Wednesday 15 April 2015

The jockey

I was listening to the radio the other day
There was a jockey being interviewed 
He had just raced in the Grand National
For anyone that doesn't know
The Grand National is a horse race that happens every year
It's very prestigious 
And also very dangerous
As there are so many horses
There are often many casualties
Anyway
This jockey was speaking
The interviewer was female
And I was wondering if she was going to ask him about his weight 
As that would be the first question I asked him
And she did
She asked him what his competing weight was
He told her that he was 5'10
And weight a certain weight
I quickly worked out my weight in comparison to his
And came to the conclusion that he weighed less than me for his height

This really disturbed me
The thought that I weighed more than a man
I know that jockeys are like boxers
In that they strictly control their weight for competing
And they are probably not the healthiest people in the world 
But still
I couldn't get the though out of my Head

I guess you could say that this massively triggered me
I have been struggling with restriction anyway
And this has just added fuel to the fire
I'm going long periods of time without eating
And getting a great kick out of having an empty belly
Seeing the numbers on the scale go down is also addictive

I badly need to reign myself in
My behaviours are all over the place
I'm seeing Mary next week
And I guess that is playing on my mind too
I know she will weigh me
And I am dreading it
I guess sometimes I still feel the need to live up or down to the label of anorectic 
Plus I hate being weighed 
I hate knowing my own weight
And more than that
I hate anyone else knowing my weight
To me it is such a personal thing
So to have an audience is beyond difficult
I wish the professionals wouldn't be so reliant on what the scale says
I mean
Can't they go by what I tell them?
Or how I present?
We are told do often that weight doesn't matter when it comes to EDs
But clearly it does
Because otherwise we wouldn't be weighed so much
For the first few years of my ED
I never weighed myself
It never even occurred to me
It wasn't until the professionals started weighing me that the number started to matter
It seemed important to them
So it became important to me

I've gained weight since I last saw Mary
That it is no secret
I realise that I am a healthy weight
With a BMI of 20
But still
I am worried about what she will think of me
Even though rationally I know she will be nothing but happy for me
I'm still worried 

I can feel that I've lost weight
I can feel it in my stomach
And I can see it in my legs
God forgive me for enjoying that
The scale is my friend now
Because the numbers are going down
For so long they went the other way
And the scale was my nemesis 
But I wish it didn't matter either way


4 comments:

  1. why does mary have to weigh you when you are doing better? no one can make you can they? that puts me off getting any help. it was riding and racing got me into this mess,only amateur but it messes with your head . don't put off seeing her because of that just explain it won't help you. good luck xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with Mary next week. I'm so glad she's finally back - I can't imagine how happy you must be! Could you ask her to not weigh you, at least not at every appointment? I'm sure she'll understand, she knows you well enough by now.
    I used to rarely get on the scales and usually just told them what I weighed that morning. The dietician was the first person I let weigh me regularly, and yeah, well, so much for that.

    As for the jockey... those guys are so tiny though, and especially when we're talking competing weights and they've been through all the extremes and dehydration and whatnot. It's not natural or normal at all.
    And I actually thought jockeys had to be quite a bit shorter than this guy to be 'light enough'. I certainly wouldn't go comparing weights or BMIs with him. It's chalk and cheese, love.

    Keeping you in my thoughts <3
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ruby, I'm so happy Mary is back, yet another thing to bring order and structure to your weeks ^-^ I know that, at least in my case, that is a great comfort.
    After all this time I'm sure she wouldn't mind not weighing you every single time. The case is asking her, I'm sure she'll understand. She is a professional after all.

    Things you don't expect can be so triggering, especially if you are struggling a bit. I agree with Bella though, it's chalk and cheese.
    Although I know it's a struggle not to compare oneself to others when one has a ED mindset, I know you are strong.

    Take care of yourself beautiful and good luck with your appointment.
    Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear that Mary is back. You must be very happy.
    I actually wanted to be a jockey at one point as I love horses and riding. I don't think I could do it now though. I think I'll stick with riding for the fun of it.
    Hope your appointment with Mary goes well x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x