Thursday 18 June 2015

The meds situation

As you know
I've been struggling to take my meds properly
I misuse them about 5 days out of 7
And it's getting to the point where I think I want to do something about it 
Because I need to get my stuff together 
If I want to start my course in September
But not just that 
If I want to be truly clean and sober
And if I want to lead any semblance of a normal life
So it's decided 
I'm going to tell my doctor on Monday
I'm going to bite the bullet
And come clean

I can't go on like this
Spending my days face down
Cross legged
My head balancing on the top of my tea cup
Spilling endless drinks
Worrying my sister and mother
Going to meetings while drowsy
And that feels so wrong to me
Going to meetings 
While under the influence
It doesn't sit right with me

As with a lot of decisions I make
I think it's time for a good old fashioned pros and cons list
To sort out what I'm getting out of this behaviours 
And the negatives that effect my life
Of course the pros of this behaviour 
Are that I can check out of reality
And literally get out of my own head
This baffles me some
As my reality is not that bad
But it's been a pattern of mine over the years
Whether it's alcohol
Drugs
Food 
Shopping
Escaping life has always been part of my life

I guess I have it easy right now
I live in my family home
I don't have huge rent or a mortgage to pay
And money I get is mine to spend as I see fit
After I contribute to weekly shopping and bills
And also 
My meds cost very little each month
So I don't have to worry about that either

Prescription drugs are tricky
Because it's not like I'm taking an illicit drug
These meds are prescribed for me
And I am meant to take them
I'm not doing anything wrong when I take them
They are for legitimate medical conditions
But the thing is
My meds have not been reviewed in years
I was speaking to someone at a meeting one day
About anxiety
It turned out that we were both on the same anti anxiety meds
Except for the fact that I was on over double that he was on per day
And this was a big six foot guy
Surely that can't be right

Over the years 
My meds have accumulated
Especially during hospital stays
When meds tend to be tinkered with on almost a weekly basis
Trying to find that magical combination of drugs that heal us from the inside out
And of course 
So now that I am getting well from home
I probably don't need to be on as much medication
And I don't speak up about that
Because it suits me to have a lot of medication
Because I am an addict
And a greedy one at that

I'm not looking forward to telling my doctor about the situation
I don't want to let him down  
And I know I've manipulated him over the years 
It's not fair
And it's not right
Part of me is hoping he will increase my methadone
But that's the addict in me again
Rearing its ugly head

I really appreciate all your support during this
Apologies for not replying to comments the last couple of days 
Normal service resumes today


16 comments:

  1. I don't think you're letting your doctor down by telling him. He'll be glad you're coming clean and being honest. You're also taking a HUGE step forward as far as recovery. Focus on that, and don't forget how strong you are. <3

    Everything is over-prescribed here as well, it's frightening sometimes. One of my friends has enough xanax stocked up to kill a herd of elephants--she told her doctor she doesn't really take it anymore, but he keeps prescribing her more. Another friend is on such a huge dose of ambien, I don't know how she hasn't OD'ed. And then I go and try to get a little bottle of bloody cough syrup, and they won't give it to me because it apparently hasn't been long enough since I filled the last cough syrup prescription. Figures!!

    Good luck with the doctor. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so Mich
      I am already nervous just thinking about it but I've said I'll do it
      So I will

      I know it's out of control in some places
      I wouldn't have a hope of staying clean if I lived in the U.S.
      But I guess when people have had enough they will stop

      Thanks for support Mich x

      Delete
  2. You Shouldn't be driving. Think of the poor innocent people you could kill or hurt when driving drowsy. Think of others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's kind of obvious that she feels badly about this already. Antagonistic comments are not helpful.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Mich
      For having my back
      And for realising that this post was not easy to write
      And I feel deeply ashamed of my reactions

      You rock!
      So much love for ya x

      Delete
  3. i know how you feel as regards wanting to be out of it, i just can't seem to deal with real life a lot of the time,in fact i can't really remember how i used to feel without meds and other stuff. please do talk to doc he sounds nice and has known you long time. done anymore walking, i really hope you get to spain love jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo
      I know you understand

      Spain has been postponed until next year
      Just won't be ready this year
      But we do hope to go somewhere in September for a week

      Hang in there Jo Jo x

      Delete
  4. Proud of you Ruby! This is such a big big step, and I know how hard it must be. I think getting your meds re-assessed is definitely a good place to start. As Mich said, you won't be letting your doctor down by telling him the truth, so please don't be afraid of that.
    I got your email just before. I'll reply later, I just wanted to let you know I got it.
    Love and hugs <3
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bella
      For your sound advice
      And support over the last 3 years
      It is much appreciated
      Got your email too
      Thanks hunny bunny x

      Delete
  5. I don't know if I'd admit it to them Ruby - I think it'll make them distrust you even more?

    That said, something does need to be done about the situation - is there any way that you can tackle it yourself, and then the professionals will be none the wiser? Can you give your mum your meds to give to you every day? I'm all for keeping people the professionals in the loop, but I worry that your GP will think "Oh not this again". And Mary might be hurt that you've lied to her for so long after you have such a great relationship. It might make her worry what else you're lying about, putting strain on the relationship you have. Just my thoughts.

    L xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know L
      It's a tricky situation
      I have tried begin to give my meds to a family member
      But there isn't always someone here
      I'm 90% sure I will tell my doctor
      As I'm hoping he will increase my methadone
      It's a gamble for sure
      But I have to take it x

      Delete
  6. Baby steps!

    I personally don't think the anti anxiety stuff does that much good. You probably won't miss it.
    the methadone will be a different story. Maybe you can cut back a little. You will go through a grieving process when you give that away so make sure you ED is in remission. Just my 2c.

    Xoxo shelby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks shelby
      I always appreciate your two cents
      I agree with you though
      I don't need to be on so much meds
      And my anxiety isn't bad at the moment
      I'm trying hard to stay afloat
      Thank you for your valued support x

      Delete
  7. I'm proud of you for taking this step! I know how incredibly hard it is. It's like giving up that one last piece of addiction you've been holding on to for dear life so that you don't lose everything. I had to literally bring my mom to my doctor's with me so that I wouldn't be tempted to lie to him again in order to get back on my Xanax and sleeping pills. I have a separate doctor for methadone since we have clinics strictly for the methadone program. So it wouldn't have been too hard to manipulate him again. But I knew I couldn't. I knew it would just completely ruin everything I was working towards. So you're very brave for considering this and trying to get back on track. :)

    I feel like maybe upping your methadone a bit wouldn't be a bad thing. Because you'll be reducing the dose of other things, so just to help you along, upping the dose may be a good idea. That way you won't be too tempted to misuse the other meds again or go relapse. As long as it wouldn't be upping it to the point where you'd be zonked all day.

    I know it will be hard, so I just want you to know that if you need to talk, I'm always here. I can give you my email as well if you'd like.

    Much love, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roxy
      You are so right
      It's like giving up that last little bit of my escape mechanisms
      It's really hard
      I've been fighting with myself all week a bout whether to come clean or not
      And Monday is getting ever closer
      But I will do it
      Because I have to learn in reality
      I have to get my shit together
      Before I lose another ten years of my life

      Yes I would love to email you
      Do leave me your address

      Thanks my lovely x

      Delete
    2. Of course.
      It's jordaroo92@msn.com.
      And my real name is Jordyn, just so you know :)
      (I feel so brave giving out my real name! lool).

      Delete

Thank you for leaving some love x