Monday 5 October 2015

Preventing Relapse

Given everything that is happening
Being on holidays
Coming back from holidays
Being sick
And having Turkey Tummy as the lovely CP called it
And having the stress of my driving test tomorrow
I know I need to be careful
I haven't weighed myself 
But I know that I've lost weight 
I can feel it
It's no surprise really
The food really didn't agree with me
I had bouts of diarrhoea and constipation
Although I think constipation is by far the worse of the two
And because I didn't much like the food in Turkey 
I've kind of lost the taste for food
Even my precious white chocolate and salt and vinegar crisps haven't been touched since I got home
I've just been nibbling toast here and there

I know that this is a dangerous time
I acknowledge that
Now it's up to me not to let this setback turn in to a slip or a relapse
It's hard though 
Part of me would love to go running in to the arms of my ED
To just say f**k it
And throw myself head first down the rabbit hole
But I won't 
I can't 
I've come too far to throw it all away now
I mean
I'm in no danger of falling in to the underweight category just yet
It's more the behaviours
And the thinking at the moment  

Exit: I just bought a battery for my scale 
And weighed myself 
I've lost about 7 pounds
Just over three kilos
More than I had thought
But I am still very much in the healthy category
So I'm not going to worry just yet
I'm pretty sure that my weight hasn't settled at my set point yet
I'm also pretty sure that I have overshot my set point 
Which is pretty common I know
So I would actually like to settle some where a little less than I am now
But of course 
We all know
Where EDs and weight loss are concerned 
Sometimes it takes on a life of its own
And it feels like we are on a runaway train
With no way off

Anyway
Enough with what could happen
Let's talk about what is happening
Today is Monday of course
That is doctor day for me
He was surprisingly on time this morning
The first thing he said to me was
'So you weren't whisked away by a swarthy Arab?'
I said there was no fear of that
He said that he doesn't give advice 
But he does tell girls not to marry Muslims
I told him in fact they my auntie B had married a Muslim
Albeit a non practising one 
Who is one of the nicest men you could meet
He asked about my holiday
I told him some stories 
He told me they he is going to Poland tomorrow 
To visit his son
Who is studying medecine there
He also said he would start reducing the methadone when he got back
Ahem
No comment...

As I mentioned earlier 
I have my driving test tomorrow
Some how
I have managed to get to the grand ol' age of 34 without doing it before now
But it has finally caught up with me 
And tomorrow is the day
Today I have a two hour driving lesson
To cram in everything I need to know  before tomorrow
I'm not getting my hopes up
But I will do my best 
That's all I can do

I know I need to mind myself at the moment
I know that a relapse can creep up on you 
And then slam you between the eyes before you know what is happening
I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing to weigh at the moment
I guess it's good to keep an eye on it
Without getting too engrossed with it 
I mean 
I'm sure I could be questioned as to whether I really am in recovery or not
I still purge 
Not very often 
But about 3-5 times a week
Not everyday 
But almost 
I'm not quite sure what that means
All I know 
Is that this is as good as it gets for me right now 
I am as free from my ED than I have ever been 
And with recovery and life
Comes complications 
Life is not a straight forward thing
There are many bends and bumps in the road 
Sometimes we even go backwards 
But the important thing is to keep going
To keep trying 
And fighting
To keep hoping 
And believing 
That there is a better life for us

God knows 
I know that when you are in the eye of the storm of an ED
Recovery seems nigh on impossible 
And it also seems to be something that happens to other people 
We might all have similar EDs
But each of us are unique 
And will recover in a way that might be different to someone else
I've been in treatment for my ED about five times 
And never once did I even complete the programme
Nevermind recover
I can remember being there 
And all my energy went in to resisting treatment 
And in fact 
I actually lost weight while there
How I managed to do that I do not know
But after five failed admissions
I've learned that recovering in that type of setting 
Just does not work for me 
Being surrounded by other sick and underweight people
For me 
Is not conducive to making positive changes 
I compare myself 
I let myself compete with these girls 
To be the thinnest and the sickest
It became a game 
Where the winner is the one closest to death

As we all know
Treating EDs is a tricky business
I would say doctors hate to see the likes of us coming 
They are just so complex
It takes much time
And energy
And endless support 
To help someone who is completely immersed in their ED
To even considering changing their thinking and behaviours
And to get them to gain weight?
Well that is the biggest challenge 
We may want to recover
But we may want to stay at a low body weight
And as we know 
That just doesn't work 
You can't have one without the other 

For me 
Recovery from home worked a lot better than a stint in treatment 
And as I often say
Sometimes it feels like it happened in spite of myself 
When I was very sick
One of the things that scared me the most was gaining weight
The only thing worse than being depressed and under weight
Was being depressed and of a healthy weight
Or worse again
Depressed and over weight
What I didn't bank on 
Was that as I gained weight 
My mood and my thinking began to shift 
I started to see the benefits of weight regain 
Of feeding my body
Of looking after myself 
And with this 
Other things began to change 
I stopped caring so much what the scale said 
What clothes size I was 
Numbers began to mean less and less
My confidence improved markedly 
I felt more comfortable in my own skin 
Soon the benefits of recovery 
Outweighed any benefits my ED had
Because my ED served a purpose at the time
I had to find other healthier ways to meet those needs 
That is a process of trial and error
But we each find what works for us
It's different for everyone 

I guess what I'm trying to say is 
That I know recovery can seem like a million miles away 
So completely out of reach 
But I think in fact it is closer than we think
I firmly believe that recovery is possible for each of us
No matter how complicated or serious the condition
It is possible to have a life beyond ED
The thing is that we have to do it ourselves 
No one can do it for us
No matter how much they love us
Or want to do it for us 
It has to come from the person 
You can love them
And support them 
To a point 
But change must come from a persons own motivation
I know at the beginning of my recovery from addiction
I did it for my family more than myself 
But that only got me so far
And over time
I had to start to do it for myself
Or else it just wouldn't work

I guess it could be argued 
That I am in fact not in recovery
I still abuse my meds
I don't go to meetings 
But as with my ED
This is as good as it gets for me at the moment
I function as best as I can
And most of the time 
I am well and free and content
I acknowledge that things could be a lot better
If I just put a little bit of effort in 
But I am not ready to make further changes yet 
In time 
I hope I will 
But for now
This is the way things are

So today 
This post is for you 
If you are struggling 
If your ED or addiction is getting the better of you
If you are underweight
Overweight 
Or somewhere in between 
If you can't even entertain the idea of recovery 
If it seems so far away that you can't even see it
This post is for you 
If you are depressed 
Anxious 
Afraid 
Paralysed with fear
If you want to check off this planet
If you can't stand the noise in your own head
If you can't see beyond the darkness of your own mind 
If you woke this morning 
And wished that you hadn't 
If you have slipped 
Or relapsed 
This is for you

If you are struggling with another mental illness 
If you are cross addicted 
If you are suicidal
If you don't even know what is wrong with you 
If you are alone 
Lonely
If you have no one to share your burden with
If you don't have the support you need 
If you are silently suffering 
Afraid to even utter what ails you
This is for you

If you take one thing from this post 
Then please take a little bit of hope 
I am a former heroin addict
Who suffers from anorexia/bulimia
I have battled depression and anxiety 
And suicidal ideation 
But I stand here before you today
Strong 
Able
Capable 
Positive 
I fought my way here
The odds were stacked against me
I didn't think that I would make it out alive 
Didn't think I'd see thirty
But the will to survive is a strong one
The will to live also 
And now I'm so glad that I did survive 
And am here to tell my story 
And hopefully help others 
I know that is my purpose now
Some people go to university to study
And become an expert in that field 
The only subject I know a lot about is eating disorders and addiction
I know them intimately 
And I know I have been spared in order to help others 

I wish I could give a little piece of what I feel to you all
But we all have to follow our own path 
My path is still continuing 
My recovery goes on
My life goes on
I am alive 
And free
And happy 
And I am eternally grateful for that  


16 comments:

  1. Wow
    Just WoW-!!

    Rubs, you've KILLED it, yet again--just a STUNNING piece of writing.

    I'd told my counsellor abt 1,5 yrs ago that I'd been rdg 'ana' Blogs (her eyebrows shot straight up, they did!! lol) & she was concerned, but I told her, 'no, it's not like what you think: Its actually GOOD-!' I tried explaining…
    Just-recently I revisited the topic, but ESPECIALLY telling how I now had 3 Friends from BloggerLand & we maile each other-!! : ) i said how everyone is so encouraging to everyone else, in the HEALTHY way, (not 'tricks n tips') & that there is understanding you just cannot get IRL !! I shall be sharing w\her a portion of this post so she can see 1er-hand what I'm so on abt-!!! [I'd ALSO bragged on the quality of writing from several of the girls; yours will be testament of this as well-!!

    But AW, thanks yet AGAIN for being who you are: So kindly & out-reaching…& TRUTHFUL, no matter the personal cost. I'm so v glad your 'passive death-wish' didn't take !! *shudders just THINKING abt it* D:
    Please do as you've said & keep an eye on yourself-- none of us lot wish to see you in that particular 'waiting rm' again…

    Good luck on your test, & lotsa Love-! Jils
    PS: Here, u could mayhaps become a LAWYER [I thk y'ins call them "solicitors"?] in your spare time-?? If Ed were an actual person, given any face-time, you're so persuasive I daresay you'd convince even Her why she sucked…
    >: )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Jils
      For such kind words
      I write this a very Ruby
      I just had a marathon driving lesson
      I'm not hopeful about passing tomorrow
      But I will try

      I'm glad you told your counsellor that ED blogs can be positive
      I've only experienced mostly good things from the blogs here
      There are the odd dodgy ones
      But avoid them at all costs

      Thank you again
      This comment made my day x

      Delete
    2. Sorry
      Meant to write a very tired Ruby x

      Delete
    3. ; )
      no worries, I'd actually fig'd it out-!

      I'm all in Meself w/no benefit of hols to blame! Currently getting IV iron-infused to boost my lvls, w/the 'IRON-Y' being I canna tell if the treatments are wkg b/c I'm so knackered running up to hospital ev'ry other day (when I could instead be RESTING…-!?) lol NOT; I just wanna be left ALONE, basically!! :/

      In re counsellor, in Feb I let her listen to Pers' vlogs whilst caged-up Dralion was freshly recuperating from her run-away mishaps; she fot they was a RIOT-!! ^ ^

      Test, schmest: u'll do fine-! lurv 'Anon 09:45's' advice of staying in the present: Do this & kno we're ALL behind you-!
      <3 Jils
      PS: erm, but not in a 'bkseat-driver' kind of way……

      Delete
  2. It's so nice to read such thoughtful and encouraging words, that come straight from the heart. Thank you, and good luck on driving test. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much
      For your car comment and good wishes
      God knows I need them
      As ever
      I will keep you posted x

      Delete
  3. Good luck in the driving test!!
    I hope you have a nice, calm, friendly examiner! I didn't learn till my 30s either. My suggestion would be to do something to help yourself relax beforehand, not least physically, if you can, and keep trying all the way through to the end because even if you know you did something wrong, you don't know how they've graded it till you finish, so leave that to them and just focus on the present....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this valuable advice
      I'm going to relax for the evening now
      And do some practising in the morning
      I will do my best
      And if nothing else
      It will be experience x

      Delete
  4. Good luck tomorrow. Haven't you already been driving solo though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you

      I have in fact been driving for a few years
      But thus far have managed to dodge the test
      I'm not really supposed to drive alone on my learner permit
      But I do all the time x

      Delete
    2. Well in that case I do hope you pass as insurance etc is all invalid and that's the last thing you need!

      Delete
  5. i wish you would write a book, you have so much to share and it comes from your heart, love Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someday Jo Jo
      Someday I will get all this writing together in a book
      I'm just so scattered I find it hard to focus
      But I will get there x

      Delete
  6. I'm struggling with words at the moment, but I just want to say, please, please be careful dear Ruby. It sounds like you're teetering on the edge of your ED, and we all know how quickly and disastrously it can escalate. I would hate for this to happen to you, given that you've done so amazingly beyond words well to get to the point you're at now. Please be careful and I'm here for you if there's anything I can do to stop you falling down the rabbit hole. Just like you get scared and worried for others, we get scared and worried for you too.

    Wishing you all the luck you need for your driving test. For some reason, I thought you could already drive, because I thought you had a car and took your doggies for walks!! You'll be ok no matter what happens! I'll be thinking of you.

    Sending you love and hugs from across the sea. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can and do drive Annie
      I just have managed to avoid doing my test this far
      I should really have someone with me when I drive
      But I tend to bend the rules a little

      Thank you for your concern
      I really appreciate it
      I know that I'm on dodgy ground at the moment
      And need to be careful
      And I am so blessed to have people's me you in my life
      Who care enough to write to me
      Even when they are struggling themselves
      You are a star Annie
      Thank you x

      Delete
    2. 0ui; '★-Annie' !!
      <3 jils

      Delete

Thank you for leaving some love x