Friday 25 September 2015

Day Off


I'm taking a day off today
As in not venturing out in to the city 
And retiring to the hotels roof top terrace 
To read and catch up on sleep
And generally do very little
The past few days have been so busy
I just need a day to catch up on myself
So I will be refreshed for the rest of the holiday 

I told my family they I was taking a day off
They expressed concern
That I would overtake my meds
And possibly OD
My sister actually used the word overdose
They said it was not like being at home
They it would be a huge deal if I got ill here
Or something happened with my meds 
There have been days when I took no meds this week
In an effort to stay awake 
And keep up with my family
So today I have more meds left than I need
This morning I decided to take one days methadone as normal
And two days tablets 
Not too much
But just enough to make me slightly sleepy
I know what you are thinking
I am in one of the most exciting cities in the world 
I shouldn't want to miss a thing
But I think it's fair enough to give myself one day off 
Isn't it?

Another thing about Turkey
Everybody smokes 
And I mean everybody 
Old 
Young 
Men 
Women
All religions 
All nationalities 
Even children 
I swear I saw a group of eight or nine year old kids all with cigarettes in their hands
Puffing away 
So I'm guessing that cigarettes are very cheap here
And also it just seems to be part of the culture
It's just what people do
It's the done thing 
But honestly
I haven't had a smoke craving yet
Like the ones I've had here 
I've literally been gasping for a cigarette
Even dreaming about the damn things
It just looks so relaxing
Having a smoke with a tea or coffee
Having one after a meal 
With a drink at night 
It just looks so tempting
But so far
I have resisted 
It seems that my second year smoke free is proving more difficult than the first
I guess during the first year
I was full of motivation and gusto
And now 
Well it's just becoming like hard work
Anyway 
The cravings go as quickly as they come 
I just need to ride it out

As I said in previous posts
The poverty of this country is very in your face
I went out for five minutes this morning
And was accosted no less than four times in those few minutes
Twice by children
And twice by girls
My sister and I were sitting having a quick coffee 
They come straight up to you with their hands out 
Literally begging
It's really difficult
Because part of you wants to give them something to help
But another part of you knows that If you do give them something 
They will see begging as a source of income 
And continue to do it
As wel as using their children
Which is blatant exploitation
I know when I was living in Dublin
There were a lot of homeless people on the streets
I knew if I gave money 
The majority would use it on drugs no or drugs 
So I used to give them food
At least then you know what you are giving 
Both parties win

I love being in a city
I love the hustle and bustle
The constant noise
And this city doesn't seem to sleep at all 
I live in the country
So this is a complete change of pace for me
But I love the extremes 
The silence to the noise 
It reminds me that there is a whole world beyond my four walls
A whole host of countries and cities who are as different as they are similar 
It also reminds me that I am but a mere speck on the canvas they is this earth
This life
I am not that important 
I'm just another person
Another body 
Trying to figure out this thing we call life 
And it reminds me that I am very lucky
To live in a county where men and women are treated equally
Most of the time 
A country where I can get a good education for next to nothing 
Where I can be free to be me 
Whoever that is
Gay 
Straight
Bisexual
Trans 
I have the freedom to do and say what I like 
When I like 
Where I have the comfort of being part of the middle class
Most of my problems are first world ones
And ones that can be solved 
I know I am blessed
In so many ways







3 comments:

  1. "I am not that important 

    I'm just another person

    Another body "

    actually I like that feeling. it makes me feel at one with the world.

    I'm glad you were sensible with your meds even though it must have been embarrassing to be reminded of that by your sister. truth be told that would have angered me. you must be much better natured than me, dear.

    have a good day off. I think it's a good idea. You can get overwhelmed/too tired otherwise. you need a clear head.

    thinking of you ruby

    shelxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. great pictures, you look so pretty with your tan and new hair ruby! but what would your group at a meeting say to "just use my meds like this ONCE?" its never once, isn't it? not using them correctly ... only you know best what this really means...
    your darling mum looks lovely but a bit frail. please look after her. she has done so much for you,hope she is ok ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just gonna put it out there that the Western media makes us anything but free and there is freedom in Turkey well never know.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x