Wednesday 1 July 2015

Sans Scale

Giving up my weighing scales 
Has turned out to be one of the better decisions I have made in recent times
I admit it
For the first few days
I missed it
And spent many hours wondering what I weighed 
But now I'm on Day 10
And I feel like I'm past the withdrawal stage 
And reaping the rewards of not weighing 

Weighing was one of the first things I did of a morning
I woke up 
Used the bathroom
Stripped
And stood on
In the milliseconds that it took the number to flash up
I said a quick and pleading prayer to whatever God was in duty at that time to please show a nice number a safe number 
Or an acceptable number 
Then I would squeeze my eyes open
And peep down at the number 
That number
Dictated my mood 
My self esteem
And self worth for the whole day
There have been times when I sobbed on my bed room floor 
Naked 
Cursing the scale and my big anorexic ass
How dignified
Who ever said eating disorders were glamorous
Come walk a day in my shoes

Anyway 
I just wanted to say that I really recommend getting rid of the scale
In the past year 
I have got rid of two scales 
The first one was thrown in to the lake near my house 
(Sorry Mother Nature!)
And I took a hammer to the second one
Each time I went back to the scale 
Replacing the ones that were destroyed
Like a slave 
I kept going back

Now 
I can honestly say that I don't miss the scale
Not one little bit
The initial few days were tough
As I imagined that without my scale
I was putting on weight by the hour
But 
I am going by how I feel
Rather than what I look like
And I feel pretty ok
Most of the time
So let's go with that 
And also my clothes still fit
So I am not going to freak out just yet

So all in all 
Getting rid of the scale has been very positive
It's freeing 
It's liberating
It's cathartic
It's breaking the ball and chain that is the scale
It's taking back control 
It's saying that I don't want to be a slave to the scale any more
It's taking a stand against your ED 
It's measuring your worth by how you live your life 
And not measuring your worth in pounds and ounces 
So if you are thinking about it
All I can say is
 
DO IT!

I promise you
You won't regret it ....

11 comments:

  1. Or you can get a scale and just tape your magic number on the display. Throw out the batteries. Hop on at will and then everyday you'll be good. I put a smiley face on mine.

    X shelby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha this made me smile. My friend once found a set of scale she quote said would be 'Perfect for you!' you step on them and it flashes positive affirmations at you...I WANT ONE lol

      Delete
    2. Yes!!
      I'll have one of each please x

      Delete
  2. Go Ruby!! ^-^
    Those scales sound awesome XD
    I threw my scales out but I'm at my mum's house now and she has some that stare at me from the living room (why she keeps it there I'll never know)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny the places that people keep their scales
      I've even seen one in a kitchen!! X

      Delete
    2. Here, I resemble that-!!

      I fot 'aving a scales in the kitchen was NORMAL--
      [Erm, not that I'd kno ennathing about it, OC…]
      >.>

      Jils

      Delete
    3. Sounds like torture, scales in the kitchen. Bloody hell.

      Delete
    4. hee, hee-! 'Niiice one'-!! ; )

      My uhm, "friend's" flat is fully carpeted & she doesn't want it in the loo, so…

      <3 Jils

      Delete
  3. Glad you are doing so well!! It's amazing when you get to that point where you realize how little the numbers matter, and how ridiculous our whole idea of a "safe number" is.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I'm quite de-scaled as yet
      But I am working on it
      Always working on it x

      Delete
  4. I really need to give up my scales, I know they only kept me bound to the e.d. yet for some reason I just can't.let.go.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x