Saturday 5 September 2015

Freedom to live

Today I am really struck by the freedom I have to live
Watching the crisis in Syria
And all those poor refugees 
I realise how lucky I am to live in a country where I am free to do as I please
But not just free from prosecution
I am free from the my own demons
The demons inside my head
The demons that drove me to the brink of death
Free from the drug that held me captive for so many years
I was a slave to that drug
And I never let myself forget how bad things were when I was addicted to heroin
Never 
And of course my ED
Bouncing from anorexia to bulimia and back again 
The scary thing about these disorders is that we don't realise how sick and near death we truly are
I am one of the lucky ones 
I made it out relatively unscathed 
I think our thirties are a time when things either get a lot better 
Or a lot worse
I guess it's when you really grow up
And become an adult
Addiction took so much out of me
The getting and using 
Finding ways and means to get drugs 
I had the energy for it in my twenties 
But now
No way 
I don't have the energy 
Or the inclination to chase the dragon
Heroin brought me to my knees 
And burned me out 
Mentally and physically
And throw in an ED
And I was broken 
It has taken until now 
Until I turn 34 
To put the pieces of the jigsaw that is my life back together 

This morning I woke up
With a roof over my head
In a dry bed 
In a warm house 
My dogs woke me up
WAnting to go outside 
I have no pressing worries
The only thing in my mind is my upcoming birthday
And the family dinner we will have
I get up 
Throw on a hoody and slippers
Let the dogs out 
Put the kettle on
And make some toast 
I look out the window 
And see the mountains just beyond the back garden 
Every window in my house is like a huge wide screen TV
Showing the beauty and wonder of this beautiful country
I turn on the radio
And settle down with my tea and toast
Like I said 
I have no worries
I am not strung out 
I am not gasping for a drink or drug
I'm not weak from lack of food 
My body and mind are healthy 
My inner critic is silent 
I am at peace 

After a while 
I make my Mum breakfast and bring it down to her in bed 
Honey comes too
And Lea waits in the car
I chat with Mum a while 
Then I get dressed 
I am lucky enough to have plenty of nice clothing 
I scrub up well if I make an effort
Next I go and call my sister
She sleep upstairs
I think about how glad I am to have her home
After being in Australia for 12 years
How great it is to talk to her when ever I want

When we all ready 
We all pile in to my sisters car 
My Mum and sister in the front
Me and Honey and Lea in the back
We drive to the beach
For a brisk walk
As I watch the dogs running so freely 
And having a great time 
I think about how lucky I am to have such amazing dogs 
And how they have helped me so very much
They truly are my best friends 

We walk the beach
Then head down to the village
We visit the peace garden 
Which is so quiet and peaceful
We run our hands along the lavender
And cup them around our noses to inhale  the scent 
We sit on the bench in silence for a few moments 
And just for that minute
Everything is ok
And exactly how it should be

It's no fluke 
Or freak of nature that I am the way I am
I come from a long line of people who suffer from addiction and mental health issues
There are six in my family
Four of us have suffererd  with these issues
A few years ago
All four of us were in active addiction
It was a living nightmare
But now 
All four of us are clean and sober and well
And that is nothing short of a miracle

Today I am grateful
So very grateful
For coming through what I've been through
For making it out the other side
Along with my family 
I am grateful for the lessons I have learned along the way
I am grateful that I live in a country where freedom is a given
And I can live the way I want to
I am grateful for the people I have in my life 
My family whose unwavering support has seen me through so many bad times
The friends who have stood by me through it all
I am grateful for the professionals in my life 
My doctor
Mary
Breda
My psychiatrist 
Who have gone above and beyond their duty to help me
I am grateful to have two amazing dogs 
Who are always by my side
And have been there for me for the past ten years 
I am grateful for my health
Given all I have put my body through 
I know I am blessed to be as healthy as I am
I am grateful for my recovery 
For my peace of mind 
For my drive and determination for a better life
I am grateful that I was hand picked to be in recovery
That I have a second chance at life
I am grateful that I have a roof over my head
Food in my fridge
And a car to drive 
I am grateful to be part of this community
To call you all friends
For you to be part of my story
And for me to be part of yours
It's very easy to cruise along
Taking life for granted 
But today 
Today I am really feeling the gratitude 
They say to be happy 
You need to want what you have
Not have what you want
And I have a lot
More than a lot of people
I am so grateful for that 

Here are some pics from today....













8 comments:

  1. Wonderful, & beautiful. :)
    (Might this become another of the tabs at the top of this blog page? ... or will there be another poem one day to voice this end of the journey, alongside "this is anorexia" and "so you think you want an eating disorder"? Anyway, thank you for this beautiful post, and SO glad you have come this far)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much
      And yes
      That's a great idea to put this one in a tab x

      Delete
  2. so uplifting to read this ruby, thank you for your beautiful writing, jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome Jo
      Please remember that I believe in you x

      Delete
  3. Ruby I am so happy for you, it is palpable you are having such a firm grasp on your life, so much you've been through and allowed others to witness the real pain of that, now we are watching you blossom and harvesting more and more fruit of your never ending fight, you are giving us hope that we all can get rewarded for our courage and not giving up, ever, even when we so often feel like it.....thank you so much k. Xx xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you
      I am so glad and happy to know they these words could help some one
      That is my goal every time I write x

      Delete
  4. Uplifting reading!

    Also, very cute kitty.

    Xoxo shelby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know
      That cat was beautiful
      And so friendly

      Just stopped over at your blog
      And left you a comment x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving some love x