Tuesday 15 September 2015

Blogging and a bit of honesty

It's    been over three years now since I first started writing this blog
It has been one of the better decisions I have made in recent times
From the start 
My blog has been a life line 
A strong support 
It has saved my life 
And my sanity many times
Often my blog is the one place that I am entirely honest
And with that in mind 
I need to make a confession
So here goes

First I should say 
That recovery is about progress not perfection
But lately I've been feeling like a fraud in regards to my drug addiction
With my ED 
I think I can safely say that I am in recovery
I am weight restored 
My thinking and behaviours are markedly improved 
Yes I do still purge the odd time 
But it's not a daily occurrence any more
When it used to be up to 15 times a day
So I think I'm about as good as I'm
Going to get in that regard 
But my addiction
Well that is kind of a grey area at the moment 
It's true
I'm not using heroin
Or any illegal drug
But I am on quite a hefty amount of prescription medication
Including methadone 
And various others
And people 
I have to confess
That I am not taking them properly 
In fact I don't think I have ever taken them properly
I take them to suit myself 
If I have a busy day 
I won't take any
And if I have I quiet day
I will overuse them
To escape
To get out of my own head 
To check off the planet for a while
To zone out 
I plan it do I will only go one day without meds
And the rest of the days are spent drifting in and out of sleep
I know 
It's not good
If I was braver I would talk to my doctor
Or to Breda 
But I'm not at that point yet
Because the thing is
My drugs are handed to me every week
They are legal 
The are meant for me
I'm supposed to take them
So where is the problem?
I know myself that this is not good 
It's almost as good as using 
As I am taking 
And abusing mild altering drugs

I really need to get my s**t together though
Because on Tuesday 
I am travelling to Turkey with my family
So I really don't want to sleep my way through that week
The thing is though 
That even when I take my meds properly  
They still make me groggy 
When I was in Belfast during the summer
I really struggled to stay awake
And missed out on a lot 
So on this holiday
I am determined to be alert and bright 

Obviously I can't not take the methadone I need that one 
But I can pare back the other meds 
The olanzapine
And the anti depressants
So I think I will take them PRN
When and if I need them

So yes
On Tuesday we travel to Turkey 
I am excited 
But also worried
As it will be hot there 
And I will be getting my arms and legs out
This is why I've been tanning 
So I feel a little bit better bareing all
This is where I need your help 

Have any of you gone on holiday this year?
Either while actively in your ED
Or in recovery
How did you manage?
What got you through?
Do you have any tips for me?
I really need help with this one...

5 comments:

  1. I take a billion meds that make me sooo tired, and the only (legal) thing that makes me at least a bit alert is caffeine pills. 300 mg at a time, two times a day. Too much, but sometimes that's all that is between me and coma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate to that CP
      I swear I sleep my life away
      Are all your meds prescribed? X

      Delete
  2. The idea of taking antidepressants as a PRN sort of really rings alarm bells for me. Could you please, please talk to your doctor before you go stop/start-ing them? You don't have to talk about the misuse if you're not ready, but I think having advice on board would be a good idea.

    As far as holidaying with addiction goes, unfortunately the only way of guaranteeing a smooth ride for me is to make sure I take enough substance. Being present isn't my strong suit

    Enjoy your holiday! Plenty of photos, yes?

    <3
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more the anti anxiety I take like that
      I'm pretty ok at taking my anti depressants
      But over all it's a bit of a mess
      And I need to sort it out

      The only thing is
      That when I tell my doctor I'm messing with my meds
      He puts me on daily dispensing for a couple of weeks
      And I'm forced to take them properly
      But as soon as I go back to weekly
      I'm misusing them again
      So I don't know what to do
      I could talk to Breda I confidence I guess
      It's some thing to think about

      Thanks Hun
      And yes
      Lots of photos

      By the way
      I got your card
      Thank you so much
      I sent you an email
      But I'm not sure if you got it
      Hope you did x

      Delete
  3. I don't know how on earth you can misuse Mirtazapine Ruby! I'm totally zonked after I take that! Why not try just taking that one before you go to bed (is that not the instruction anyway, mine says Take At Night on the box as because its a strong sedative its not actually very safe to take it during the day), and then Prozac in the morning? That's what I used to do when I was on an SSRI as well as Mirtazapine!

    Louisa xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x