Friday 4 September 2015

Discharge

I saw Mary yesterday
After my trip to the dog shelter
I always like to see Mary
Our chats are always interesting and informative
We know each other well by this stage
I've been seeing her for four years now
Mary often reminds me of our first session
Her post was new
A position that was greatly needed in the community
Before Mary
ED patients were sent to General CBT
But Mary became a specific ED therapist 
So was geared more towards an ED patients needs
Mary often reminds me of the state I was in when I first saw her
I was broken
Both in body and mind 
In my mind 
This new therapy was the latest in a long line of failed attempts to get on top of my ED 
I had no expectations 
Very little hope
After all
I had been through therapist who told me that I 'wasn't that bad'
And another one who told me that I was 'emancipated'
My memory of those first sessions is hazy 
But then everything from that time was hazy
I was running off of fumes 
Underweight
Malnourished 
Mentally and physically weak
And of course it wasn't a case that I miraculously recovered
It was a long hard road
So many sessions of butting heads
Many many tears 
My walking out on more than one occasion 
I put up great resistance to getting well
My weight has fluctuated greatly over the years 
From emaciated to just about heslthy and back again 
I had a break from Mary when I went in to treatment
Another one when my weight became too low for her to see me
And another one when her post was  cut due to budget issues 
But I always went back
And Mary always made an effort to get me back 

I think you can probably guess where this post is heading 
Yes 
After four long years
Of highs and lows
Ups and downs 
Tears and laughter 
Mary informed me that she is formally discharging me
And not because I am not engaging in therapy
Or because my weight is too low to continue
Oh no 
It's because I am actually well enough!
I was actually gobsmacked
Because most of the time 
I consider myself to be a perpetual f**k up 
Me 
Queen of trouble and mischief 
Is actually being discharged
Because Mary considers me to be well enough!
At first 
In my head 
I panicked
I was like 
Noooo
I need you
Please don't go
I need Mary in my life
Sometimes she is the only sane person I speak to of a week 
But
She assured me that I have made great strides
And it's time 

We talked for a while
About the last four years 
And the progress that has been made 
In a lot of ways 
It happened quite suddenly
But I think in reality 
I had spent years laying the ground work
By going to therapy 
Months in treatment 
And generally preparing myself mentally for recovery 
I am just over a year in to my recovery
I am weight restored 
I feel good 
My mood is good
My health is the best it's been for a long time 
And I guess that it's now that I am feeling better 
That I realise how low and depressed I was 
I hated myself 
And resented life
I had a passive death wish
Not actively seeking death
But welcoming it if it came 
Now I am stable 
I can feel
And feint is no way as scary as I thought it would be
I'm now strong
Capable and able
And that feels amazing 
I'm now in the process of rebuilding my life 
And trying to find my place in the world
I don't equate beauty with weight anymore
And I am just finding myself 
My opinions
My style
My take on life
I'm a 34 year old woman 
I've been through a lot 
I've survived this long through sheer stubbornness 
And determination 
I've abused my body so much over the years 
I'm just happy that it hasn't given up on me 

So yes 
Next Thursday will be my last appointment with Mary 
Then I am on my own 
Standing on my own two feet 
I feel ready 
I think I can do it 
I really think I can 

19 comments:

  1. That is SO beautiful to hear Ruby
    Honest to God I knew you would turn that corner.
    You're a star
    Many good, bad, challenging and interesting times ahead.

    Carl Jung said "life begins at forty the rest is just research". I love that and it's so true for so many of us.

    It is sad to say good bye to Mary though! I could use a Mary every now and again just for advice!

    I have been writing on my blog again so hope you have a look.


    Xoxo shelby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelby
      For your kind words
      And birthday wishes
      You are sweet

      Yes it's a milestone to be discharged
      It's both thrilling and terrifying
      I just hope I can do it
      I really hope x

      Delete
  2. i think you can do it too, love jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing Ruby!

    I know the fear though. I am leaving soon for London to do my Master's and I am absolutely dreading saying goodbye to my GP. The fact that I am well enough to go to London is amazing, and so it should be a good thing that I don't need her anymore, but in the back on my mind I'm like "No, but what if I fall again. You know my story, you know me, what if my other GP isn't as nice, I can't see anyone else except you". She's been such a rock to me and she's the one person I am dreading leaving behind. Just gotta make the jump I guess, but I'm glad I'm not the only one worried because I'm well enough not to need a professional!

    Louisa xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that's fantastic Louisa!!
      I am so delighted for you
      And wish you every success

      Yes
      I can imagine how difficult it is to move and start afresh
      Also with a new doctor
      As you have to go through everything from the start

      Really good luck though!
      I can't wait to hear how you are doing x

      Delete
  4. Oh dear ruby this is music to my ears the words I long to hear. For all of us. That we are well enough and capable of not losing ground. My first psych disappeared up and left no good bye one minute here gone the next. My next I saw for a year then she discharged me as I was "not improving". My psychiatrist agreed and then offered to see me privately (what? This is still a mind fuck today.) I see him privately. He advises people not to treat me ip which I highly regard but know sometimes is ultimately necessary. And I'm bordering that necessity as much as I resent it I know it is a life line (literally!). My councillor is a bit like your Mary she's insightful and down to earth gee we don't even talk Ed or anything meaningful but she takes my mind off the shit storm that is my life once every three weeks. She thinks we should part ways because she doesn't see her role; her role is making me feel normal for 1hr and take the centre away from my mental health. She is a god send and sometimes I resent her but mostly I wish I could hug her. My case manager is only a limited number of sessions we have 11 remaining. That's 11 weeks until goodbye. Until discharge. Until I've helped you as much as I can now it's up to you. I feel like a deer in headlights. And lastly my gp has stood by me through everything but the last month she has seen me she asks every session "if we should book again" she's tired and I understand I'm tired too. She doesn't want to see me not because she doesn't care but because she cares too much. But without these supports I am certain I would be a lot worse off. I was dying before they intervened I've still had MANY close calls but without them they would almost certainly not be close calls. One day dear ruby one day I look at where you've come from and I think wow one day I'll be like her I'll overcome this I'll be stronger I'll make a difference I will have a life not just an existence!

    Much love rubs, also happy birthday! Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Hun

      This comment was bitter sweet for me
      Bitter in that I hate that you struggle so much
      That all the girls here suffer so much
      It breaks my heart that so many of us are still caught up in the car and mouse game that is ED

      But sweet because you have some good people around you
      That will get you through
      And you have the strength
      Even if you think you don't
      I'm sure I'm a lot older than you
      So remember my recovery was a long time coming

      Just keep fighting
      Baby steps are so important
      Let yourself live
      You deserve it x

      Delete
    2. Thanks Hun I don't want pity because I'm stuck. I have a lot of amazing supports like you said and friends (Inc you!).

      Yeah you are a bit older then me (I'm only 19 -20 this month ugh) I've had my Ed for about 11years however it progressively got worse and I got to my sickest 5years ago that's where I say it started (still a long time though for someone my age!). Love you rubs your a star!

      Delete
  5. Wow, this is so wonderful! You have worked so hard and you truly deserve this milestone in your life!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been hard work CP
      But so worth it
      I wouldn't change a thing x

      Delete
  6. You know, I specifically remember one morning riding the bus to school when I was in my undergrad. I always read through blogger like the morning paper before classes and I considered myself moderately religious. Well anyway, I remember that you were having a pretty rough go at the time and were binging and purging a lot and just really down on yourself. I remember saying a prayer for you and I did several times throughout the years. I apologize if you're not religious and this offends you but I was thinking of you regardless and so it brings me great joy to read this because man, it's been a long road and you know what? We both made it out on the other side. Damn that's great. You can do this lady! You've got the world at your feet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eve that is so lovely
      It warms my heart to know that you did that
      And it means a lot to me
      I know I've said many prayers too in my time
      So no apology needed at all
      You are a special girl Eve
      You have a big heart
      And so much to give
      Thank you for your support
      It is much appreciAted x

      Delete
  7. : O

    [but then NOT : 0 ] ; )

    Whatta grt Milestone, girlie-!! You've made such extraordinary Strides of late, & thruout the past year.

    I too recall your much-darker days, even to my being scared for your very LIFE, dear one!! [I writ you abt it in my '1½' maile to you ; )] It's so wonderful seeing a miracle being enacted right b4 my eyes-! :D :D So glad you're still lvg, & even MORELY so that you're no longer gutted to be here-!! [After all, what gd really, health, if all the whilst we long fervently to be elsewhere (or actually NOT to be…-?!)]
    →I say again, Rubly, I'm SO GLAD u r here-!!!←

    I remember when Mars 1er went away, & I was so sad/disgruntled on your b½!! (stupid budget cuts!) :/
    But she was Prayed bk for a 2e go: NOW ye've come out the other side & full circle; glad she was able to exp the fruits of her labours, in person-!!

    I'm sure you hv mixt emos right now & to be expected, right-?! This woman [& FRIEND] was an integral part of your life, she's not lk an off/on switch… yet & still, it is time to part the ways… so

    'Good journey,' dearest Rubs, I hv ev'ry Faith, even 'til you clasp it for Yourself-!!

    [& Hey, THANK You for not stopping 7 minutes b4 the Miracle……]

    love ForEVER; Jils
    PS: chgd the minutes of the slogan in tribute to your up-coming Birthday-! ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Jils
      You are so kind
      And yes
      There were very dark days along the way
      Sometimes I thought I wouldn't make it
      But thankfully I did
      And I'm here to tell the tale

      Ha!
      7 minutes I love that!
      Yes
      It's so important to hang on for our miracle
      Because there is one for all of us
      I firmly believe that

      Much love my friend x

      Delete
    2. Cheers, Lovie-!

      Whatcha gonna do for the Big Day-!? hv you plans alrdy-? [Decisions, decisions…]

      Delete
  8. CONGRATULATIONS! :-)
    I'm sure Mary will miss you too. It must be hard being a therapist in so many ways, but surely not least letting go of people when you've been with them so long and cared so much. Stay strong! wonderful, wonderful, wonderful that you have come so far <3 So pleased for you.
    So, from Mary to the dogs?! Lovely that there is something to look forward to Next :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Ruby!! That's big big news. I'm so frikkin' proud of you right now. I know it's scary, but I don't think Mary would be taking this step if she wasn't sure you could handle it. This is nearly party-worthy!
    Will you keep seeing Breda and the rest of your team?

    Lots of love <3
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love x