pray and wait for the drugs to work

Thankfully they did work
And my mood began to lift
And my anxiety lessened
It wasn't really a conscious thing
But I began to gain weight
As I gained the weight
I started to feel so much better
Life became easier
I could tolerate being me for the first time in a long time
Also my binging and purging became a lot more manageable 
I had been purging up to twenty times a day
It was killing me
It was such a relief to finally be free
Well almost free from bulimia

As I began to recover 
But by bit I started to take care of myself
Personal hygiene
Which really sufferers during my addiction
I started to take pride in my appearance again
Doing my hair and wearing nice clothes
Life was getting better

Years of being on methadone
Had really taken its toll on my teeth
Do last August I began the process of improving them
I found a brilliant dentist
Who gave me seven new crowns
Which drastically improved my teeth
And just two weeks ago
He finished them
And they now look a million times better
I had been so self conscious about them
And they really affected my confidence
It was a big decision to get them done
A big commitment
Especially financially 
It was a long and painful process
But they are now done
And I couldn't be more pleased with them

My teeth were the first thing to tackle
Then it was time to address my feet
As I explained on Tuesday
One of my big toe nails needed to come off
As it was beyond saving
I've had a problem with this toe for years
And kept putting it off yo do something
But I finally got it done this week
And it is such a relief to have it done

The next thing on my agenda
Is to get my eyes tested
My eyes are really failing at a rapid rate 
And I think I need glasses
I'm actually looking forward to getting them
As I think they can look really cool with the right pair

These are all things that I am doing for myself 
Looking after myself 
My body
My mind 
My spirit 
This is something of a revelation for me 
For such a long time it didn't matter
I didn't matter

It's a good feeling to be kind to myself
Because it's about time I began taking care of myself 
And putting myself and my mental and physical health first
Because without them
I have nothing


5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are seeing yourself in a more positive light, it is so important to love oneself ^-^
    You deserve good things and to feel loved (especially by yourself)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mandy
      It's a work in progress
      As they say in the meetings
      It's about progress not perfection

      Much love x

      Delete
  2. I'm glad it gives you hope my dear
    Keep hanging in there
    And keep fighting x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do matter, and it's lovely to hear you talking about taking care of yourself. I hope the is doing okay today!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x